• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Taking the plunge... so to speak. (1st WC build)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Harblar

Registered
Hey all!

As of late I have seriously started to consider putting together my first watercooling system. While I'm not new to PC construction, watercooling is definitely a foreign term, but I've been doing some reading and a little research and think I'm close to putting together a good system. Before I start ordering parts I'd like a little advice/suggestions from some experts and before that I'll give you a little background on where I'm at currently.

A couple weeks ago I purchased new components to put together a new desktop system which are as follows:

i7 2600K
AsRock z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 Motherboard
4 x 4GB of Gskill Ripjaws X series DDR3 1866 Ram
MSI GTX560 Ti Hawk Video Card
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 120GB SSD
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700 watt Modular Power supply
Zalman CNPS9900ALED Heatsink and fan
Housed in my 4 year old Coolermaster Mystique Mid tower case.

As you can see, this is a near top of the line system... at least in respects to WEI, which, after OC'ing to 4.5ghz stable, racks upto 7.8. Only thing holding me back from a perfect 7.9 across the board is the cpu, believe it or not, and this is where my trouble started. I've only been able to stablize this processor to 4.7Ghz and that's at a vcore of 1.390 with peak load temps in the low/mid 90's... didn't run that test very long. The trouble is, even at 4.5Ghz vcore 1.305 temps were still in the low 80's. I figured something was wrong with the heatsink, but everything is seated fine, so in a last ditch effort to bring temps down and get a higher clock I took the door and front panel off the case and set a desk fan blowing at the Heatsink. Load temps dropped almost 7-10c across the board. Guess the airflow through my case sucks, which is not surprising cause it is kinda crowded in there right now. ;)

This left me with one obvious solution... New case, but which case. My goal is to hit 4.8-5.0 Ghz. I've got plenty of headroom as far as vcore, but any new case I buy isn't going to have any better airflow than my above solution... it's just going to look better and since a 7-10c drop still leaves 4.7 in the mid to high 80's, I won't have gained much. That leaves me with two options:
1.) Just be happy I got 4.5Ghz, button up my case, and just keep telling myself that I'll never notice the difference between 4.5 and 4.8 and 7.8 is still an awesome WEI score. (and yes, I know WEI doesn't really mean jack, but that single tenth of a point is still really irritating!) :facepalm:
2.) Build myself a custom case and add watercooling to the mix.

Since I'm posting here, I think we can all tell which way I'm leaning. :D

Ok, so as far as the case, I'm going to build my own around an existing frame (a wheel around Wiretech cart my current desktop is sitting in... plenty of space) using a combination of mesh panels, aluminum, plexi and canabalized parts from various other currently unused cases I have sitting around. Somewhat challenging, but I've got a plan and think it should work. Before I can finalize my plan and start sketching up schematics, I have to decide on a watercooling system, since it will be a major part of the system.

My main goal is to acheive a stable clock of 5.0Ghz with a full load temp of less than 80C on the hottest core.

Here are the main components I am currently considering:
Swiftech MCR420-XP eXtreme Performance Quad 120mm Slim Radiator
Swiftech MCP35X 12v PWM Controlled Water Pump
EK Supreme HF Universal CPU Liquid Cooling Block w/ Easy Mount Kit - Rev 2 - Full Copper - Electroless Nickel Plated
FrozenQ PC Mods 250mm Liquid Fusion V Series "2nd Generation" Reservoir UV Cathode - UV Blue Helix (or something similar to be displayed on the exterior front of the case)

Initially, I'm just planning on cooling the CPU. Next spring or summer I'm going to look at adding a couple of new Nvidia 600 series GPU's in SLI and Moving the 560ti down to a PhysyX only board at which time I'll add a seperate loop for cooling the three of them. That loop will probably use the same basic components I end up choosing for the CPU.

I haven't picked a Tubing/fitting size or brand yet. Assuming the above components will fit my needs (and please tell me if they won't or there are better/cheaper alternatives out there with equal or better performance) what would be the recommended size/types to maximize the cooling performance?

And what about chipset cooling? Just sitting here typing this post my MB temp is just barely above room temp... Under load I wasn't seeing it go much past the mid 30's. Is it really needed or is it only necessary when one is going to the absolute extreme with their CPU OC?

Anyway, I apologize for the length of the post, but I hope it helps paint an accurate picture of where I'm at and what I'm trying to achieve. Any thoughts, comments, and/or suggestions would be more than welcome at this stage. Thanks for reading! :D

Have you read the sticky? Have you seen skinneelabs.com? Do you understand DT? Just a few of the things you need to do before you even think about pressing buy. A major thing that I can tell you right now you are missing is fans, which means you are missing a vision. Are you looking for absurd performance? Crazy silence? Some combination thereof? Around here we have a saying: price, silence, performance. Pick 2. Basically what this means is that you can have your price and silence, but the performance will be determined for you, or your price and your performance, but the noise level will be determined for you...make sense?

Have you read the sticky? Have you seen skinneelabs.com? Do you understand DT? Just a few of the things you need to do before you even think about pressing buy. A major thing that I can tell you right now you are missing is fans, which means you are missing a vision. Are you looking for absurd performance? Crazy silence? Some combination thereof? Around here we have a saying: price, silence, performance. Pick 2. Basically what this means is that you can have your price and silence, but the performance will be determined for you, or your price and your performance, but the noise level will be determined for you...make sense?

1.) Yes
2.) Yes, excellent resource, but I'd be lying if I said I 100% understood every graph. Still, the reviews are very helpful and primarily the reason for the picks I made above.
3.) Yes. I did read the thread on DT and was able to grasp that fairly well. As a general rule of thumb, anything under 10 is good (from what I gather). With the components I picked and the OC I'm shooting for I would think I should be able to easily stay under 10 and wouldn't doubt if nudging under 5 was a possibility... though I'd be perfectly happy with any thing in the 6-7 range.

Only reason I didn't mention fans is because I'm not overly concerned about picking those out, though I can see where I should have at least mentioned the speed range I was considering. Whoops! I'm thinking in the range of 4 x 1000-1500RPM 120's for the radiator in a pull configuration (can always add additional 4 down the road if needed) and, since the radiator is going to be completely isolated from the rest of the hardware, 2 -3 200mm plus (since I haven't got an exact schematic drawn out yet, I'm not sure if I'll have room to go bigger or not, yet) fans to move some air through the main MB compartment. What I'm looking for is a good balance point between the three factors you mentioned, but I would rather error on the side of performance at the cost of silence and/or price. I learned long ago with speakers and amps it's always better to have more headroom lest you start clipping and having to replace tweeters! :bang head

And finally, I should have mentioned what the computer will be used for...

Primarily web surfing and word processing... j/k

I use it for a wide variety of tasks. Everything from HD Video Editing and CAD modeling animation to Encoding/decoding Video/audio to Online gaming MMOs to FPS and Various things in between. But mainly I'm a tweaker and like to customize my Systems as much as I can. In fact, I'll probably be spending most of the afternoon tweaking and refining my HTPC setup to work better with my home theater. :attn:

Hope that fills in the blanks a little.

Hey all!

I haven't picked a Tubing/fitting size or brand yet. Assuming the above components will fit my needs (and please tell me if they won't or there are better/cheaper alternatives out there with equal or better performance) what would be the recommended size/types to maximize the cooling performance?

3/8" ID, 5/8" OD is fine, most of us use 1/2" 3/4 tubing. Up to you. Barbs are just as good as compression for fittings. You'll probably need/want some rotary 45 and 90 degree fittings, Bitspower are great, good quality and many colors. Barbs and hoseclamps, not herbies, zipties etc. Hoseclamps stainless from a auto store or buy at the same place you buy barbs.

And what about chipset cooling? Just sitting here typing this post my MB temp is just barely above room temp... Under load I wasn't seeing it go much past the mid 30's. Is it really needed or is it only necessary when one is going to the absolute extreme with their CPU OC?

Most of us still have airflow on the mobo, and don't cool the mobo. Thats up to you, it's expensive for little gain. And don't WC the mem, in case your considering it.

Anyway, I apologize for the length of the post, but I hope it helps paint an accurate picture of where I'm at and what I'm trying to achieve. Any thoughts, comments, and/or suggestions would be more than welcome at this stage. Thanks for reading! :D

Your way up the foodchain on your first concept. Your not a 'click n buy guy', nice to see someone who realized they should learn first. Thats how we guide folks, learn first.

Your list looks fine, and you really don't need a 120x4 rad for just the CPU, a 120x3 would be plenty. I do like overkill too, and making the case tall enough for a 120x4 will help when you slap a second 120x4 in there for the GPU setup. So plan ahead, case big enuff for two 120x4 rads.

And this link has more goodies
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...96&postcount=3

Well, you're better prepared than I thought you were :clap:

here's some links on fans...it's a bit heavy, but once you understand it you can fly through it

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=223391
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=261778

Wow! That's a lot of data on Fans all right! :shock: But good info
Before I started researching Watercooling I'd never heard of Yates, but they seem to Pretty popular for WC's based on price and performance. Personally, I've typically bought Sycthe's in the past and Haven't been dissapointed. I've got a couple of Ultra Kaze's on my server and those suckers move air! They're freaking loud though... I ended up moving my server downstairs into a utility room because of it, but since everything is done on it remotely and my HDD temps rarely creep over 30 with Ultra's, I don't mind too much.

As far as my current project goes, I'm giving the Yates Mediums a look as well as the Scythe Slipstreams. the price is only a bit higher for slightly better performance. Still got plenty of time to mull it over, though, as I won't even consider buying fans till I'm well into the case construction phase... Which I started the preliminary work on last night. Loaded up google sketchup and managed to model a fairly detailed and precise mockup of the cart I'm going to use as the overall frame work. Here's a quick pic with dimensions:
Metallicase.jpg

Should be more than enough space to work with. While the shelfs can be adjusted up or down in 1/2" increments (approx) the lower area opening is exactly 5 inches which should fit the Rad I'm looking at perfectly in a side mount setup without having to change a thing! :thup:

Now I just got to start designing the rest of the pieces to fit in around it. :D

Just an FYI- you wouldn't get a WEI of 7.9 even if you got your CPU to 6GHz.

So your saying I should try break 6Ghz? :p
Man... that's like going to Vegas and not hitting the Jackpot on the Million dollar Slot machine. Yeah, you were so close, but that last cherry, while statistically possible, in reality is never going to drop.

3/8" ID, 5/8" OD is fine, most of us use 1/2" 3/4 tubing. Up to you. Barbs are just as good as compression for fittings. You'll probably need/want some rotary 45 and 90 degree fittings, Bitspower are great, good quality and many colors. Barbs and hoseclamps, not herbies, zipties etc. Hoseclamps stainless from a auto store or buy at the same place you buy barbs.

I figured it was better to go with slightly bigger hose if possible. My biggest problem right now is trying to decide on what color as I haven't quite decided on my overall color scheme yet.

I'm leaning towards compression fittings right now, if for nothing more than aesthetics. could probably save a little dough by using barbs for fittings that aren't going to be seen... like the pump, res, and rads.

Most of us still have airflow on the mobo, and don't cool the mobo. Thats up to you, it's expensive for little gain. And don't WC the mem, in case your considering it.

Kind of what I figure, but I thought I'd verify anyway while still early in the game... and ram cooling even seemed way excessive to me. ;)

Your way up the foodchain on your first concept. Your not a 'click n buy guy', nice to see someone who realized they should learn first. Thats how we guide folks, learn first.

Your list looks fine, and you really don't need a 120x4 rad for just the CPU, a 120x3 would be plenty. I do like overkill too, and making the case tall enough for a 120x4 will help when you slap a second 120x4 in there for the GPU setup. So plan ahead, case big enuff for two 120x4 rads.

And this link has more goodies
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...96&postcount=3

Wow, awesome links and a lot of great reading there. Just did a quick scan through some of it last night, but saw some nice examples and what not. If nothing else, now I got something to read over the weekend in between CAD breaks. :D

slipstreams are junk, go for yates or gentle typhoons...or go for something big. I'm running 3 shrounded afb1212vhe's (the rev2's not the rev3's) and I love em...undervolt nicely and powerful as anything

Back