• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions for a New Gaming Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MotherBear

: Hi everyone,

Looking to build a high-end gaming PC for my son and I. My son also wants to record videos for Youtube and stream live. Hoping to get some advice/suggestions from the community as everything listed here is my son's idea and I would like to make sure that these parts will work well together.

The price range I'm looking at spending is approximately $2,000.00

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 6-Core 3.50Ghz
GPU: MSI GTX 980TI Gaming 6GB
(Display is still 1920x1080, but will move up to 4k in the near future, can this handle 4k with good FPS?)

Motherboard: Asus ROG Rampage V Extreme/U
or
Motherboard: MSI Gaming X99A Godlike Gaming LGA 2011-v3

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 2800Mhz
M.2 Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280
SSD Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB
HD: WD Black Series 3TB 7200RPM
Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GT 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler

Parts that my son already owns:

PSU: Corsair Professional Gold 1200W 80+ Gold
Case Phantom 820 Gunmetal
Windows 10

As for the CPU should I stick with the i7-5930k or remake the build around the new 6th Generation processors? I'm not sure which is better for gaming and thinking about future proofing a little as well.

Alright that's about it I think...Thank you all for your time in reading this.

I look forward to reading your thoughts and opinions.

Thank you in advance for your help in this and I look forward to reading your comments!

Nice rig.

Regarding 4k, to play everything maxed out@60fps, you'll need a 1080, and you'll have to make some compromise on settings for most demanding games.

The 6700K is a lovely CPU, so is the 5820k or the 5930k.

As you are streaming live, the 6 cores is a better choice IMO (go for the 5820k, and save some bucks...).

For the MoBo, grab an Asrock Extreme 6, or anything in the $250/300 range, useless to go with top end boards unless you go LN2/Dice.

You don't need a motherboard that expensive unless you need all the features, if you have the money go for the six core CPU like you picked out for future proofing. I would go for one GTX 1070 or 1080 so you can purchase 2 for SLI for good frame rates with a 4K monitor in the future.

4k Gaming

That was a fantastic rig.... last year. This year theres a new x99 chipset out, new gpu's out, new motherboards out, new everything really lol.

You're also paying a LOT for m.2, make sure you really want/need that, as the practical differences between m.2 and sata are pretty negligible at best (you load windows a few seconds faster, thats about it).

http://techreport.com/review/29221/samsung-950-pro-512gb-ssd-reviewed/4

+1

Also SSD is a much better choice for the money, M.2 will not get you better FPS in games, At least not better than SSD. It might load it a few seconds faster than SSD but its not worth the money.

+1

Also SSD is a much better choice for the money, M.2 will not get you better FPS in games, At least not better than SSD. It might load it a few seconds faster than SSD but its not worth the money.

That particular M.2 SSD isn't any better than the SATA version of the same drive, since it still has the same bandwidth as the SATA version. The 950 Pro would be a performance upgrade, but I agree that for the money, a SATA drive would be a better buy right now.

You don't need a motherboard that expensive unless you need all the features, if you have the money go for the six core CPU like you picked out for future proofing. I would go for one GTX 1070 or 1080 so you can purchase 2 for SLI for good frame rates with a 4K monitor in the future.

4k Gaming

So, in a few words, no single GPU is ready yet for 4K... Sad...

That was a fantastic rig.... last year. This year theres a new x99 chipset out, new gpu's out, new motherboards out, new everything really lol.
The X99 chipsets are all exactly the same from the ones 2 years ago, just the new boards ship with default bios support for broadwell-e, older boards just need a bios update.
There is also another issue on the terrible overclocking of the broadwell-e cpu's compared to the haswell-e series.

The X99 chipsets are all exactly the same from the ones 2 years ago, just the new boards ship with default bios support for broadwell-e, older boards just need a bios update.
There is also another issue on the terrible overclocking of the broadwell-e cpu's compared to the haswell-e series.

It's an architecture change, and not even close to all the boards work with a simple "bios update".

There's "overclocking issues" because people are expecting 10 core i7s to overclock like their 4 core counterparts.

It's an architecture change, and not even close to all the boards work with a simple "bios update".

There's "overclocking issues" because people are expecting 10 core i7s to overclock like their 4 core counterparts.

From what I've seen in the various review, the 10 cores overclocks actually better than its 6/8 cores counterparts...

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2016/06/09/asus-x99-a-ii-review/1
Right in the beginning mentions pretty much all boards will work with a bios update (assuming said manufacturer puts out the update and doesnt hold it back to sell new boards...)

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/05/broadwell-e-arrives-testing-intels-10-core-1700-desktop-cpu/
Near the bottom, says its the same exact chipset from 2 years ago

http://techfrag.com/2016/05/11/x99-chipset-based-asus-motherboards-revealed/
Again a "simple bios update" is all thats needed for existing boards

As I said, there is nothing new about the X99 chipset on the new boards compared to the old ones, even my low end x99 board I updated the bios and have support up to the 6950X.

And the overclocking problem was for the comparable haswell and broadwell cpus rather then the 10 core chip
Like the 6800k requires a ton more voltage to overclock compared to 5820k, but these are the same problems that stem from broadwell.

Last edited:
So it's not an architecture change and 100% of all boards work with the broadwelllE chips. That's what you're saying here? What's your point, exactly? Are you recommending he stick with haswell over broadwell???

edit: for straight gaming and streaming, he is better off with a z170 system anyway.

Last edited:
^Actually, an Haswell-E might be a best bet than a Broadwell-E overclocking wise...

It seems that latest Haswell-E batches overclock decently, and with a 2 to 5% IPC increase from Haswell to Broadwell, well, it's a though decision to make!

^Actually, an Haswell-E might be a best bet than a Broadwell-E overclocking wise...

It seems that latest Haswell-E batches overclock decently, and with a 2 to 5% IPC increase from Haswell to Broadwell, well, it's a though decision to make!

Which is absolutely fine. His budget is 2000$, Im not even close to suggesting he blow half tthat on a cpu/mobo anyway. He's probably better off getting a 6600k and 1080/1070 for his uses anyway. X99 is a weird spot right now, even with overclocking involved, it does have some limited features compared to z170. Core count is the only consideration, and I think we'd all recommend the lower tier 6 core, but given the nature of gaming and streaming, the 6600k is the better solution.

The 6800k is a good chip, 4.4ghz seems to come pretty easily, which is really overkill for most tasks anyway.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/DRkCJV

but I'd personally go this route with his necessities

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/nPn3Cy

Which is absolutely fine. His budget is 2000$, Im not even close to suggesting he blow half tthat on a cpu/mobo anyway. He's probably better off getting a 6600k and 1080/1070 for his uses anyway. X99 is a weird spot right now, even with overclocking involved, it does have some limited features compared to z170. Core count is the only consideration, and I think we'd all recommend the lower tier 6 core, but given the nature of gaming and streaming, the 6600k is the better solution.

The 6800k is a good chip, 4.4ghz seems to come pretty easily, which is really overkill for most tasks anyway.

I think it was on toms hardware, they needed 1.45v to get to 4.4, as you can image the cpu was overheating like crazy at this setting and the corsair aio's couldnt keep up with it
anyway

I was thinking more along the lines of this
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/jLyD3F

Notes:
cpu aio is actually the swiftech h240x2 (but isnt listed under pc part picker) http://www.performance-pcs.com/complete-kits/swiftech-h240-x2-aio-cpu-liquid-cooling-kit.html

asrock extreme4 is a very good board for $100+ less, no reason to pay more money just for the asus branding (I also never cared for the cheap plastic looking shell on those board imo)

the ram I swapped out for a cheaper and faster g.skill kit

swapped the ssd and hdd for much better stuff, you are just asking for trouble with a 3TB drive and seagate, extremely high failure rate

the PSU the op mentioned he/she already has a corsair AX1200i, no reason for another psu

and finally the gpu, swapped that for a custom pcb and cooler from evga for less $, the reference design just overheats and thermal throttling kicks in, of course finding any in stock will be the real problem...

Last edited:

but I'd personally go this route with his necessities

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/nPn3Cy

If he gets a 1070 or 1080 the i5 6600k might bottleneck it... (especially the 1080)
He probably better off with a 6700k :p

A 6600K would not be a bottleneck for a 1080.

It's the fastest IPC on the market, and HT is irrelevant for most games.

A 6600K would not be a bottleneck for a 1080.

It's the fastest IPC on the market, and HT is irrelevant for most games currently.

Fixed that. Nobody knows when developers will start coding for more threads as the norm, but it is happening and as games get more advanced, HT will become more of a necessity than a luxury.

Back