• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stupid Move = 2 broken PCs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jbcubed3

Hi guys,

Really stuck and need advice please!

I bought some components to try and build my brother's PC. Followed instructions but the general consensus was one of the components wasn't working properly.

I brought over some ram - didn't work so we ruled out that it was a memory issue.

So I took back his motherboard and processor and attempted to try his processor on my PC... you can tell where this is going.

I detached my heatsink and was careless - I yanked out my processor at the same time. No pins seem to have been affected, but the processor was stuck onto the heatsink whilst still locked in with the socket lever :/

So I then tried his processor on my motherboard - no luck.

I then tried my processor back into my motherboard - nothing.

So I tried my processor on his motherboard - no luck.

His processor, his motherboard - no luck.

Now when I use my processor/my motherboard, it boots but I can't turn it off by holding the power switch (don't know if this is significant?) - keeps running.

I can turn it off by holding the switch when using his processor/my motherboard.

I suspect:
His motherboard maybe broken, his processor fine
My processor broken, my motherboard fine?!

I think I've plugged everything back in:
ATX 20 pin, ATX 4 pin, 1 ram closest to processor, hard drive into Sata socket.

Tried resetting CMOS battery and took out graphics card, using onboard atm.

Have no idea what to do!

Any ideas?! Thanks in advance guys.

You do n0t say if 'any' combination of parts will *still* boot into windows. You just talk about the turning off by the power switch; not if any combination will actually work by booting to your operating system.

1. If your computer worked before you started messing with it then you have broken some part of your computer system.

2. Most likely you have hurt a pin on your processor or hurt a connection in your procesor socket.

3. The motherboard and processor for your brother's system should have been returned for replacement.

Would have been nice to know what actual components were in use or proposed use and not just mobo one and two and cpu one and two.

I would look carefully at the underside of both CPUs to check for bent pins. Go to a place where the lighting is good and turn the CPUs to various angles as you view them.

Back