• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System briefly flashes BIOS logo, then nothing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've only had one good product from MSI, amongst the handful I've bought. An FM2+ board. Then again, I didn't have it for very long before I traded out for an Ivy Bridge system.

LOL
That's mostly for their AMD boards.

Every manufacture out there has a few low end boards. Just have to be more choosy.
This. Plenty of solid choices from MSI out there. They got a bad rap, deservedly so, for their last gen AMD efforts. Otherwise, they make very solid boards.

Guys, don't trash my board like that. lol

This was my first build in over a decade, I just went by what was hot and cheap according to the egg and amazon. I didn't need it to handle any stress at all, because it never would be stressed.

As most signs are pointing to me being in the market for a new mobo, what do you guys recommend in that lower tier price range for the skylake LGA 1151?

Last edited:
Generally high quality boards. They'll last and aren't likely to fail like his current one. If you can get a better quality board, whether or not you need some features, for the price of a low end board then why not?

What makes a $70 Z board better than a comparably priced non Z? Since the cou cant overclock, vrm isnt important as its all within intel spec. It may be missing some features, like overclocking, or perhaps something hardware wise.

My point, i wouldnt worry about it, go with needed features. :)

Last edited:
The HDMI output only on that board is an issue because the system has a monitor and a tv coming off of it. I like the Gigabyte recommendation though, I'm still using one of their boards in my system that's over a decade old.

I can't seem to find anything in the z270 with multiple display ports in that price tier though, is there anything inherently wrong with opting for b250? As stated earlier, this system isn't going to see any sort of overclocking or anything stressful.

The only boards I can find by Gigabyte that sort of matchup are these, but they're micro-ATX, any objections to that format over ATX?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N22TQ3D/?tag=pcpapi-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2WG23X/?tag=pcpapi-20

or perhaps there's something by another vendor?

What makes a $70 Z board better than a comparably priced non Z?

I was going with the higher chipset on presumably a higher quality board. If a budget h110 board were the same build quality as the better Z270 boards we wouldn't have this thread, would we? :eek:

HDMI out being a problem, though, rules that out anyway. And the $70 Z board was a $100 Z board on sale.

Last edited:
Going to hold off on a board for now, we've discovered that cold booting the system and then letting it sit for around five minutes, and then resetting it boots the system just fine. It's almost as if a battery, or perhaps a capacitor is being drained while shutoff, and only upon starting when its drained does it present the problem.

I was going with the higher chipset on presumably a higher quality board. If a budget h110 board were the same build quality as the better Z270 boards we wouldn't have this thread, would we? :eek:

HDMI out being a problem, though, rules that out anyway. And the $70 Z board was a $100 Z board on sale.

H series doesnt overclock IIRC....

Going to hold off on a board for now, we've discovered that cold booting the system and then letting it sit for around five minutes, and then resetting it boots the system just fine. It's almost as if a battery, or perhaps a capacitor is being drained while shutoff, and only upon starting when its drained does it present the problem.

Then it IS the board.
It will only worsen with time.

I get a blank screen too cuz of a botched video card bios flash.. It happens random,, it can go 20 hours then booom. I will never flash a video card again. Big mistake it is.

Back