• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Talking old.. but its new to me.. Gateway pent D 805 will it work??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mr.madison

Registered
I know this is a old chip in todays game. And I also know that in comparison this is a slow machine.. but its what i have and and just never knew this chip had this potential.

Basically.. the gate way doesnt come with that stock cpu fan and cooler.. its has a heatsink placed right on top
Gateway Foxconn Skt 775 P4 Passive Heatsink
8015645r.jpg

then its has a fan on the front of the case with a tubluar piping running down to the hatsink.. im taking it this is gateways own way of keeping things cool..

well my questions is can this be overclocked any based on this colling setup and this motherboard?
4001071r.JPG

heres the stats on the mb
Form Factor Micro BTX
Dimensions: 10.5 × 10.4 inches

CPU Support Package: LGA775

System Bus Support: 800/533 MHz

Memory Support Two DDR2 DIMM slots
1.8 V (only) DDR2 SDRAM Dual Inline Memory Modules (DIMMs) with gold-plated contacts
Unbuffered, single-sided or double-sided DIMMs
Note: Single sided ×16 modules are supported but double-sided ×16 modules are not.

Non-ECC DIMMs
Serial Presence Detect
DDR2 533 or DDR2 400 MHz SDRAM DIMMs
Maximum total system memory: 2 GB
Minimum total system memory: 128 MB

MCH (Northbridge) ATI RC410 Rev. A12
ICH (Southbridge) ATI SB450 Rev. A13
Firmware Hub 4 MB LPC Flash ROM
Integrated LAN Integrated 10/100 LAN Realtek RT8100C co-layout GiGi RTL8110S
Integrated Audio Interface: Azalia 8.1 channels
Model: Realtek ALC861

IEEE 1394a Controller VIA VT6307
Serial Input/Output (SIO) Winbond 83627 EHF
Add-in Card Slots One PCI Express ×16 (graphics interface)
One PCI Express ×1
Two PCI conventional

Rear panel I/O Ports Four USB 2.0 ports
Two PS/2 (keyboard/mouse) ports
One parallel port
One VGA monitor port
One RJ-45 LAN port
Six Analog audio jacks

Internal Headers Two 2-port USB 2.0 headers (2 × 5)
Front panel audio header (2 × 5, mic / headphone)
Front panel header (2 × 5)
IEEE 1394a front panel header
Chassis power LED header (1 × 3)
Floppy disk drive connector
Primary IDE connector
Secondary IDE connector
Four Serial ATA connectors
Two ATAPI headers
Clear CMOS jumper
Main Power Connector 24-pin (2 × 12)
Auxiliary 12V CPU power connector 4-pin (2 × 2)
CPU Fan connector
Rear fan connector

I know this is a funky MB as i wanted to move it to my liam case but it seems these were built for gateway cases only and are actually on the opossite side from a normal case.

I do have a very good 500watts powers supply i can add to this setup if the MB takes it. I was thinking of purchasing one of these
35-118-003-02.jpg
ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink

if my current setup cant keep it cool

I just dont know if based on the stats on this cpu if it is even worth the time..

and if not.. is it worth it to find a refubished MB and slap this chip in? Are there any MB that i can grow with and leave this setup behind when I have the money?

any help is great.. i just really need more power but working with limited sources.

its a gateway GT4024

It might, what are the current temps like?

If you go aftermarket, get something like a sunbeam CCF, or xigmatek dark knight (or s1283), both are in the $30-40 range and cool quite a bit better then any of the zalman orb/ball/etc coolers.

As far as it's value... Minimal from a performance standpoint, a core2duo at 2ghz to 2.2ghz is faster then a pentium D at 4ghz.

ok ill take a look at those it it comes to it..

not sure what current temps are.. what can i use to find that out?

also with this being a gateway.. can i use this chip in another motherboard as id really like to use my case i have it was like 180 at the time and super cool so i know if this doesnt work in that case with a proper fan it should stay at ideal temps..

You have a btx motherboard and an atx case. So if I understand you correctly you have a case and power supply but would need a new motherboard and a heatsink/fan? If this is correct it would be fairly cost effective to buy a new board and heatsink and throw it all together in the atx case you have. How about telling us exactly what you have to work with?

exactly.. thats what i have.. i have a atx case.. when i get home i will list the powersupply i have.. i have about 1.5gig of mem in the current cpu that could be used in a new mobo...

i found that the MB in the gateway is msi ms-7248r mainboard

List exactly what you have when you get a chance and I'll post back then

as the machince stands now its stock :

Processor Intel® Pentium® D 805 (Dual Core) 64-bit processor with EM64T Technology

* Each core operates at 2.66 GHz
* 533 MHz FSB
* 1 MB L2 cache

Chipset ATI Radeon Xpress 200 (RC410)
# Memory 1024 MB DDR2, 533 MHz (PC4200) memory (two 512 MB modules)
# Support:

* Two DDR2 DIMM slots
* Accept DDR2 533/667 MHz single channel modules
* Expandable up to 2 GB

Network Support Integrated 10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN
Video ATI Radeon Xpress 200 supports up to 128 MB of shared video memory
Audio Integrated 8-channel (7.1) High Definition Audio
# Add-in Card Slots One PCI Express ×16 (graphics interface)
# One PCI Express ×1
# Two PCI conventional
# External Connectors Rear:

* Four USB 2.0 ports
* One RJ-45 LAN port
* One IEEE 1394 port
* Two PS/2 (keyboard/mouse) ports
* One parallel port
* One serial port
* One VGA monitor port
* Five analog audio jacks plus one SPDIF jack

# Front:

* USB 2.0
* One IEEE 1394 ports
* Two audio 1/8-inch mini-jacks
o Headphone (green)
o Microphone (red)

# Drive Bays Two external 5.25-inch
# Two external 3.5-inch
# Two internal 3.5-inch (hard drive)
Power Supply 300 watt, 110 / 220 V
Physical Dimensions
(H × W × D) 15.6 × 7.1 × 17.8 inches
Weight (Unpackaged) 23 lbs. (varies with configuration)

-----
cpu-z reads memory as follows
solt2
1024mb
pc2-4300(266 ,hz)
kingston
solt1
512mb
pc2-4300(266mhz)
infineon

core voltage is at about 1.288v

-----------------------

what i have and am not using
allied 500w atx power supply with fan on it
model:al-b500e
and a few strips om 512 mem kinston i believe
and a aluminum liam li(sp?) case

Well... It'd make a great internet computer, and could stream video decently.
It's outperformed by a $200 (hell, $170) mobo/cpu combo though.

heres a few more stats

went into bios.. could not tweak anything
we have a current system temp of 91f
cpu temp 132f
sys fam at 2481 rpm
cpu fan 1110 rpm

its a pheonix award bios cmos setup utlity

anyway i can just push this a little?

i saw some place that the chip on the board can allow you to see if you can use an outside program to tweak the fsb idk?
its rmc chips
rtm865t-300
6123601l6041

i use this as my audio production machine right now.. its always worked for what i needed it to do... i dont do video or gaming..
i just wanna know if its even worth it to try a new heatsink and fan?

I have an 805 D thay run HOT esp at 4.0 lol , with that board I dout you can OC it much if any
using apps like SET FSB you need to know what PLL generator chip is on the board to use it , then you better have a good CPU cooler ...

If you are looking at 100.00 usd to get it to where you want it ,then IMO go to FRY's on a weekend or wensday sale and get a core duo bargin with an ECS mobo and you will be ahead that said ....805 D's are fun to OVERCLOCK but unless you have the equipment to do so just hang on to it till you do ;)

I have an 805 D thay run HOT esp at 4.0 lol , with that board I dout you can OC it much if any
using apps like SET FSB you need to know what PLL generator chip is on the board to use it , then you better have a good CPU cooler ...

If you are looking at 100.00 usd to get it to where you want it ,then IMO go to FRY's on a weekend or wensday sale and get a core duo bargin with an ECS mobo and you will be ahead that said ....805 D's are fun to OVERCLOCK but unless you have the equipment to do so just hang on to it till you do ;)

that pll # i think is this
its rmc chips
rtm865t-300
6123601l6041

yeah i guess for a 100 i could do that was just seeing if there was anything worth while here..

core duo huh? will those work with my mem i have?

are there any good mother boards that could serve the use for this and then be used to cross to a better chip set later.. ? ive always been fond of aeus

My opinion, shoot it.

Get a new one.

Regardless of what you do, the thing's got a 533Mhz FSB. No current 775 board likes anything below 800. Just to give you some idea, I'm running 1066Mhz ram and about 1900Mhz FSB and I have a dual core conroe @ 3.10Ghz and it's still pokey. Substantially. Sure I could upgrade my CPU and my RAM but I'd still top my ram out at 1200 (vs 1600-2000 on a new i7 system) and my CPU would never have the bandwidth of an i7.

You can always do better- but your chip can't compete with elephants, in that it is a titmouse. See what I mean?

It's a netburst chip, on a very large process, on a really bad motherboard.

You can buy a new, growable setup for so much less money. How about a cheap AM3 board and an entry level phenom 2?

Sure you'd have to buy everything else but there are options out there. There's whole computers for $200.

It's just not worth it to try to extend the life of any of those parts you have.

Shure thay work with DDR2..
plenty of good mobo out there even in the FS section here My fav would be a P35 chipset board that has a bios with OC ability's & will work at 533 FSB processor...But see thats the thing FRY's specials the mobo are pretty much free because the sale price is normally the price of the processor in the deal ;)

If your not in a hurry just watch the FS section here ( and on this forum you can trust every one here IMO one of the best ) and get a mobo with good bios 533 FSB capibility with DDR2 slots and your good to go .. I used a cheap ThermalTake 4 heatpipe multi fin I1 cpu cooler with 2 fans (110 cfm's) push/pull config and got up to 4.0 it was LOUD lol but fun....

Thing to remember is most brand name machines dell ,HP , ect have lockeddown bios or sometimes laser cut traces on the board to stop from overclocking them ( not all but most)

Trap that mobo is a 800 fsb board .....

Last week here Fry's had e 1400 cpu with an ecs 800 fsb mobo for 70 bucks ....

so with that motherboard i could use my chip huh? or does the fsb cause a prob.. i dig that setup

i think thats my best option..

is that mem solid thats such a great price but i dont know the brand

It might work in some 800fsb boards, my asus board doesn't technically support it, but it's on the list as a maybe, and i discovered that the board will happily run 104fsb during some underclocking experiments.
That doesn't mean it checks the BSEL pins to see if it's 533 fsb though, sadly.

I don't have anything to test it with either. Maybe i can find someone in the classifieds that will send me one for free to test with :p

Gigabyte says it'll work according to the cpu support list. Why say it won't work if you didn't even look?

Back