• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestion for an AMD Phenom X4 9650

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SeanBest

Got this chip from work out of a dead motherboard machine. Building my brother a budget gaming machine (Source games like CS). Got the processor and a SATA HDD. Need recommendations for a decent board (probably not going to OC). Haven't decided on form factor so I can go either way. Just I'm an Intel guy so AMD is kinda throwing me as to what boards will work with an AM2+. Also a solid budget video recommendation wouldn't hurt. :)

TIA

None of the amd boards that are n0t using the newer APU, cpu/video within one chip do not game super well. So you are going to use a video card for video?

Do you need more than 2 slots for ram? You will go DDR3 ram?

You have no desire to be able to run a much later type cpu on the board?

You truly are n0t going to overclock? That 9650 is not a very fast 4 core processor.

Not a lot of sense in doing a bunch of heavy duty searching for recommned without a better understanding of where you want to go in the 'long run'.

The X4 9650 is a Phenom I CPU and will not work with an AM3/AM3+ motherboard or DDR3 ram. You will need to find an AM2+ motherboard and DDR2 ram. Make sure you get one with more than a 95W TDP rating as those Phenom I CPUs sucked a lot of juice and made a lot of heat. For the most part that would mean going with a board that has a 770 chipset or better (770, 780, 785, 790) and they will probably be boards that have four ram slots. You don't need to use all four, however.

My brother just wants a cheap budget gaming rig. Going to get a PCIE video card. Probably just 4GB of RAM. May OC some, but he just wants to play CS:S and CS:GO. Only reason I'm using this CPU is because I got it free. If it's really that bad I'll pass. But he wants a desktop under $400. Figured a free CPU would help that happen.

Actually, I did some research and that CPU is only 95W TDP so you could get by with a lesser board as long as you don't intend to overclock.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157274
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122

Do you already have the other stuff? Case, PSU, CPU cooler, Hard drive, DVD burner, OS?

Appreciate it. That's the board I was looking at. Think that's what we'll go with. Thanks for the help. Should have it ordered tonight for him.

Really nothing special. He's on a low budget and just needs Office for school (which we have already) and wants to play CS:S, CS:GO, Minecraft, and maybe Borderlands 2 when it comes out. I think this should play it, on lower settings OK.

Back