• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Supercharged Noctua NH D14

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I have one of those 140x38mm deltas. I used it briefly on a Phanteks top-down cooler (TCS? or something like that). It's relatively quiet and worked better than the stock Phanteks 140mm x 25mm fans. I was thinking of putting it on my Thermalright SB-E Archon, but it doesn't have the CFM or static pressure my 127 x38mm SanAce does.

I would think coolers that are thick, have very closely packed fins and whose stock fans are wimpy would benefit significantly from high static pressure fans or adding a pull fan.

I think also you may see more benefit with better fans as you move into higher wattage overclocking and the differential between the temp of the cooler surfaces and ambient becomes greater. In other words, it actually becomes more efficient.

Newton's law of cooling in a nutshell.

Would fan shrouds make any difference in cooling ability or sound attenuation in this
application?

Would fan shrouds make any difference in cooling ability or sound attenuation in this
application?

possibly

minimising the hub shadow always helps

and increasing the distance between fan blades & HS-fins also lowers noise by reducing the whop-whop-whop shockwave.

Noctua has a thing to say about something similar... http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=focused_flow_system

Moving over the stator guide vanes, the fan blades create pressure pulses. This type of rotor-stator interaction significantly contributes to the fan’s overall noise emission. With a uniform distribution of the stator vanes, the relative geometrical constellation of the rotor blades and the stator guide vanes is identical each time the rotor moves over the next stator vane. This means that each time a stator vane is passed by a rotor blade, the same pressure pulses are created. Acoustically, these periodic pulses lead to noises at distinct frequencies and manifest themselves as frequency spikes in the fan’s acoustic spectrum, giving it a more tonal and distinguishable character. To avoid this phenomenon, the NF-F12’s stator guide vanes are set out in Varying Angular Distance (between 31° and 37°). Due to this measure, the geometrical situation between the rotor and the stator parts is slightly different each time the rotor moves over the next stator vane, which results in aerodynamically different pressure pulses and hence spreads the noise emission over a broader frequency range. Producing a less tonal and more broadband acoustic profile, the VAD stator guide vanes make the fan more agreeable to the human ear and let it blend into the background noise more easily.

You would think if Noctua's fan design was so revolutionary HVAC fan manufacturers would be using it.

You would think if Noctua's fan design was so revolutionary HVAC fan manufacturers would be using it.

Typically HVAC uses blower style fans, not axial style.

Fans are also designed per application. Just because its good for a case/heatsink doesn't mean its good for ductwork or an A/C unit.

Back