• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swap a GeForce GTX 1060 Overclocked 6GB in with a AMD Ryzen 5 1600?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Justapersona

Thought I had a solid computer design (planned with a friend) but now can't get the planned video card.

Anyone see a problem with this video card:
  • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Overclocked 6GB GDDR5

For this system?

• AMD Ryzen 5 1600, ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F Gaming CPU/Motherboard Bundle with Wraith Spire Cooler
  • Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400 PC4-19200 CL15
  • Samsung 850 EVO 250GB + mount kit
  • WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
  • Corsair CS-M Series CS650M Modular PSU - 650W
  • Windows 10 Home

Thx

No problems at all with the system. Depends what you are wanting from it though.

I have that same system and it handles everything that I throw at it on high settings. I only game at 1080p though so if you want higher resolutions then the gtx 1060 will get found out on a few games.

So do you have a 1080 with this same system? (This Motherboard & CPU)

e.g. Something like a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Overclocked 8GB GDDR5X Video Card w/ WindForce Cooling?

Any of the Video cards will work fine. I look for a 3 year warranty and also like EVGA's support.

The thing to check the most with a 1080 vs a 1060 would be will it fit in the case you have .

my 1060 6gig card handles it all very well up to 1440p, just have to turn a thing or two down and will even do it very well with an fx processor.

Thanks for making me watch the video and not summarizing the points......................:-/

What I walked away with was this...

1. That was on Kaby Lake, this is AMD Ryzen
2. BF1 = 5 FPS difference from 2666 to 3000 - of over 150, so, a 3% difference. (Minimum FPS - for average FPS the difference was 4 FPS)
3. COD:IF = no difference at all due to cap
4. GOW4 = 8 FPS difference from 2666 to 3000, or around 5% difference. (Minimum FPS - for average it was 7 FPS)
5. At 5:55 in, he even says "increased memory bandwidth does little to nothing to aid performance"

And when they move to 4K......... no difference in BF1, COD:IF, or GOW4.

So, to summarize. That video is covering KL and not Ryzen (Ryzen struggles above 3000 on some boards). Second, there was ONE title that showed an 8 FPS difference and it was against an average of 150 FPS. One title showed Zero difference, the other showed 5 FPS difference against 150 FPS as well.

It really helps to put things in context. As we can see, a blanket statement like was made leaves a lot of questions on the table which needed answered to put it in PROPER context. Not to mention the OP seems to have a 1080, not a 1080Ti so I have no idea why that was even brought up. Seems it does more to confuse than to help the OP. Let's make sure comments are there to help the OP and not injecting random information, which quite frankly, needed more information to be accurate in the first place.

Last edited:
Back