• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions for 7000//7700 Owners:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
KJSatz said:
Also an idea there. So you took out the default fan I presume?
Have not done it yet, but yes, I would take out the stock fan before doing that.

In other news I just managed to break a blade off the stock fan so it looks like I don't have much choice now... I'll be back in a few to tell you how it went.

EDIT: If anyone is interested in seeing how it turned out... See: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=3890123#post3890123

Last edited:
Replaced the fan on my 7700AlCu with a Maddog (loon something or other fan unbadged that I heard of from another forum)120mm Whispering Fan. Same speed there abouts but better temps. Load temps went down by avg of 3°C overall!! Fan throws out 60cfm which is 2x more than Zalman fan.
No difference in sound either. A bit different pitch but not noticable over other Delta fans in case.

i copied solid and got a delta tri-blade, turned out awesome but didn't have a pinvise so had to use a dremel to drill/make indentations so the screws wouldn't mess up. Want to try this with a 7700cu and a delta again.

-1cem4n

1cem4n said:
i copied solid and got a delta tri-blade, turned out awesome but didn't have a pinvise so had to use a dremel to drill/make indentations so the screws wouldn't mess up. Want to try this with a 7700cu and a delta again.

-1cem4n

what the hell is a pinvise? I just placed the bracket on the bottom of the fan, marked 2 holes with a sharpie, and used a standard drill...

it's like a drill bit except it's hand powered and you just twist it. I got it though. I used my dremel. yay for me it's not that loud

-1cem4n

SolidxSnake said:
You're Sanyo's pull away from the hub? Most fans blow into the hub, and not away.

@Ven0m: Yeah, I figured a mirror finish would always be better. Think about it:

A flat surface without mirror finish is FLAT, but has scratches which = less contact with the CPU. It contacts the CPU, but has scratches.

A flat surface WITh a mirror finish must be flat AND smooth, which = more contact with the CPU.

Noob question, but isn't the point with AS5 to fill in scratches to provide optimal contact? shouldn't this work whether the base is lapped or not?

just because you can't se the scratches doesn't mean they aren't there, if you looked at the bottom of a heatsink which had been lapped to a "mirror finish" under a high powered microscope odds are you would still see scratches...

Exactly. So apart from raised corners on cpus, why should a few scratches make a difference if you're using AS5?

Happy13178 said:
Exactly. So apart from raised corners on cpus, why should a few scratches make a difference if you're using AS5?

Flat heatsink base = less paste used. Even the best pastes can be considered thermal insluaton when compared to copper or aluminum.

Back