• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TBRED B 2100+ in KT7A-R updates....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would buy the new motherboard......then..... sell the KT7A and your duron on eBay and use that money to buy a 1700+ Tbred.

The low speed Tbreds are overclocking higher than the high speed ones ....so...you don't have to spend much on the CPU.

Abit NF7-S 2.0
AMD XP 1700+ T-Bred
512Mb DDR PC-3200,

what do you think?. I was thinking about Abit KD7-RAID, but thats KT400 and KT400 is litle old by now and NF2 ownz via ;)
iam saving my money now so i can bay the ithems. btw i know my english sucks :D

zodiac:

7keys recommendation is quite good. If you decide on a new motherboard then your choice is very good. Just remember to pick the DLT3C 0310 or DLT3C 0319 for your XP1700 (they are good overclockers). I think the NF7-S is dual channel. In that case, pick 2x256 MB DDR PC3200

Hi all...

This is my first post. Frankly, I feel like a noob here...you guys are sooooo technical... :)

I've been following this thread, and the one on the 2100XP on a KT7 with some interest. Anyway, a couple of days ago I decided to try it on my own.

Btw, I have a Abit KT7A-Raid Rev. 1.1. Been running a T'bird 1.33 o/c'ed to 1.51 for the past 2 years or so perfectly stable. Had my ram at 148, cas 2 at one stage (with an earlier T'bird 1 Ghz), then discovered that cheap though ram may be, it gets expensive when you have to change blocks every few months. But during that time, it ran blistering fast... :)

Anyway, I flashed my bios with OC Master's hacked bios...nice hack, I must say...and everything worked perfectly. Updated the Highpoint driver as recommended, no issues.

Machine ran perfectly, was able to be stable at 1.825 V/3.5 V with my T'bird (previously I could only achieve stability at 1.85 Volts/3.5 V), and the chip ran a couple of degrees cooler. Now, you have to know that I live in the tropics, so my ambient room temps are around 28 C to 32 C. My T'bird always ran at 48 C to 53 C stable with a rare occurrence of 56 C - 59 C during a heat wave. Case temps have always been around 35 C even with 7 fans in a fair configuration with slight negative pressure.

Unfortunately, XP2100's and XP 2400's are all sold out in my part of the world. So the best I could do was an XP 2200 with an AIUHB stepping. Not too bad...stock should be around 1.8 Ghz..., or so I thought...

Followed the methodology as per both the threads, and the chart at the top of this one and got some slightly different results.

I couldn't get the chip to post at anything below 800 (1600). 700 and 750 basically just the sound of my fans ventilating my desk...

All other standard settings worked, but the system refused to boot into Windows at 1000 (2300). It'd get as far as loading the drivers, then rebooted...

I've tested a variety of configurations, including very aggressive settings, very lame settings, memory interleave on/off, mobo driving force at different settings, etc. Still no go.

Manual settings are rather limited...at 17x133, the system hangs on windows. Tested this setting several times with a variety of settings again, still with no luck.

My voltage is maxed at 1.85V...I think it's a power issue. I'm running some third party 450 watt power supply, and with the number of fans and drives it supplies, it may be that I'm just running out of amps.

After about 12 hours straight, I got tired of swopping in my T'bird, and set the system on the stable 1.9 Ghz. Not too shabby, but I'm still a bit dissapointed. In the process, I managed to corrupt my windows drive once...required reinstall...reinstall repair didn't work....

Anyone have any suggestions to make that does not involve the dreary cycle of swapping chips to set the bios? In my country, bios savers are not available... :(

Ok...the system is rock stable at 1.9 Ghz leading me to believe that it is indeed a psu problem. So, I now need some opinions on how to resolve this...the cheap way since I'm a little strapped for cash right now.

I run a full tower Chieftec case with 6 xj80 mm fans, 1 x 92mm and 1 x 120 mm plus 1 x 80 mm on the cpu cooler. I also run 4 hd, 2 cd writers, and teh usual assortment of drives. Everything running on one no-brand 450 watt psu.

If I were to mod in a second psu, say a 300 watt that I can probably get quite cheap, and do the twin psu mod...put all my fans on it, do you think that it would get more amps to my processor allowing me to run stably at higher speeds?

Any opinions would be very much appreciated... :)

Defcon1:

Welcome to the forum. I do not think you have a problem with the power supply. My power supply is a generic 350w and I do not have any problem to run my CPU at 17x133 = 2260 Mhz. From what I learned, the KT7A has problem with running the 133 FSB. The multipliers that seemed to work with this motherboard for 133 FSB is 9x (17x) or 9.5x (remaped to 18x). Some people also indicate that increase the FSB by even 1 Mhz resulted in no boot. When I tried with my XP 2400, I tried all the multiplier from 8x and up (with 100 FSB) because most of the lower multiplier mapped to mobile CPU and if you set it you have to swap in your old Tbird for reboot (as you have experienced). When I know that my XP 2400 is capble of 23*100 = 2300 Mhz, I go for 9x (17x) at 133 FSB right away. After that I do not dare to try for 8x (15x) or 9.5x (18x) for 133 FSB. In your case, the XP 2200 seem to max out at 19*100 = 1900 Mhz. You will have no chance of running 133 Mhz FSB if you are not getting a better CPU that is capble of running at least 2300 Mhz. The reason I decided on the XP 2400 for the KT7A is to run 9x (17x) at 133 FSB. I was worried that any lower speed CPU (except for those amazing 1700 or 1800 DLT3C that are capable of 2.3 - 2.5 Ghz) will not capable of running at least 2300 Mhz. I did not need to put in my Tbird even once because of problem with multiplier and FSB. If you can not buy the XP2400 then try to see if you can get the XP 1700 or 1800 (DLT3C version), or the Barton XP2500 and then perform a wire mod on these CPUs to change default multiplier.

Thanks for the welcome!... :)

Regretfully, I think you are right. I have tried your settings and I still can't fully boot into Windows.

As for adjusting the cpu fsb, that doesn't work either.

So I'm stuck at 100 fsb for the time being...that is...until I acquire a better mobo or a better chip... :(

Maybe it's time for a mobo upgrade...but then, if I'm going to be spending that kind of money...mobo, ram etc, I'll be shooting for closer to 3 gigs then... :)

Oh...compared to the old T-bird...the system appears to be much faster.

My 3D-mark 2000 score is around 9800 (Radeon 8500 oc'ed) and my 3D-mark 2001 is around 8600...not bad...so gaming performance will pick up... :)

Oh...one more question...

If my mobo were capable of running 133 mhz fsb...in your opinion, would this chip reach 2.3 mhz?

Defcon1:

If 10x (remapped to 23x) at 100 FSB can not bootup or get you into window then your CPU is not capable of 2300 Mhz. Have you tried 7.5x (remapped to 22X for 2200Mhz)? or 12.5X (remapped to 20x for 2000Mhz)? The XP2200, from what I know, is not very good for overclcoking. Your best bet is an AIUHB XP2100.

ok...answers my question then...

...the cpu will not boot on any setting below 8.0x...I have not tried 12.5x (20x), but I might, when I finally strip it again to clean out the insides...

I don't think that it will boot up at 20x, cos at default 5x, the bios reads it as an unknown cpu 2000 mhz and is unusable.

Better bet would be to acquire an old 266 fsb mobo that will support this chip and slowly tease the speed up the usual way...

...that way, I also will not need to keep swopping processors... ;)

SUCCESS!!!.... :)

...but at 2.0 Ghz on an XP2200...

...tried the 12.5 multiplier, and it works....

...now testing stability...

...all I wanted was to break the 2.0 Ghz mark, so I'm happy... :)

I have tried CPU of a friend of mine (which was palomino 2100+) on tha KT7A-R Rev. 1.0 board. It was not opened at 9x100. It was successfully opened at 9x133 as 1733(WCPUID shows 13,5x133). Everything was OK. But after half an hour bluescreen came in and system reset . I gave the cpu back. Now I will try TBred If I can find one here in Istanbul. On the otherhand I still wonder, how will I succed this? Becuse there is reset problem in this motherboard. I think it might require a soldering operation. But I dont know the technical soldering way it requires.

Last edited:
In addition to Palomino 2100+, I have also tried Tbred 2200+ on the KT7A-R v. 1.0. But no post at all. I have made the BIOS adjustment to 9,5x133 before I take the old cpu out of it then shut down the computer. I changed the old cpu with the Tbred 2200+. When I turned it on no screen at all after a reasonable time of waiting. Any idea?

Isko...what were your core and vio voltage settings?

I noticed that my T'bred required a higher core voltage to post...

In fact, anything below the KT7A-R maximum of 1.85 volts, and it either refused to post or was very unstable....

Defcon1... Now I noticed after i read your answer that i left core volt at 1,75 and io volt at 3,4. These are the standart values of Athlon 1200 (Current cpu). Even I haven't tried 2200+ with its nominal voltage 1,65. Can I get a screen if try 2200+ T'bred with 1,65, 1,80 or something else? If you have got a success on KT7A-R v. 1.0 with 2200+, may i have your BIOS softmenu values?

My core is at 1.85V and vio at 3.5. It's a peculiarity of my board that it is only stable at these values...even with the old T'bird... :)

Back