• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Switching from AMD to INTEL. Seeking motherboard!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Desync

Currently running the rig in my sig. Looking to switch over to Intel.

I mainly game and stream games. Gonna be picking up the 4770k since the next best CPU is like $500. I'm currently looking at the ASUS Sabertooth Z87 board. Any other recommendations around the same price?

The ASUS Sabertooth is likely way overkill for your needs. Look at the ASRock Z87 Extreme4... its $90 less and will suit your needs just fine.

In which way is it overkill? Because all I do is game and stream? The price of the sabertooth issn't really a big factor, just wanting something if I do decide to do something else then I will be good to go.

As I believe my current mobo + i just dropped the $200 this week on the 16gb of Trident X was a bit of overkill.

What features of the Sabertooth do you want/need? There's no CPU that the Sabertooth supports that the ASRock board doesn't...

I know you say money isn't a factor, but why waste it if you don't have to? I'm not saying to buy a cheap-o junk motherboard, but there's a point at which if you're not going for OC records with LN2 or something, you're just wasting your money.

That's true if I'm not going for OC records. So where is the point when that comes in to play? What should I be looking for? Besides saying, I bought this cause I could.

Also, i will be overclockin the CPU as much as my cooler will allow.

Desync, I have a Asrock Z77 motherboard with my 2500k on it and it is plenty motherboard. I've clocked my 2500k to 5.3 for benching and it runs 4.7 all day long on Air. As said above if you're not looking to bench on a board there is no need for a high end mobo. If you want it because you want it then by all means buy it but you really don't need the Sabertooth to run a 4770k well. I also have a Asus Z87 Maximus Hero with my 4770k on it and it also runs it well. The only reason why I bought the Hero is because they had it in stock at microcenter when the 4770k was on sale for $199 and it was a good combo deal. Otherwise I would have bought an Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 but it wasn't in stock. I am not a fan of the Intel Sabertooth because of that goofy armor they put on it and jack up the price because of it.

I recommend the ASUS Z87-A to people. It's had great reviews. I'ts a proven overclocker, has 8 power phases and all the features 98% of users need for $120-140 depending where you shop.

If you wanted a very robust motherboard with the kitchen sink included I'd say look at the Z87-Deluxe which includes Wifi and Bluetooth. This gen of Intel motherboards doesn't need to be as heavy duty on the power delivery side due to integrated VRM in the Haswell CPUs. This saves money on most SKUs. Motherboards like the Sabretooth and Maximus have much better caps and chokes, but who needs those? Maybe people with lots of liquid nitrogen on hand. Nobody else does. Especially not for this generation.

On the AMD side right now, it's advisable to get a Sabretooth or Crosshair mobo because they have very robust power delivery. That's why most people are pushed towards the pricey boards. If you're on the AMD side for the last few years, coming over to Intel, you expect to need a pricey board again but with Haswell that's just not the case.

If you step up to the 4930K, get the Rampage board. If you stick with a 4770K, get something in the $120-150 range and it'll do everything you need. Sure, you could spend an extra $200+, but why not spend that money on really good imported beer, or perhaps some Johnny Walker green label which you can enjoy while using your new computer? Or if you're not drinking age, lots and lots of pepsi.

Quick question on the MOBO's then. A lot of them say under memory: 1866 (OC) then they jump down and just say 1600 without the (OC). So does that mean the board supports 1600 but it also supports 1600 OCed to 1866?

Quick question on the MOBO's then. A lot of them say under memory: 1866 (OC) then they jump down and just say 1600 without the (OC). So does that mean the board supports 1600 but it also supports 1600 OCed to 1866?

Any board supports anything (within reason) that the chip's memory controller is capable of running. There are exceptions... some DIMMs don't work as well with some boards vs other boards but generally speaking, any RAM that is compatible with Z87 is compatible across the board.

Any 1600Mhz RAM that'll OC to 1866 is supported, yes, though that's not what they mean when they say what it'll support.

Whatever RAM you run, keep it to 1.5V or lower.

Believe I'm gonna go with the ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO, it will look nice sitting in my black/red camo painted case.

Believe I'm gonna go with the ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO, it will look nice sitting in my black/red camo painted case.

make-it-rain-guys.gif

It's your money. Z87-A will do everything the Hero will do for less $. :thup:

Just the hero will look best in my case. Yes, that bugs me about looks. cause my case is black and red camo, all the cables are sleeved black and red para cord, and every fan is red led.

Back