• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Talking old.. but its new to me.. Gateway pent D 805 will it work??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
so with that motherboard i could use my chip huh? or does the fsb cause a prob.. i dig that setup

i think thats my best option..

is that mem solid thats such a great price but i dont know the brand

Well, my point was to get the 5300 ($69.99) chip with an inexpensive board and PC6400 mem. Even at its stock speed you will have performance far beyond anything that 805 could do at 4ghz as so many have aptly pointed out. It, along with the E5200 ($67.99) are some of the current budget OC/performance champs behind the 45nm 6300. BTW,Gigabyte mobos and G.SKILL memory are well known brands.

Well, my point was to get the 5300 ($69.99) chip with an inexpensive board and PC6400 mem. Even at its stock speed you will have performance far beyond anything that 805 could do at 4ghz as so many have aptly pointed out. It, along with the E5200 ($67.99) are some of the current budget OC/performance champs behind the 45nm 6300. BTW,Gigabyte mobos and G.SKILL memory are well known brands.

understood.. but as i said im was just looking to maximize my budget right now as i have a # of other things that need to be done before i can even drop 200 on a cpu.. but that motherboard and the mem would be a great start for me and then i can just upgrade my chip around christmas with what ever the near top of the line would be at that time. in the mean while i can upgrade to at least 4 gig mem.. switch my video card.. new psu etc and then cap it off with a proper chip..

thanks for the input guys.. i think im go with one of the 2 motherboards mentioned that will take my chip and then cop the 2 gigs of mem and go from there..

Even an e3300, beats it, hell my e1200($30 shipped) OCed to 2.6 beats it.
Unfortunately the P4 architecture was a dubious idea that turned out to be a bad one. I suspect marketing overrode the engineers objections to the 10ghz plan.

Anyway, anything core2 based that can hit 2.5 will beat the P4D at 4ghz.

looking on ebay and found a few diffren chips use cheep.. is that advised?

also are these ok?

Intel Core 2 Duo SLA5E 1.86ghz 2M 1066mhz

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHZ socketL775

Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 Dual Core Clock Speed: 1.8 Ghz FSB: 800 Mhz Chache: 2 MB L2 Socket: LGA775

CPU Speed: 2.2 GHz
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Processor Qty: 1 CPU - 2 Cores

Compatible Processor Socket: LGA775 Socket

Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 1.8GHz "Allendale" SL9TB

understood.. but as i said im was just looking to maximize my budget right now as i have a # of other things that need to be done before i can even drop 200 on a cpu.. but that motherboard and the mem would be a great start for me and then i can just upgrade my chip around christmas with what ever the near top of the line would be at that time. in the mean while i can upgrade to at least 4 gig mem.. switch my video card.. new psu etc and then cap it off with a proper chip..

thanks for the input guys.. i think im go with one of the 2 motherboards mentioned that will take my chip and then cop the 2 gigs of mem and go from there..

I also noticed that you don't have avideo card and are relying on an integrated video chip on the mobo. One of these mobos would be save you about $40 and that might be enough to pick up a cele or ebay C2D chip <$130 total depending on what you spend on the cpu.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186145
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135232

You could also go for an X2 AM2+ chip/mobo combo ie.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186155
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103210
with the same G.SKILL mem for @$145 or find a cheeper AM2 (3800-5000 x2) chip on ebay for additional savings. Later you could upgrade to an Athlon II such as the 620x4 for under a $100.

My choice would be the first option but either would exceed your 805 wildest dreams by a decent margin.

i did forget to mention my card as this stupid gateway wont take my card.. its like a radeon 7200 or something.. pretty low end.. nothing major.. but its what i used... the dell didnt have a hook up for it..

i am willing to chek out amd.. i just have only owned one years ago..

my father in law ran one with great sucess about 2 yrs ago.. supped up sli's and all that.. but now he back to a high end quad he built last year...

yup i think thats it.. i dont even watch movies on my cpu.. i mainly web surff and do audio production.. but i do need a cheep dual monitor card.. any suggestions?

I hate to break to you but you couldn't drop in just any atx mobo.
I gave away my Gateway Pentium D-820 whom needed a computer last December.

I was going to overclock it but due to its REVERSE case design....and very hard find a mobo for it (costly too and if any available for overclock). It wasn't worth it to me for its power hog and runs hot since E7200 was popular then.

Last edited:
He has an Lian Li ATX case he's not trying to re-use the Gateway BTX case

yeah exactly.. only thing id take from that pc is the chip.. if it was even worth it.. lost a big on a core2 buy a dollar.. but .. yeah ima keep seeing what i can come up with.. thanks again guys

You know if the computer is still working you could sell it locally or on ebay for some extra cash. Someone is always looking for cheap working computer to do word processing and surf the net... if not just for the parts. I have no idea what it is worth but that could be a way to upgrade on the cheap especially if you were only considering taking the cpu from it. People are still happily running single core P2/3s and Socket As. They would consider a dual core 805 as a major upgrade!

If it were me, I'd use that old gateway system with an HVR-1800 or something similar and throw in a 1TB drive to make an HTPC.

Oh wait...I "did" (only mine was a Dell) and I love the thing, lol.

A P35 chipset mobo should work for you...Mine will support a Pentium D.
The Gigabyte "GA-P35C-DS3R" supports ddr2 and ddr3...no onboard video though.
If you can find one of these boards... they are a real treat (for me anyways).
This board has more tweeks than you can imagine.
G.Skill is one of the newest "enthusiast" memory brands and they perform very satisfactorily.
With a board like mine, you can use all the parts from your Dell and upgrade as your wallet permits. and it will take a quad core nicely, so you would see a huge increase in performance when you upgrade.
If you can use SetFsb or softfsb and keep everything as is, I would put a fan directly on the heatsink instead of relying on the "tunnel" to cool your cpu.
Also you should be able to get a good cheap heatpipe cooler for around $30.00 $40.00 U.S.
With my budget I had to get the least costly parts and I went with the "Arctic Cooling's Freezer 7 Pro"....should be good to around 3.5g
And I must say, that after using this computer... having to work on an Athlon64 (single core Venice)@ 2.4g is annoying because it is so slow compared to mine.

Edit: oops, I meant to say your Gateway..not Dell..my bad

Back