• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions for a 2P Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adak

This came up with RealMadrid, in another thread about GPU folding, but it needs a thread all it's own.

In general, it's been noted that a 4P system is better, because you can run it in 2P mode, and then when you are ready to upgrade, simply add the other cpu's, memory, and heatsinks. (Note that Windows is more picky about the cpu's it will run - they should have the same stepping and revision, and only Windows Server will recognize more than two cpu's).

With the QRB being such a big part of the points, a 4P rig is certainly a better than X 2 point producer, compared to a 2P folding rig with the same cpu's.

If however, 2P is the way you want to go, with a sense of frugality and an emphasis on folding power, here are some suggestions.

Please add your own suggestions.

Components for the 6174 2P Build:

Supermicro H8DGI-F-O EATX server $479.99 (has on-board video)
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-H8DGIF&c=CJ

cpu's: 6174 AMD Opterons, approx. $500.00
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=opteron+6174&_frs=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m359

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7Q-8GBXH 2 x $59.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m1132X509988X71a288a48c4569017dde2a8491f4686c

HSF: Cooler Master 212+ 2 X $33.99 ea.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-

1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

LG Electronics GH24NS70B 24X SATA Super Multi DVD+/-RW Internal Drive (Black), Bulk w/o Software $18.49 (but see combo deal
directly below this, also)
http://www.superbiiz.com/query.php?...+24X+SATA+Super+Multi+DVD+/-RW+Internal+Drive

Case: - anything you like with good overall ventilation, and able to fit the Cooler Master hsf's AND an Extended ATX mobo.

Cooler Master HAF model 932, etc. is a popular choice. $139.99 (combo deal: dvd burner ends 3/31)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 160 GB $74.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148698

Power Supply: Corsair AX850 Modular, Gold efficiency, plenty of power, and great customer service and a long warranty. $189.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo
The people who handle Corsair's rebates are absolutely horrid - don't trust them, at all.

Small hardware pieces for the Hyper 212+ conversion to fit G34 (about $20)

Not included:
==========
Monitor (not needed, after set up)
Keyboard (not needed after set up)
Mouse (not needed after set up)
Thermal Interface Material

To monitor the server's folding, you'll have the server data cable go to the same router you use. Now set up sharing on the
fah directory of the server. Use your regular FAH monitoring software, and it can "see" and report the folding progress.
Code:
Summary:
===================
 479.99 mobo
1000.00 cpus
 119.98 ram
  67.98 hsfs
  18.49 optical drive
 139.99 case
  74.99 hd
 189.99 psu
  20.00 misc hardware
===================
$2,111.41 Sub Total
          Tax
          Shipping
===================
          Total

I'm sure the above prices could be lowered somewhat, by thoughtful comparison shopping, etc.

Last edited:
Jmtyra: You could add this as another titled section in the 4P mega thread... something like "2p route to 4p" or what ever...

You rock Adak, thanks for the list-o-goods!

Adak,

For me this thread is yet more encouragement to make-the-leap; I have express consent granted by my wife, to spend...oh say, uh $1500 "or so" on a new dream rig to celebrate my retirement. ;)

You're all very welcome! Thanks, and rock fold on! :soda:

Well you can't call it budget 2P, thats $500 more then I spent for 4P. :)

Wouldn't intel be the to go for OCing on 2P? Or are those Mobo's too expensive?

I would recommend SSD for HD,30GB@$50 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227460

Yes, it can be reduced, by using 6128's for instance.

You can't overclock the new Sandy Bridge Xeon's. You were thinking Westmere, like the SR-2 uses? Mid-range is right around $1,500 for one, new. I don't know what's available on Ebay, etc. They would be faster folders, of course, but also they'd use a LOT more power. I don't think a lot of folders would want to pay that much for set up, and pay again when they get their electric bill.

Thanks! :D

I'll be taking a little downtime, probably the rest of the year, then perhaps venture into something different, employment-wise, most likely part-time.
Retiree's don't fade away they end up here in Green...It doesn't pay much and its thankless, and you'll be disliked.... so its perfect for you:sn: Did I mention overworked?:D

Adak can you check that Cpu link, I can't get it to work. (Chrome)

Curious as to why you went with that supermicro specifically.

I went with the ASUS KGPE-D16 for $420, has onboard video also.

I started buying parts for my 2P back in Nov. while 6128's were going for $150+ on ebay. Prices the way they are now for $1500 Id try and put together a 4P 6128 rig. Only about $250 more for the motherboard, you actually save money going with 4 6128's over even 1 6174 let alone a pair. And PPD I'd guess is around 60-80,000ppd higher with the 4p 6128 over 2p 6174's.

4p 6128 vs 2p 6174 may not be as competitive in PPD/watt, and total heat output I would bet is greater which I guess could be a factor for some but as a 2p folder myself I dont really see a way to do a "budget" 2P when the budget 4P offers all of the above mentioned pros.

I just follow this stuff loosely so if I have numbers way out of whack let me know because Im planning a budget 4P within the next 12 months.

Last edited:
^ Give us a link Friday..Its a parts thread and Adak's always looking for suggestions.:D

Link added ASUS KGPE-D16 at $430 Egg

Please add your own suggestions.
I'm sure the above prices could be lowered somewhat, by thoughtful comparison shopping, etc.

Yes, it can be reduced, by using 6128's for instance.
Adak I don't think the 6128's would cut it at 2P. Do you?

Last edited:
Sorry dfonda didnt want to push the Asus yet because I dont know if there is something the Supermicro offered the Asus does not.

I have read some stuff about people with hacked BIOS being able to do a little OC on some supermicro boards, didnt know if that could be applicable here. If it was I like a supermicro @$480 with OC potential over the Asus @$420 stock

Adak I don't think the 6128's would cut it at 2P. Do you?

I'll chime in and vote no, my dual 24 core 2P will do a 6903 in 3 days, preferred deadline is 5 days. Dual 6128's would cut it awfully close and I think make the QRB negligible. This is kind of what we call....speculation.

@Dave:
Mobo link works in Firefox, but the forum software does shorten it - here's another try:
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-H8DGIF&c=CJ

Yes, two 6128's would be cutting it very close to the deadline, and also make the bonus for a quick return, very small. If you're going to save money by going for the 2P instead of the 4P system, it becomes more important to pick the faster cpu's for that system.

Which brings us right back to the "Go 4P in your choice of case and mobo now, even if you can afford only 2P right now. Add the other 2P later", idea.

The price is good on that SSD, but read the feedback - sounds dodgy.

@OpenFriday:
I won't recommend Asus server boards, until Asus fixes it's BADLY broken, customer service. I like, use, and recommend, Asus's single cpu boards, but not their server boards.

Try again;) (I may want to put in a bid)

Sorry Dave, I double checked the wrong link - fixing it now.

SSD's are nice, but my old Barracuda drives spend only 15 seconds reading the raw data, and writing out the final output file, and they're reliable. I've been using the Seagate Barracuda drive that I put into the parts list, for several years now.

Code:
[05:51:01] Completed 250000 out of 250000 steps  (100%)
[05:51:33] DynamicWrapper: Finished Work Unit: sleep=10000

*****************   Mandatory sleeping for 10 seconds as Cores Shut Down *****************

[05:51:43] 
[05:51:43] Finished Work Unit:

*****************  Begin Reading Raw Data File, for bigadv *******************************

[05:51:43] - Reading up to 121622496 from "work/wudata_03.trr": Read 121622496
[05:51:45] trr file hash check passed.
[05:51:45] - Reading up to 108810252 from "work/wudata_03.xtc": Read 108810252
[05:51:46] xtc file hash check passed.
[05:51:46] edr file hash check passed.
[05:51:46] logfile size: 209045
[05:51:46] Leaving Run

*****************  Done Reading Raw Data File, Elapsed Time was 3 Seconds *****************

*****************  Begin Writing Output File for Stanford  ********************************
[05:51:48] - Writing 230814785 bytes of core data to disk...
[05:53:00] Done: 230814273 -> 222480325 (compressed to 3.3 percent)

*****************  Done Writing Output File, Elapsed time was 12 seconds ******************
[05:53:00]   ... Done.
[05:53:34] - Shutting down core
[05:53:34] 
[05:53:34] Folding@home Core Shutdown: FINISHED_UNIT
[05:53:37] CoreStatus = 64 (100)

Total HD time for handling the end of a bigadv work unit: 15 seconds.

Last edited:
Yeah the only reason I recommend them is they are so cheap for the 30GB models. The Ubuntu installs are very fast and it boots and shuts down fast. I have a 3 year old SSD , still going strong.

thanks for the link fix. I am bookmarking and looking for sales.

@OpenFriday:
I won't recommend Asus server boards, until Asus fixes it's BADLY broken, customer service. I like, use, and recommend, Asus's single cpu boards, but not their server boards.

Thats a fair point, I went with the Asus not only for the lower price but because I was familiar with their single CPU boards. I had no problems with the board so cant comment on their customer service. Im going to have this Asus for life as it will eventually make its way to my daily rig (Browsing and word processing) so it will be interesting to see how long its lifespan is. I expect big things for $400+.

Back