• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System lockups in certain games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brano

I've been having an issue in some games for a long time now and haven't been able to totally nail down the issue. I could just barely run a voice client with ghost recon wildlands when it first came out with my i5 7600k and 1060. I have upgraded from that to a 5700xt and I still get the same lockups and freezing in modern warfare as well as wildlands and farcry 5. This happens on any graphical setting as well, I have tried all I think I can try at this point. Is that i5 just much more limited than I think it should be?

Okay first things first we need your full system specs. Preferably placed into your signature similar to mine, so that it can be referenced from any post and we don't have to keep looking for the one where specs are posted. What operating system. What voice client?

Does it only happen with the voice client? If so then that is your problem, either due to a glitch, resource usage, or some other cause of instability.

Is the system overclocked at all?

Yes it is possible that 4 threads is not enough to run the game + the voice client, if it is a large resource hog. That said I think we should try to exclude other causes first. Some games will require at least 4 threads to themselves to perform best, but I am not sure whether the games you're playing are some of them. You could check CPU usage while gaming and see if all 4 threads are being utilized with an OSD (On Screen Display) like the one included in MSI afterburner.

I wasn't able to find your specific games benchmarked on your CPU, but I did find this https://www.techspot.com/review/1859-two-years-later-ryzen-1600-vs-core-i5-7600k/ which has Far Cry New Dawn (newer than Far Cry 5) performing better on the 7600k than a 6 core 12 thread AMD with a lower clock speed and lower IPC. In other words I doubt it's a lack of threads causing the problem in all of the games. There are games in the benchmark (like BFV) that clearly show a preference for more threads.

I echo what Zerileous asked: Is your system overclocked? If so, the problem could be that the overclock settings are insufficient to make the system stable under heavy load.

Related to that and just as important, have you checked maximum CPU core/package temps while you are gaming? Lockups and instability can be caused by overheating.

And as Z already asked, please give us more complete information about your system hardware: Motherboard make and model? CPU cooler make and model?, PSU make, model and wattage?, RAM amount and frequency?, Case and case fans?. Or, is this an OEM PC made by some mass producer?

Sorry, I should have known better to do that.

CPU: i5-7600k @3.80ghz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3
Cooling: Cooler Master MasterLiquid LC240E
Ram: G.Skill Aegis 16GB 2 x 8GB DDR4 2400
Gpu: XFX RX 5700 Xt Thicc III Ultra
Case: Cooler Master Haf 932
PSU: Corsair CX750M Bronze
Ssd: Sabrent 512GB Rocket NVMe

I've tried overclocking without any improvement, as well as trying a few different cards that I have on hand. As of now though everything is just sitting at factory clocks. My temps are all far within spec and I can test this again later tonight for actual numbers. Thanks again

That is listed, go ahead and throw it in your signature. ;)

It was asked if this happens at stock speeds and you replied you tried to overclock without improvements. So, are you saying, that you are CURRENTLY at stock and still having these issues? Just want to be clear. :)

That is listed, go ahead and throw it in your signature. ;)

It was asked if this happens at stock speeds and you replied you tried to overclock without improvements. So, are you saying, that you are CURRENTLY at stock and still having these issues? Just want to be clear. :)

Correct, everything is factory now

I have tried the blizzard client, discord, and even went back and tried ventrilo again with the same issues. It is just super noticeable in voice clients because I can hear my key click either not working or having horrible latency from when I actually click my ptt. There are times when I am unable to tab out for 10-15 seconds or more and everything will just lock up.

Last edited:
Is this a fresh, from scratch installation of Windows 10 or an upgrade from an earlier version of Windows?

Have you done a boot time scan for rootkits and other infections?

Have you run System File Checker from a healthy image to check for broken system files? Here's how to do it the right way: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

Have you downloaded and installed the latest motherboard and GPU drivers from the manufacturers' websites?

Have you checked for faulty RAM with memtest86 or a similar product?

Is this a fresh, from scratch installation of Windows 10 or an upgrade from an earlier version of Windows?

Have you done a boot time scan for rootkits and other infections?

Have you run System File Checker from a healthy image to check for broken system files? Here's how to do it the right way: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

Have you downloaded and installed the latest motherboard and GPU drivers from the manufacturers' websites?

Have you checked for faulty RAM with memtest86 or a similar product?

This was a fresh windows 10 install and I reinstalled again recently onto the M.2.

I have done multiple boot time scans with nothing of note as well as system file check without issue.

All up to date drivers as well as bios and I have run memtest64 for 4 hours without error.

As for cpu temps after 4 hours my max core temp was 69c

Update: I discovered one of my sticks of ram is running at 2133 and the other at 2400 somehow... and if I attempt to use slot 3 / 4 for my ram I just get a boot cycle.

Update: I discovered one of my sticks of ram is running at 2133 and the other at 2400 somehow... and if I attempt to use slot 3 / 4 for my ram I just get a boot cycle.

RAM sticks running at different speeds? That is very weird.

Check the motherboard manual to determine which slots you should use with two sticks of RAM. Using the correct slots when not all are being filled is very important to stability on a lot of motherboards. You may have to go to the Gigabyte website to get the manual. Anymore, the companies often don't include one in the box and sometimes not even on the CD.

Make sure you also try each stick of RAM individually in each slot and test it with memtest86. And do you have access to another PC using DDR4 that you could stick your RAM in to test it?

Note: According to your user's manual you can put the two sticks in either 1 and 2 o4 3 and 4 DIMM slots. I looked it up. Also, make sure you return the system to default settings with the appropriate hotkey. Then set the RAM frequency using XMP.

RAM sticks running at different speeds? That is very weird.

Check the motherboard manual to determine which slots you should use with two sticks of RAM. Using the correct slots when not all are being filled is very important to stability on a lot of motherboards. You may have to go to the Gigabyte website to get the manual. Anymore, the companies often don't include one in the box and sometimes not even on the CD.

Make sure you also try each stick of RAM individually in each slot and test it with memtest86. And do you have access to another PC using DDR4 that you could stick your RAM in to test it?

Note: According to your user's manual you can put the two sticks in either 1 and 2 o4 3 and 4 DIMM slots. I looked it up. Also, make sure you return the system to default settings with the appropriate hotkey. Then set the RAM frequency using XMP.

I have no access to other ddr4 so I might just order a new set at this point. The frequency issue looks like a one time thing though as they are both showing 2400 now. Also I tested each stick individually earlier without error, I used both slot 1 and 2 and didn't try 3 or 4

Back