• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Supercharged Noctua NH D14

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The Yate Loon D14SH-12 is the first one that comes to mind for me.

It's a 140mm high-speed fan. Spins at 2000 RPM +/-5%, rated to move 140CFM, but it's loud as all hell at 48-50DB depending upon where you look. And move air it does, I own one and I'd say it moves as much air as my Delta EFB1212SHE fans, if not more.

It has little to no static pressure build-up though, so probably not very good for water cooling radiators, but might work on a heatsink if other fans used do have some decent level of static pressure.

Yeah, I've got two of those Yate Loon D14SH-12 fans but I'm talking about a 140x25mm fan that will turn at 3000 rpms or better like the Delta 120x25mm I have. That's what I mean by a screamer!

IMO the D14SH-12 is a good compromise between pushing air and noise. At full speed they are quieter than the fans that shipped with my Nepton 280L but don't push quite as hard. But I see no change in temps when substituting the stock CM fans with the Yate Loons. And they throttle down better on a fan speed controller than the stock CM fans do. Less impedance I guess.

surface is everything!
if you want to get closer to ambient, you need a way bigger heatsink
no fan in the world can blow away more as what the HS is able to "transport" away from the IHS and dissipate into the air ... C/W you know. Even freezing cold air would not bring you closer to ambient when the max dissipation capacity is reached.

This is where watercooling beats traditional "air", because a radiator is basically a heatsink with a LOT more surface area.

Depends on the water cooler radiator and the air cooler being referenced. Not all water cooler radiators have more surface area than all air coolers. It still depends on the individual units being compared. Many of the high end air coolers have a lot of fins packed closely together. What you say would certainly be true of most custom water loops but not true of a lot of AIO units.

This of course does not mean that bolting 5 MO-RA rads in series is gonna bring you any closer to ambient if you are pumping +3v into the CPU. Even while 5 MO-RA's could probably dissipate a few KiloWatts :)

Because the problem moves away from the heatsink/radiator/surface area, the problem moves to the heatsink/waterblock base & the IHS. A square inch copper wb/hs base just does not have the capacity/surface to move that much heat away fast enough from the even smaller chip. This is where the rubber hits the road, isn't it! The CPU companies need to go back and start making larger cores again for the sake of us overclockers. Down with this smaller fab process stuff!

Now, IF you could only lay your hands on some UnObtainium to make a HS/WB base, but Conumdrum and me have split the worlds stash between us :)

What is an option thou when using a few MO-Ra's in series, is to stuff a TEC-stack between WB base and IHS :)

TEC-stack? What's this? "Thermal Electric something"? Phase change?

1 Which is why most AIO coolers dont outperform top end AIR , a thin , low FPI, 240mm alu rad just does not have what is needed... copper rules !

2 nah, not back to larger cores... moar, much MOAR cores per suare inch and carbon nanotubes integrated in the chip and between chip & IHS :)

3. TEC stacks... the things that kill motherboards, eats the skin of your fingers and burns down houses.... head over to the extreme cooling section and browse a bit in the peltier/TEC section :attn:

tec multistage below, not to be confused with stacking

plus some reading : http://www.tecpeltier.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19

Attachments

• multistage_msxx-xx_450x320.jpg
    multistage_msxx-xx_450x320.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
I tried 2x 38x120s on my old d14. I only saw a 2c drop. I was a bit surprised, thought it would have been better.. I removed them shortly afterwards because the whole top of my mobo was just heat sink and fan. I later sold the d14.

I was planning on getting a delta fan for my ven x(Getting it from a friend), to see how to compares to my gt ap 15s in PP.
http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835213005

its rated @.70A, My mobo CPU fan header has max 1A, will prolonged use of this fan cause the header to burn out?

Good question. I would be concerned about that but I can't say for sure. All my fans are on rheostat type controller in my drive bay so they get their power directly from the PSU.

I tried 2x 38x120s on my old d14. I only saw a 2c drop. I was a bit surprised, thought it would have been better.. I removed them shortly afterwards because the whole top of my mobo was just heat sink and fan. I later sold the d14.

Cooler surface area is where it's at, not fans. Messing around with fans gives marginal improvement and the law of diminishing returns sets in quickly. After a certain point pushing more air doesn't help because most all of the heat has already been removed. Now, fans would make a significant difference if the stock ones were grossly inadequate but that usually isn't the case.

Last edited:
Cooler surface area is where it's at, not fans. Messing around with fans gives marginal improvement and the law of diminishing returns sets in quickly. After a certain point pushing more air doesn't help because most all of the heat has already been removed. Now, fans would make a significant difference if the stock ones were grossly inadequate but that usually isn't the case.
^yes, totally agreed :)
I run two GT AP15s, they are just great.
I highly doubt a 38mm high speed fan would give a significant drop in temps.

I'll probably swap my ven x with a d14, I wonder how the ap15s would do against the stock noctuas. I think it would do better, but by how much is the question :D

^yes, totally agreed :)
I run two GT AP15s, they are just great.
I highly doubt a 38mm high speed fan would give a significant drop in temps.

I'll probably swap my ven x with a d14, I wonder how the ap15s would do against the stock noctuas. I think it would do better, but by how much is the question :D

I studied exactly that question in one of the chapters in this link. There are some heatsinks -- the predecessor to the VenX was one, I think -- which would benefit from more powerful fans. But as noted above, for any particular heatsink there is a point of diminishing returns.

I would think coolers that are thick, have very closely packed fins and whose stock fans are wimpy would benefit significantly from high static pressure fans or adding a pull fan.

I think also you may see more benefit with better fans as you move into higher wattage overclocking and the differential between the temp of the cooler surfaces and ambient becomes greater. In other words, it actually becomes more efficient.

I would think coolers that are thick, have very closely packed fins and whose stock fans are wimpy would benefit significantly from high static pressure fans or adding a pull fan.

I think also you may see more benefit with better fans as you move into higher wattage overclocking and the differential between the temp of the cooler surfaces and ambient becomes greater. In other words, it actually becomes more efficient.

yes,
congrats, you got it :thup: it takes most people waaaaay longer to get there :)

Sorry if that sounds patronising, it isn't meant to sound like that. But i always have a moment of mixed relief & joy when we can welcome somebody to "our side" :welcome:

However, while you can now occasionally sigh in despair at some of the questions posted, dont yet start standing in front of a mirror pointing at yourself saying "Who's da man? Who's da guru?"
:p

Just a bit teasing you :)

No offense taken, RnRollie. Thanks for the affirmation.

So I'm guessing another corollary of this (practically speaking) is that it may be a waste of money to sink big bucks into an expensive mega cooler when CPU max load temps are well within the safe range and watts are not big. Reason being they won't give much cooler temps anyway. It's like hauling a yard of gravel. It can be done just as well or better with a pickup truck. A dump truck isn't needed. But if you are hauling 10 yards of gravel then the dump truck is actually more efficient.

No offense taken, RnRollie. Thanks for the affirmation.

So I'm guessing another corollary of this (practically speaking) is that it may be a waste of money to sink big bucks into an expensive mega cooler when CPU max load temps are well within the safe range and watts are not big. Reason being they won't give much cooler temps anyway. It's like hauling a yard of gravel. It can be done just as well or better with a pickup truck. A dump truck isn't needed. But if you are hauling 10 yards of gravel then the dump truck is actually more efficient.

okay....
I did it,
sinked a 65watt CPU by a 50watt fan :D

10652352543_4e8b44cbbf_c.jpg

the cooler even worth more than the system :chair:

inVain, in your hot climate, you need all the cooling you can get. What CPU are you using there.

an old athlon 64 X2 4000+ (please don't ban me for keeping this such artifact of the century) :chair:
that ancient cpu was OC'ed to 2.7GHz and the fan was never reach 700rpm to keep everything under 60 under prime.

already moving on to another old C2D E6420, now.
still using the same venomus and that thick fan combos to keep everything stable OC'ed to 3.4GHz with 1.5v v-core (bios).
need to crank the fan speed to 1200rpm, though.
but the temperature never exceeding 68 degree on Intel Burn Test.
for daily usage, it never even reach 56.

I love it :D

I don't normally run my panaflo's at full speed, 60-80% is fine most of the time. I have an original true 120 circa 2007 that I use those fans with. I also have a pair on my h100. You don't need a high static pressure with the d14, it doesn't help much. With that config on my true, I found it to out perform the d14, which is why I sold it.

I shaved 3c off of my temps on the D14 by going to a 38mmx140 fan in front and a high speed Delta 120x25mm in the middle. Is that significant? Well, on the cusp of it anyway. Probably would make more difference on a cooler like the TRUE with tightly packed fins.

bringin' back a good old memory let's take a look at these tests over here, shall we; link

head straight to page 88
yes, the NH-D14 only gain a slight advantage when paired with high rpm fan(s).
seems you've got a very similar restult, trents.
it's too bad, they don't put any result with the TRUE on that page, though.

Back