• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Summary Of AMD's Details For 1ST Q 07 & More

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
"Remarkable successs means more complexity." You know.. isnt that the what they said that got them into this mess to begin with? The whole.. taking over ATI, and squandering their funds on way too many projects while they should have kept focused on well.. you know.. CPUs?

why not wait until the results of there ati acquisition come to pass? it might just be enough to stay with intel even though theyre way ahead now. amd has stated ideas about using a socket for gfx cards now. just an idea

the gpu sockets thing has been around for a while. But you have to remember that intel is a huge company compared to AMD, so AMD will always have to strive to come out on top (where as Intel can through cash at lots of projects at once). One thing is clear though, AMD won't go under, i won't allow it (could you imagine only having Intel's in the cpu market. Monopoly is not good)

SeasonalEclipse said:
"Remarkable successs means more complexity." You know.. isnt that the what they said that got them into this mess to begin with? The whole.. taking over ATI, and squandering their funds on way too many projects while they should have kept focused on well.. you know.. CPUs?

i think they meant to say "mo' money, mo' problems"

AngelfireUk83 said:
also intresting Hector Ruiz congrats INTEL on catching up but says how it's taken 4 years for them to do it.
Catching up and overtaking them is what he should have said.

I would be depressed if AMD were to go under. They're no where near that.

If you think about it, WORST CASE... AMD can remain the budget CPU while INTEL becomes the performance CPU... that (in my opinion) is worst case, but even then AMD will still have the chance to come up top.

Basically, AMD may not stay up top for a long time, but they'll always have the potential for it. For the consumer's sake, let's hope things play out the way they normally do, though I must say that the whole AMD-ATI merger thing really put a different spin on things.

SeasonalEclipse said:

Remember that enthusiasts are a pretty focused market niche. That purchase of ATI will pay off big divedends in 2008 and beyond, when integrated GPU/CPU solutions start hitting the market. Keep in mind that the real money is in low-mid-range parts and OEM deals. The fact that AMD has lost the current king-of-the-hill speed battle means very little in the big picture. What reall hurts AMD is their (current) lack of cash on hand, and their never-ending inability to strike large OEM deals.

Aside from Intel, ATI ships more notebook GPUs than anyone. They've also go their little chips in lots of TVs and other home theater products. If (IF!!!) AMD can position a low-power, integrated GPU/CPU solution and market it ala Intel's Centrino line, then they'll do well.

I take note of the negative points in a case like this but really watch what they are doing in terms of production. That us what investors are doing and they are the money supply. Reading AMD's Quarterly tells me that although some delays are expected, most of the players are ready. This includes and Dells and HPs out there waiting on server hardware.

What we (OC community) did wrong.
We are only enthusiasts here so our view is of minor importance to the production levels. Where we help comes in is in consumer confidence. What the people that jumped ship and trashed AMD did was brought down the importance of enthusiasts even more. We still count but until people realize that it's still better on the green side then support for our niche will be end stocks. If you have Intel hardware that replaced AMD, I'm not saying you should dump it and buy a slower rig, we just didn't need the thread crapping we saw a few months ago trying to lure people over to the blue chip. My emphasis is on thread crapping, I'm not against bragging in the intel section, thats what we all do.
What AMD did wrong
Allowing the FX DSDC system to roll with so little support and explanation. The two big complaints were Power factor and lack of mobo selection. First Power factor; Most of our heavy hitters here have 500-1000 watt psus, that was not a big an issue as it was put out to be. Sure it took more power with two physical chips, two sets of ram, two north bridges (680s) and a host of other server like capabilities. It's a fantastic package but it's takes power to run that kind of horsepower. It was just technology too late.
Second; More boards would have improved the image. With a single north bridge, non-sli and single cpu versions would have given more options.

Moving Forward
K10-Barcelona, Stars will be some major power houses that level the playing field. From there, AMD has to move to 45nm and High K transistors that both chippers are running to. I hope someone with AMD is monitoring this, a lot of us are banking on there success because they have IMO a better product (just not the fastest).

Now looking at this new line up of chips I have my shopping list of needs that I think will make these chips move.
Motherboards we need;
*Overclockable in decked out with the works for the Uber gamers with full SLI/Crossfire support.
*MATX and DTX versions for the budget line and support moderat ocs.
*A DTX style Basre bones board that is rich on speed but not full of features. We want the to work like servers but allow to be oced and just crunch numbers. We fold on them and render on them. Just simple network, onboard video, no HDPCTV super video, no DX10, just something that crunches. We could use a serve board but they only accept ECC ram and most support no OC.
* Of coarse we do still need the HDTV boards with sound and extra slots and enough USB ports to run a media center. People are not going to rush out to by Barcelona chips for HDPC PVRs at this time so those can wait until fall.

I think personally AMD/ATi will definatly have the edge when it comes to CPU/GPU projects in 2008 everyone knows INTEL's intergrated graphics are crap. But unless INTEL have invested in that department then who knows I would like to see all that stuff you mentioned I really would.

At end of year I will be building the latest system from AMD as long as it's worth it I will be keeping my 939 rig. I recently just built it cos before x-mas I sold my aging SkA system and have invested to much cash into my 939 (hardware in the UK is a price con we pay too much).

But hopefully AMD will start to come out on the right track.

AngelfireUk83 said:
I think personally AMD/ATi will definatly have the edge when it comes to CPU/GPU projects in 2008 everyone knows INTEL's intergrated graphics are crap. But unless INTEL have invested in that department then who knows I would like to see all that stuff you mentioned I really would.

From what I understand, Intel has a more capable integrated graphics chip in the works, one that is DX 10 capable:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/24/intels-crestline-integrated-graphics-to-run-directx-10/

If you look back at the Yonah team I think you will find they were working on a different product and midstream created the beginnings of Conroe with Yonah and Merom. Takeing that into account and the fact that Intel has experience in onboard gfx, it's just a step to create a graphics core.

I'm sure where we are headed is a common socket system that supports CPUs, GPUs and PPUs (Computational, Graphics and Physics). Such a mobo would have 3 sets of dimm slots "eek:

AlabamaCajun said:
If you look back at the Yonah team I think you will find they were working on a different product and midstream created the beginnings of Conroe with Yonah and Merom. Takeing that into account and the fact that Intel has experience in onboard gfx, it's just a step to create a graphics core.

I'm sure where we are headed is a common socket system that supports CPUs, GPUs and PPUs (Computational, Graphics and Physics). Such a mobo would have 3 sets of dimm slots "eek:

I agree that we're moving to a common socket (if common sense prevails, that is - although someone will want to make it proprietary). However, I doubt you'll see GPUs using any form of plug-in memory. The bus (GPU -> Mem) is just too expensive for GPUs. I think you'll see a socketed GPU, but with some form of on-board memory, coupled with lots of RAM backing up the on-chip (not necessarily on-die) memory.

aaronjb said:
I agree that we're moving to a common socket (if common sense prevails, that is - although someone will want to make it proprietary). However, I doubt you'll see GPUs using any form of plug-in memory. The bus (GPU -> Mem) is just too expensive for GPUs. I think you'll see a socketed GPU, but with some form of on-board memory, coupled with lots of RAM backing up the on-chip (not necessarily on-die) memory.
I say drop the ram on a chip carrier like a cpu in one socket with a small heatsink. They/ ram makers can make a single die ram or multi die carrier.
I say do it.

AngelfireUk83 said:
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39130

AMD are to mortgage itselfs for another $1.8bill dollars even thou they are short in cash for the year and are supposed to making cuts upto $500 mill. The extra money they will be getting is to fund expansion which I find weird.

Not too weird, becuase it's all about yield volumes in the chip industry. They need to ramp up capacity big time, and it sounds like they're betting the company on next-generation sockets and integrated CPU/GPUs.

Everything is K10 now and from tracking news and product for the last 2 quarters, it looks like aaron's statement is true. Product lines have been streamlined. Opterons aside, desktop CPUs are centered on a 2 Sempys for the budget line, 3 Brisbanes for the middle ground and the higher end Windsors. The new/revised FX line is just 3 chips also (These were supposed to be ours (OCers) but the Conroes were sweeter this time. Other chips are just production runs mostly by chartered. AMD also has to get FAB 30 turned into a 300mm wafer plant and they need that starting in 08 or 09 to meet the demand for four bangers.

It's On! ... Soon I hope :drool:

AlabamaCajun said:
Opterons aside, desktop CPUs are centered on a 2 Sempys for the budget line, 3 Brisbanes for the middle ground and the higher end Windsors.
You're saying there will only be 2 Semprons, 3 Brisbanes and 3 Windsors??

g0dM@n said:
I would be depressed if AMD were to go under. They're no where near that.

If you think about it, WORST CASE... AMD can remain the budget CPU while INTEL becomes the performance CPU... that (in my opinion) is worst case, but even then AMD will still have the chance to come up top.

Basically, AMD may not stay up top for a long time, but they'll always have the potential for it. For the consumer's sake, let's hope things play out the way they normally do, though I must say that the whole AMD-ATI merger thing really put a different spin on things.

More than 10 years ago, that's what AMD was - the budget processor company. And it was a viable niche back then, but I'm not sure it is anymore. The reason it worked back then was because AMD and Intel processors shared the same socket. Now that their technologies have diverged to completely separate paths, I don't think AMD can survive if they are not at least competitive at the high end.

g0dM@n said:
You're saying there will only be 2 Semprons, 3 Brisbanes and 3 Windsors??
No, that's the current line up but I don't see it growing until AMD gets K10s in sockets on servers!

I'm getting impatient, who can get me a chip :bang head

Back