• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions for a New Gaming Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
HT nets a 20% increase in perf per core... Virtual is not physical. And still, IPC is king: see how "well" 8 cores FX performs in games.

If more cores are needed, it would make more sense to get a 5820K/5930K or its Broadwell-E counterparts.

HT nets a 20% increase in perf per core... Virtual is not physical. And still, IPC is king: see how "well" 8 cores FX performs in games.

If more cores are needed, it would make more sense to get a 5820K/5930K or its Broadwell-E counterparts.

The 6 and 8 core i7s are considerably more expensive, while for $100 more than an i5, you can get HT and more performance for the games that support more than 4 threads. Also, 20% is 20% man, sure it's a ~35% markup but still, it's performance.

Sure it is! ;)

After hesitating quite a bit, I went with the 5820K, got a good deal on an Asrock X99 Extreme6/3.1 open box for a bit less than 200euro, plus 400euro CPU and 150e memory. 750bucks, that a bit less than what a 6700k/Z170 would have cost me.

What games need hyper thread to run well, do you have a links? DirectX 12 will load all the cores more even so that you can use fewer cores in the future.

directx 12.jpg

Sure it is! ;)

After hesitating quite a bit, I went with the 5820K, got a good deal on an Asrock X99 Extreme6/3.1 open box for a bit less than 200euro, plus 400euro CPU and 150e memory. 750bucks, that a bit less than what a 6700k/Z170 would have cost me.

:pics:

Some benchmarks/screenshots would be much appreciated!

Back