• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech Helix 120/140 fan anyone?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

Hey guys anyone here using / seen / heard of these fans ??

Swiftech Helix 120 / 140

They seem nice, I heard they are kinda a replacement for Gentle Typhoon or least being a competitor.

But it's from Swiftech so i guess they should be great ?

Couldn't find a single review online neither much on YouTube....

So was wondering if anyone own it or have experience with these fans , what you think ? I plan to get them :D

http://www.swiftech.com/helix140mmfan.aspx

Yep, I replaced my side 230mm fan on my HAF 932 with four of these. Definitely good fans for a great price. Won't find too many better for about $12 bucks (from Swiftechs website). They move a whole bunch of air, not overly loud, high RPMs and high static pressure.

Sub $15 bucks, these and the Akasa Vipers are the way to go IMHO. I picked up a few Cougars (which go for under $15) and aren't even close to the quality of the Helix and the Viper.

Yep, I replaced my side 230mm fan on my HAF 932 with four of these. Definitely good fans for a great price. Won't find too many better for about $12 bucks (from Swiftechs website). They move a whole bunch of air, not overly loud, high RPMs and high static pressure.

Sub $15 bucks, these and the Akasa Vipers are the way to go IMHO. I picked up a few Cougars (which go for under $15) and aren't even close to the quality of the Helix and the Viper.

Wao only 15$ that's cheap ! Even if converted to my currency that's only 36$ here !

But no , they are selling 59$ here...not included postage. But I able to meet them and collect so Im able to save the postage fee....

Sadly we don't have Cougar or Akasa Vipers ( Actually I never heard of this brand before ) and many more great brands here. We have Gentle Typhoon but we only have them for 120mm....

Only able to find one or two reviews for this Helix fan , really like what Im seeing :thup: Did a few comparison , the Helix 140 is actually able to push 70+ CFM of air, while NZXT CF140RB , my old Xigmatek XLF 140mm are only doing round 60+ , that's rather high for the Helix. But Helix is able to go high as 1500 RPM ! Wonder will it be noisy...for NZXT and Xigmatek is only around 1000 - 1300 RPM.

But check this out , Bitfenix Spectre PRO 140mm , the manufacturer claim that theirs able to push out 86+ CFM and their max RPM is only 1200
I wonder is this for real lol...

http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/accessories/spectre-pro#specs

Is it noisy if you had your Helix on MAX , or what certain RPM is it starting to get noisy to you ?
May I ask what's controlling your Helix fans ? Are you using your Mobo or you have a fan controller ?

Last edited:
I have 4 of them hooked into a Swiftech 8 Way PWM Splitter which draws power from the PSU and PWM from the mobo. Works great. All devices get PWM without drawing power from the mobo. I have two of these splitters in my rig. One for my 4 Swiftech Helix side fans, and another for my 6 Akasa Viper radiator fans in a push pull.

I have 4 of them hooked into a Swiftech 8 Way PWM Splitter which draws power from the PSU and PWM from the mobo. Works great. All devices get PWM without drawing power from the mobo. I have two of these splitters in my rig. One for my 4 Swiftech Helix side fans, and another for my 6 Akasa Viper radiator fans in a push pull.

The specs on the Swiftech site don't say anything about these fans having PWM capability, so I'm a little confused.

I think those helix are the same as the Kukri fans. Also covered here. Also on Newegg. Titan used to have a website but I can't find it now.

As usual, though, Swiftech has great prices for its fans.

Mattman tells it all. Good link. The specs show that the DB at 7V, meaning medium RPM) the GT is better. at 12V, lots better.

These are good fans, no doubt, the Swiftech fans have good pressure and do well and are at a good price. You buy the PWM ones and learn how to PWM control them they are good enuff.

The AP-15 fans are still the king for normal WC loops. But they are 3 pin voltage controlled. That complicates things. You need to convert temp issues to 3 pin, and can't use the CPU header to control fan speed.

It really doesn't matter if you get a bit extra rad and keep the fans at a nice low speed. They don't need speed adjusting, they just handle the temp load all day no matter what you do.

The GT's are the best fan for a rad hands down. For a LOW/MED FPI rad. The 1850 AP-15's have the best pressure and noise characteristically (many reviewers say it's more pleasing and just doesn't 'intrude' as much) but are harder to change speeds due to non PWM.

My 1850 AP-15 fans are almost and I mean, gotta say many say silent but not really, my AP-15 with enuff rad is way quiet, never an issue.

The Helix are good fans, almost as good as the AP-15's which are hard to regulate auto. Which I find isn't an issue. Auto... Get more rad.......

Helix, sure, good fans.

I guess i know what fans i be getting :thup: :thup:

But one last thing , im not getting the PWM ones...but the normal ones...

I be using a fan controller to control it , my AeroCool Touch 1000 it's only maximum support of 6W per channel.

Somehow i couldn't find the Wattage rating for the fan....now if not mistaken Wattage is Amp X Voltage (In this case 12V)

So the Wattage for this fan is 5.4W , am I right ?
But it seems weird that the Voltage rating is up to 13.8V , I thought maximum it's only 12V ?

http://www.swiftech.com/Helix140mmfan.aspx

Most computer fans are designed to go to 12V because that's the standard, I guess this one will let you go higher.

Hey if you have them @ MAX RPM , is it noisy to you ? Yours are 120mm right ?
So that's 1800 RPM...i think for sure it will be noisy then ?

I don't run them at max rpm, but they obviously make some noise at max. however overall they are a quiet fan. they don't bother me at all.

13.8V yep. But your PC is only 12v.

Bottom line is , we won't have problem running it then ? Im using a fan controller instead Mobo actually , i think Mobo could give better Voltage compared to fan controllers for now i own 2 already...which either it's me or they are rather bit
" buggy " ain't so developed IMO even till now the fan controllers...

One is a NZXT MESH and another is a AeroCool Touch 1000

Your using the 3 pin voltage controlled fans? Not an issue. If the PSU can only put out 12 VDC how can it do more than that? Also, voltage controlled fan controllers have a natural voltage loss of up to .5 volts. So the fan will get less than 12 VDC at max RPM. No worries.

You should think about a quality 30 watt per channel fan controller. Hook up more than one fan to a knob. Something to read about and consider down the road.

Your using the 3 pin voltage controlled fans? Not an issue. If the PSU can only put out 12 VDC how can it do more than that? Also, voltage controlled fan controllers have a natural voltage loss of up to .5 volts. So the fan will get less than 12 VDC at max RPM. No worries.

You should think about a quality 30 watt per channel fan controller. Hook up more than one fan to a knob. Something to read about and consider down the road.

Yeah 3 Pin Voltage.

The NZXT are 30W per channel , i never split for ea either. The NZXT seems to works fine and it's at it's full potential....but i couldn't guarantee that because there's no RPM monitoring , so i couldn't really tell if the fan will be running at it's rated full speed. But from the noise i guess they are.....

Well i guess i take back what I said , the NZXT Mesh seems to get the job done pretty well. If you want a simple budget fan controller :thup:

Not the AeroCool Touch 1000 though , the LCD panel , sometimes gives false / late report of the current fan speed. Sometimes i have to set it a few times repeatedly before it actually take effects. But so far the fans are still able to work so i guess nothing much to fuss about , definitely changing to other if it dies on me one day.

Also just bought 2X NZXT CF 140 fans for my exhaust , really awesome looking fans and super quiet even @ 1100 RPM. Air flow feels pretty great too ( Physical comparison to my old Xigmatek XLF ) Loving it :thup:

http://www.techhypermart.com/pc-parts/nzxt-cf140-case-fans.html

Be getting pair of Helix 140 next for my side , as a comparison

static pressure on the nzxt are crap.

go with the swiftech fans, i have 3 of the 120s that i replaced some yate loons with, night and day; swiftech makes superior product, they actually care and think about customer needs instead of just rebranding someone elses product.

i plan on swaping out my bgear blasters 140s with the swiftech 140s next time i purchase some stuff.

static pressure on the nzxt are crap.

go with the swiftech fans, i have 3 of the 120s that i replaced some yate loons with, night and day; swiftech makes superior product, they actually care and think about customer needs instead of just rebranding someone elses product.

i plan on swaping out my bgear blasters 140s with the swiftech 140s next time i purchase some stuff.

Correct me if im wrong, but isn't fans with high static pressure are important for radiator / cooling towers ?
Im only using them for as my casing fan , isn't air flow more important in this case?

Yep. Great for a case. If you have bad meshing etc on the intake or exhaust, then consider it like a minor radiator. A junk good CFM/low static pressure fan once you put anything to block airflow and CFM drops like crazy it's also a bad case fan.

All based on the 'Internets'. There is science behind all this fan chatter but measuring it is hard to do in out situation. Buy the fans you like with research and be happy. .

Yep. Great for a case. If you have bad meshing etc on the intake or exhaust, then consider it like a minor radiator. A junk good CFM/low static pressure fan once you put anything to block airflow and CFM drops like crazy it's also a bad case fan.

All based on the 'Internets'. There is science behind all this fan chatter but measuring it is hard to do in out situation. Buy the fans you like with research and be happy. .

Im curious do you prefer Negative Air Pressure configuration or Positive ?

Back