• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Switched Vcard............ Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cowboy X

Hi guys I am running Ubuntu 7.04 on my secondary system :

ATI Radeon Xpress 200 ( MSi )
Opteron 170
1 gb Corsair
Aspire Micro ATX case and power supply
D-Link 520 dwl PCI wireless card
NEC DVD burner

Previously I was using the igp graphics but due to my main rig needing a reservoir replacement I decided to soup up this one with a X800 Xl which I had lying around. things worked well on the windows drive and I just installed the latest standalone catalyst ( vcard as opposed to the full igp driver).

But when I tried to boot from the linux drive I got an error into the boot which informed me that my gui won't work due to the driver.

How can I get the Ubuntu install to setup the new catalyst from the command line? Or how can I uninstall the other catalyst drivers and let ubuntu boot and then install the latest appropriate drivers from the web?

Ok, I think that I am sorted. I reconfigured the Xserver. This let me boot into the gui and then get my restricted and correct driver up and running. Next step= Beryl. Can I get Beryl running with ATI?

Yes Beryl can run with ATI..but you have to use XGL..and that means when ever you start your XGL session for ubuntu you can't run any other 3D apps, like a game and such. But ATI + XGL + Beryl works great.

I know pain in the butt till AMD/ATI support AIGLX.

Back