• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"System BIOS image is invalid or corrupt (252)"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Roller6902

Registered
This is really ridiculous.
I'm trying to install a new BIOS update for my Motherboard, but it just keeps giving me this error:

System BIOS image is invalid or corrupt (252).
Please download patch again.
If error continues, contact support.​

Now, I already know HP's support is garbage. I reverted back to vista, and I'm clearly positive the BIOS update is for my motherboard.

What the heck do I do?

Why are you trying to update the bios? Bios updates are only necessary if there is a compatibility problem that it will fix. As the good old saying goes, don't fix it if it ain't broke.

System BIOS image is invalid or corrupt (252).
Please download patch again.
If error continues, contact support.​

What the heck do I do?

Well since you did not bother us with the motherboard make/model or the HP make or model nor the bios file in question...it would appear you should contact HP as the message says. About it.

Why are you trying to update the bios? Bios updates are only necessary if there is a compatibility problem that it will fix. As the good old saying goes, don't fix it if it ain't broke.

cpu upgrading, since I cannot seem to find any AM2+ cpu's stupendously better than mine (AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+)

anyways, i tried in safe mode and the bios is apparently incompatible..... (253)

also, HP will not help at all. this comp is out of date. they'll just try and make me buy a new computer.
Their website is of no help either.
I know people with my mobo are on like version 5.13 or 5.14, but i just dont know how.
If you need to know, It's a Phoenix 5.11 BIOS, lastly updated in April of 2008.
It's also helpful to update the patch because you cant sleep without the pc not showing a screen, meaning you have to turn of the pc just to get back to what you were doing.

also, if you click when I said motherboard, it will show you my motherboard (which is a M2N68-LA (Narra3) to be specific)

terribly sorry if I sounded a bit rude or hostile when I wrote the OP. I was rather bitter when I couldn't upgrade without reason.

Do you know how to use awdflash823e? If you know, we might be able to help you.

Run the upgrading application. Ignore any errors. Type %TEMP% in Windows Explorer. Look for a file with .ROM extension. If you're lucky and HP software still uses what it used a time back, it'll be there. Grab it, copy it, get a DOS bootable drive (google it! :3), fire awdflash823e with the .ROM, et voila!

Your BIOS will be flashed!

Sample syntax*:
Code:
awdflash.exe file.rom backup.rom /py /sy /cc /cp /cd /sb /r

*I am telling this from memory. Check the syntax with /? or /h before you mess up something. If I remember correctly, the py flag forced yes for BIOS reflashing, the sy flag forced BIOS backup to backup.rom, the cc, cp, and cd flags nuked the CMOS after reflashing BIOS, r restarted the system after reflashing, and the sb flag was not too flash the boot block. Remind you, this is from memory. My memory, usually sucks. So, google or /? before flashing.

As always, the same yadda yadda disclaimer. I am not responsible for bricked motherboards, dead disks, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because you lost a lot of files that your company required. (I think this is from CM?). Please do some research if you have any concerns about what this thing does before doing it. YOU are the one doing the modifications, not me, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your computer, I will laugh at you, sir.

Do you know how to use awdflash823e? If you know, we might be able to help you.

Run the upgrading application. Ignore any errors. Type %TEMP% in Windows Explorer. Look for a file with .ROM extension. If you're lucky and HP software still uses what it used a time back, it'll be there. Grab it, copy it, get a DOS bootable drive (google it! :3), fire awdflash823e with the .ROM, et voila!

Your BIOS will be flashed!

Sample syntax*:
Code:
awdflash.exe file.rom backup.rom /py /sy /cc /cp /cd /sb /r

*I am telling this from memory. Check the syntax with /? or /h before you mess up something. If I remember correctly, the py flag forced yes for BIOS reflashing, the sy flag forced BIOS backup to backup.rom, the cc, cp, and cd flags nuked the CMOS after reflashing BIOS, r restarted the system after reflashing, and the sb flag was not too flash the boot block. Remind you, this is from memory. My memory, usually sucks. So, google or /? before flashing.

As always, the same yadda yadda disclaimer. I am not responsible for bricked motherboards, dead disks, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because you lost a lot of files that your company required. (I think this is from CM?). Please do some research if you have any concerns about what this thing does before doing it. YOU are the one doing the modifications, not me, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your computer, I will laugh at you, sir.

well, that is all fine and dandy, except its telling me the the BIOS is incompatible when i tried it in Safe Mode.

No, I dont know how to use AWDflash :D. so, I may as well start to learn it.

this is where im getting the BIOS from.

What I can note is that it isnt specific on what model NARRA they mean. Is it still good to update off of?
also, I understand I'm almost putting my comp in jeopardy.

BIOS flashers might not work in Safe Mode. Safe Mode prevents a bunch of drivers from loading, and other stuff, that's why it's called Safe Mode. No probably faulty drivers, no errors. But among those drivers, might be the one who takes care of BIOS flashing (WinFlash.sys and WinFlash64.sys, installed by the HP tool). If those don't load, they will drop an error, that the tool might identify as "not compatible".

The same CyanogenMod disclaimer as before.

That exe file has a 513.ROM inside. To rip it, "unzip" it like you would do with any other .rar or .7z, using your file archiver of preference. I like 7z. You only need the ROM file. Ignore the winflash files and the rtf file. Those, you don't need.

1) Create a bootable DOS USB drive, for example, using this guide (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/boot-dos-from-usb/).

2) Rename the BIOS file (513.ROM) to bios.bin, and copy that to the pendrive. Copy the awdflash I linked before too.

3) Create a notepad file called autoexec.bat in the root of the pendrive (e.g. X:/). It's autoexec.bat. Not autoexec.bat.txt or anything like that. The extension is BAT like Batman.

4) Copy this into the file and save the file. Remember, autoexec.bat like Batman.
Code:
@echo off
awdflash.exe bios.bin old.bin /py /sy /cc /cp /cd /sb /r

5) Restart your computer and boot from the USB. With a bit of luck you'll see a DOS shell and AwardFlash working. If not, try to call autoexec.bat from that shell.

6) If it works, gratz! If you get any errors, please copy all the info it gives and reply back.

We are not flashing the bootblock, so it won't be dead if you kill something. But, please, try not to.

BIOS flashers might not work in Safe Mode. Safe Mode prevents a bunch of drivers from loading, and other stuff, that's why it's called Safe Mode. No probably faulty drivers, no errors. But among those drivers, might be the one who takes care of BIOS flashing (WinFlash.sys and WinFlash64.sys, installed by the HP tool). If those don't load, they will drop an error, that the tool might identify as "not compatible".

The same CyanogenMod disclaimer as before.

That exe file has a 513.ROM inside. To rip it, "unzip" it like you would do with any other .rar or .7z, using your file archiver of preference. I like 7z. You only need the ROM file. Ignore the winflash files and the rtf file. Those, you don't need.

1) Create a bootable DOS USB drive, for example, using this guide (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/boot-dos-from-usb/).

2) Rename the BIOS file (513.ROM) to bios.bin, and copy that to the pendrive. Copy the awdflash I linked before too.

3) Create a notepad file called autoexec.bat in the root of the pendrive (e.g. X:/). It's autoexec.bat. Not autoexec.bat.txt or anything like that. The extension is BAT like Batman.

4) Copy this into the file and save the file. Remember, autoexec.bat like Batman.
Code:
@echo off
awdflash.exe bios.bin old.bin /py /sy /cc /cp /cd /sb /r

5) Restart your computer and boot from the USB. With a bit of luck you'll see a DOS shell and AwardFlash working. If not, try to call autoexec.bat from that shell.

6) If it works, gratz! If you get any errors, please copy all the info it gives and reply back.

We are not flashing the bootblock, so it won't be dead if you kill something. But, please, try not to.

Alright, thanks
eventually i will try that (like sometime next week), and see how it goes.
and again, I see the risk of my comp.

Back