• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

T-Bird voltmod question?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dj_unforgetable

Hi guys, if you take a look at my short profile on the left side of this post, you will see that I joined on Jun 2001; there is a reason for that and let me explain. Around then was when I was building my first computer with a T-Bird 1Ghz 266FSB cpu. I had an A7V-133 motherboard and when it was all said and done, I had a really good comp at the time. Seeing that I had an AXIA "Y" on my hands, I wanted to O/C the thing; I got it up to 1.4, but thats to my stupid FOP-32, I left it at stock speeds to avoid a temp crash (cause it would idle @ 60C). I went into BIOS that day and fiddled around with some settings when I came accross a BIOS optoin for voltage to the CPU, one i highered it a little, my motherboard and CPU died. RMA, get new ones and never try that again. If that is not the way to change voltage for higher speeds, then how do i do it on this motherboard?

I'm not sure what happened to ur motherboard and CPU, but I have 2 mobo's like that and had a Duron that was always overvolted, from 1.6 to 1.9 at winter (1.85v in BIOS) and 1.79 at summer (1.75v in BIOS) untill I crushed the core, never died on me from this. It could be ur CPU burnt out because of the high temps, 60C idle is very bad, at load it could propably hit 70C and overvolting at that heat could cause what you got. Always keep ur CPU temps under 60C at full load. and when u hit those high temps, don't overvolt it ever! ASUS A7V-133 tends to show higher temps than they actually are, but even w/ that mobo 60C idle is very high, I would recommend improving airflow inside ur case and getting a better HSF
If you are using the retail, the one which came with the CPU, it is NOT MEANT for overclocking, you will need a 3rd part cooler to do the job

*EDIT*: I checked ur sig and found ur cooler and temps. YOU WILL NEED a new cooler ASAP if u want to lower those temps, how is the airflow inside the case? try removing the side panel, if it lowers then u need to work on ur airflow. b4 I killed my duron and the puter was closed, I had two blow holes on the side, one was ducted to the CPU HSF. the other was directed partially to the top side of the video card and mobo and partially to the lower part, and I had another fan blowing out hot air from 2 of the 5.25" bays. all of the fans I used were 80mm, they kept the mobo temp about 5C lower than the temps were even with the case opened, it helped CPU temps a lot too
You should consider a duct and a better heatsink

Last edited:
I have the same heatsink as you but it's on a K6-2 550 and cools in pretty good but I would never try and put it on a duron or tbird over 1200 mhz maybe a little higher on a xp say around 1400 mhz. In it's day the fop32 was a great heatsink but thing have changed alot in the heatsink realm.

IMO overvolting the cpu wasn't your problem. It was trying to without the right cooling. The best value in heatsinks right now is the Thermal Right AX-7 and the best preforming one is the Thermal Right SLK-800.

This should have been mentioned earlier, but when i upped the voltage on the cpu it was at stock speeds and idles at 52C. I dont think it would overheat at all....

dj_unforgetable said:
This should have been mentioned earlier, but when i upped the voltage on the cpu it was at stock speeds and idles at 52C. I dont think it would overheat at all....

that seems pretty hot to me but your right it shouldn't have fried your cpu or board

Back