• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TbredXP 1700 & Abit NF7 rev2.0 boards = Not Very Friendly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OC-man, don't take this personal, but...
just my opinion that there's no trying to compare your systems which has a superchilled watercooler setup to what others may have here (regular aircooled HS). this is of course why you can get stable readings on prime95 on your 220FSB...
However, I've done some testing (last 12hours) and I'm post some results here.
I've manage to upload bios 10 on my nf7-s v2.0...
Many thanks to H-man whom I've read all his postings, and tip my hat off to his DOS turnacate for the awdflash... my mobo came with bios 12 on it (i believe). b4 i 4get, thank you OC-man for the tips on bios 10 to begin with. I got stuck with bios 13 and haven't recoup'd from that crap-oh-la bios.
here we go.
I have many pics to post, but it seems I'm not allowed to do so in here. I also did the wire trick (166FSB mod thingy) and whether or not it works, is subject to interpretation by many oc'ers here.
I can not get the CPU enable option to make my rig stable. everything that I've managed to test out is with cpu disabled option (might be the wire trick?)

scores on next post...

[OC]This said:
This is what I call, stability.

Prime95@ 2760mhz, stable. run Prime95. That puts the maximum stress on your system.

this is just one of those ordinary xp1700 dlt3c xpmw chips that do 2.4 norm air@ 1.825v/ 2.5 high air@ 1.95v vcore. it is not a God given lucky chip. you supercool it, you get what you want.

Do you think w2k is more stable overclocking than XPpro?

I noticed your w2k sp2 on the wcpuid png.

If yours is run of the mill, then I got a lemon in comparison.

SiSoftware Sandra 08/10/2003
Bios 10
Corsair XMS LL 256x2 2-2-3-8 (dual channel mode)

Int Buff aEMMX/aSSE (Integer STREAM) Results Breakdown
Assignment : 3525MB/s
Scaling : 3523MB/s
Addition : 3501MB/s
Triad : 3505MB/s
Data Item Size : 8-bytes
Buffering Used : Yes
Offset Displacement Used : Yes
Bandwidth Efficiency : 95% (estimated)

Float Buff aEMMX/aSSE (Float STREAM) Results Breakdown
Assignment : 3525MB/s
Scaling : 3330MB/s
Addition : 3187MB/s
Triad : 3142MB/s
Bandwidth Efficiency : 90% (estimated)

Test Status
Memory Used by Test : 344MB
NUMA Support : No
SMP Test : No
Total Test Threads : 1
SMT Test : No
Dynamic MP/MT Load Balance : No
Processor Affinity : No

Chipset 1
Model : Abit Computer Corp nForce2 AGP Controller
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 230MHz (460MHz data rate)
Width : 64-bit
Maximum Bus Bandwidth : 3680MB/s (estimated)

Logical/Chipset 1 Memory Banks

Features
MMX Technology : Yes
SSE Technology : Yes

EMMX - Extended MMX Technology : Yes

After second bios 10 reprogramming:
SiSoftware Sandra

Int Buff aEMMX/aSSE (Integer STREAM) Results Breakdown
Assignment : 3538MB/s
Scaling : 3533MB/s
Addition : 3520MB/s
Triad : 3519MB/s
Bandwidth Efficiency : 96% (estimated)

Float Buff aEMMX/aSSE (Float STREAM) Results Breakdown
Assignment : 3538MB/s
Scaling : 3366MB/s
Addition : 3223MB/s
Triad : 3185MB/s
Bandwidth Efficiency : 90% (estimated)

Test Status
Memory Used by Test : 342MB
NUMA Support : No
SMP Test : No
Total Test Threads : 1
SMT Test : No
Dynamic MP/MT Load Balance : No
Processor Affinity : No

Chipset 1
Model : Abit Computer Corp nForce2 AGP Controller
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 230MHz (460MHz data rate)
Width : 64-bit
Maximum Bus Bandwidth : 3680MB/s (estimated)

Logical/Chipset 1 Memory Banks

Number of CPUs1

Cpu NameAMD Athlon XP (Thoroughbred)
SpecificationAMD Athlon(tm)
Family / Model / Stepping6 8 1
Extended Family / Model7 8
PackageSocket A
Core SteppingB0
Technology0.13µ
Supported Instructions SetsMMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended
3DNow!, SSE
CPU Clock Speed 2535.7 MHz
Clock multiplierx 11.0
Front Side Bus Frequency 230.5 MHz
Bus Speed 461.0 MHz
L1 Data Cache64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L1 Instruction Cache64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line
size
L2 Cache256 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed2535.7 MHz (Full)
L2 LocationOn Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logicyes
L2 Bus Width64 bits

Motherboard manufacturerhttp://www.abit.com.tw/
Motherboard modelNF7-S/NF7 (nVidia-nForce2), 2.X

RAM Type DDR-SDRAM
RAM Size 512 MBytes
CAS# Latency 2.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge 3 clocks
Cycle Time (TRAS) 8 clocks

AGP Statusenabled, rev. 2.0
AGP Data Transfert Rate4x
AGP Side Band Addressingsupported, enabled
AGP Aperture Size 128 MBytes

Audioaficionado said:

Do you think w2k is more stable overclocking than XPpro?

I noticed your w2k sp2 on the wcpuid png.

If yours is run of the mill, then I got a lemon in comparison.
WinXP pro should be more stable than the Win2k pro.

what about the png? what's png got to do with it.

Since you haven't tried it, you need to set the APIC disabled in the bios and format, install windows. It should help you a little bit, I don't know by how much.

I don't know about your last sentence. I just told you what kind of chip i have and what I cool with it to get X amount of overclock.

PCMARK2002 scores for bios 10
CPU Score: 7744
Memory Score: 6097

PCMARK2002 scores for bios 12
CPU Score: 7591
Memory Score: 6026

PCMARK2002 scores for bios 18
CPU Score: 7595
Memory Score: 5999

Sisoft Scores for Bios 12
BW Int Buff: 3437MB/s
BW Int Float Buff: 3223MB/s

Sisoft Scores for Bios 18 N/A
program would freeze up.... same settings

1:42 am here in Tx...
got to get some sleep... If you know anywhere on the net so i can put up some pics, please let me know. many thanks, again, to all of you here.

btw... with bios 10... temps readings are questionable (mho)
vcore 1.90 vdimm 2.90, chipset v1.70
54c idle
62c load

again, I don't know for sure if these are true temps to believe in.
(i've gotten used to the bios 13 and up temp readings.

RedDawg41 said:
OC-man, don't take this personal, but...
just my opinion that there's no trying to compare your systems which has a superchilled watercooler setup to what others may have here (regular aircooled HS). this is of course why you can get stable readings on prime95 on your 220FSB...
However, I've done some testing (last 12hours) and I'm post some results here.
Many thanks to H-man whom I've read all his postings, and tip my hat off to his DOS turnacate for the awdflash... my mobo came with bios 12 on it (i believe). b4 i 4get, thank you OC-man for the tips on bios 10 to begin with. I got stuck with bios 13 and haven't recoup'd from that crap-oh-la bios.
here we go.
I have many pics to post, but it seems I'm not allowed to do so in here. I also did the wire trick (166FSB mod thingy) and whether or not it works, is subject to interpretation by many oc'ers here.
I can not get the CPU enable option to make my rig stable. everything that I've managed to test out is with cpu disabled option (might be the wire trick?)

scores on next post...
Listen buddy, I don't know why you are taking this so negatively, but I am not f#ckin' trying to show off. If I wanted to show off, I did it at first hand and tell others I am better than all you people. but did I do that?

Take a damn good look at what the previous posts in this page. What did Gautam say to me there? He asked me to run my system in SCDDR. He also claimed that SCDDR and DCDDR should not make difference in FSB overclocking, which isn't quite correct. So, I did what he asked for. I ran the system at SCDDR and got higher FSB overclock. In that reply of mine, I reported what I have experienced. Read -->
Originally posted by [OC]This

I found out that the highest I could run with the 3Dmark stable with DC was 227~ 228mhz FSB. 230mhz FSB was not stable in 3Dmark, quit out, regardless of memory timings. 230fsb was only good for light desktop apps.

With the SC, 236mhz FSB runs 3dmark fine, at memory timing as fast as 5-2-2-2.5. I haven't even tried 238mhz FSB but it looks as if it can do it from what I can tell.
and then Audioaficionado responded to my message.. and quoted just THIS in my reply. Read -->
230mhz FSB was not stable in 3Dmark, quit out, regardless of memory timings. 230fsb was only good for light desktop apps.

Originally posted by Audioaficionado

I suppose running FAH 24/7 will reduce my stable OC quite a bit
That got me starting to wonder what he really meant. Anyways, I didn't give a rip, I just responded what I do know as a correct answer, which is pretty damn obvious true. I said this --->
If your system is stable OC, it should be able to run FAH at 24/7. That's the stable OC.
If the systsem is "stable", it is freakin' "stable", period.

And then he edited his message and also included this at the bottom. Read -->
... I don't have an exceptional CPU like some of you but just an average one. Still not too bad for an inexpensive processor.

I then get the impression that he is saying my CPU is a lucky chosen CPU. All I did then was trying to show Prime95 test to analyze system stability would be the way to go. I posted my screenshot of 2760mhz Prime stable. I did that so that he gets the idea that supercooling, or improved cooling is necessary in order to achieve higher clockspeed and maintain stability for his CPU. I've shown him two things here: Improved cooling, and showing that my CPU is not a God given lucky chip. Don't you freakin get it? Read more carefully before you jumping into conclusion. Starting to **** me off.

Last edited:
so don't get so damn picky about it. Just because someone managed higher overclock and posted his screenshot doesn't mean people get to slam me down. I told you I was not trying to show off. I posted the damn screenshot because of these reasons I have posted in my previous message. I posted that screen for those reasons, to get him to understand. mmkay? God damn.. sh#t.

RedDawg41 said:
btw... with bios 10... temps readings are questionable (mho)
vcore 1.90 vdimm 2.90, chipset v1.70
54c idle
62c load

again, I don't know for sure if these are true temps to believe in.
(i've gotten used to the bios 13 and up temp readings.
of course the temp reading is questionable because it is way off. It is actually reading about 10C higher than closer to the real temp. There are many BIOS versions that read either 10C higher or 10C lower but not in between. The BIOS14 however, does report more realistic temperature, which is in between them variations.

Your Vddr overvolting is normal. All NF7 boards are that way.

Your realistic temp should be around 44C. :mad:

Last edited:
[OC]This said:

WinXP pro should be more stable than the Win2k pro.

what about the png? what's png got to do with it.

Since you haven't tried it, you need to set the APIC disabled in the bios and format, install windows. It should help you a little bit, I don't know by how much.

I don't know about your last sentence. I just told you what kind of chip i have and what I cool with it to get X amount of overclock.

png is the posted picture format of you screenshot, thats all.

I'll just reformat my other 80Gb HD and do my 98se/w2k/XPpro/w2k3/nix OS installs with APIC disabled.

My CPU isn't as good as yours. If I try to raise vcore past 1.8v the famous Abit NF7-S siren will go off even if the CPU is well under the warning temp of 75c. This is another issue with this CPU/mobo combo that has been posted about to death. The only fix was to get a better individual CPU.

I may invest in another CPU to see if I can do better. The 0319 is supposed to be a very good over all overclocker. Anyway I need a backup incase a CPU fails in either of my computers. I can't afford to lose any folding power even for a few days.

Audioaficionado said:

png is the posted picture format of you screenshot, thats all.

png is Portable Network Graphics, which is one of the enhanced types of image file. Puts out much better clarity and detail than the JPEG.

I'll just reformat my other 80Gb HD and do my 98se/w2k/XPpro/w2k3/nix OS installs with APIC disabled.
ok.

My CPU isn't as good as yours. If I try to raise vcore past 1.8v the famous Abit NF7-S siren will go off even if the CPU is well under the warning temp of 75c. This is another issue with this CPU/mobo combo that has been posted about to death. The only fix was to get a better individual CPU.
what stepping is your CPU? I didnt' get the chance to see your full spec on your CPU. and of course even the good stepping can be a dud one. We know that. What air cooling do you have? Heatsink and fan, what type?

I may invest in another CPU to see if I can do better. The 0319 is supposed to be a very good over all overclocker. Anyway I need a backup incase a CPU fails in either of my computers. I can't afford to lose any folding power even for a few days.
allrightie.

[OC]This said:
what stepping is your CPU? I didnt' get the chance to see your full spec on your CPU. and of course even the good stepping can be a dud one. We know that. What air cooling do you have? Heatsink and fan, what type?

Full details are in my profile system listing.

XP1700+ Tbred B DLT3C XPMW 0310

Vantec Areoflow. I'm soon going to replace the 70mm TMD fan with an 80mm varible speed Y-S Tech fan (10.2-48.5 CFM) on a 70x80mm adaptor. It also has a higher pressure to force more air over the somewhat restrictive Areoflow's fins. I'm also going to completely revamp my case air flow which presently sux. I have the side off now and it dropped the temps 5c. If I still don't get a significant improvement, I'll get a SLK7 or SLK900U heatsink.

Audioaficionado said:

XP1700+ Tbred B DLT3C XPMW 0310

Vantec Areoflow. I'm soon going to replace the 70mm TMD fan with an 80mm varible speed Y-S Tech fan (10.2-48.5 CFM) on a 70x80mm adaptor. It also has a higher pressure to force more air over the somewhat restrictive Areoflow's fins. I'm also going to completely revamp my case air flow which presently sux. I have the side off now and it dropped the temps 5c. If I still don't get a significant improvement, I'll get a SLK7 or SLK900U heatsink.
that is exactly the same stepping/week as mine.

yeah, get a powerful high rated CFM/RPM fan. I used to use Delta38 60mm for 2.43'ish ghz oc and Tornado 84CFM 80mm for 2.5ghz. I used SLK-800. I assuming you're suing ASII/III thermal grease.

yeah SLK900u would be awesome. Part of the problem with many of the system case temperature problem is that their PSU generate a lot of heat. Have plenty power of a fan sucking hot air out from the back. More it sucks out hot air, the cooler your internal case will be, and with the case closed tight.

Last edited:
I'm also putting a heat sink on my SB using AS Alumina adheasive and copper fins on my MOSFETs. My PS also could be a limit. It's a cheap Power-Win 450w. The stock NB fan/hs is more than adequate.

Your assumption was correct, I'm using ASII.

RedDawg41 said:

here we go.

scores on next post...

Interesting results.

I thought only bios setting with CPU Interface enable can deliver Sandra memory bandwidth to 95%. Pls confirm that you can get 95% with CPU Interface disable.

Do you recall what was the highest stable FSB you got with the native bios 12 that came w/ the board?

And also what was the highest stable FSB with bios 13 that you tried.

You have done some sort of FSB_Sense / L12 mod, did it help higher FSB?

:D Yeppers...

I thought the same way, untill a couple of guys here whisper'd very loudly about OC'ing the abit with it disabled. And that's pretty much what I've done by keeping it disabled. Having it the other way around causes too much pain in tinkering with the memsettings/timings only to find out that my rig would *not pass prime95 torture tests. However, the postings that I've put up are with cpu interface disable. On bios 10 I can configure this to run @240FSB,@10 multi... but timing would bite me big time...
2.5-5-5-13... WindowsXP does work for about 25mins... this is however most probably the limit for my corsair xms LL pc3200 modules... @2.9v.

more... 2 follow

Last edited:
Bios 12 the most stable FSB was 220 @11.5multi... 2-2-2-6 timings.
Bios 13 was up to 225FSB, but timings were 2.5-3-3-8 or 11.
when I implemented the FSB_Sense mod on the socket, bios 13 memscores drop and we posted about this particular issue before.
Still 230FSB was not achievable to the point as compared my sisoft scores with bios 12(without mod).

Doing bios 10 with the mod still inplace... I can run 2-2-3-8 or 2-3-3-8 stable enough to keep plugging away at my games. FSB 230@11 multi. vcore 1.95 (ouch).

Sisoftscore that I posted up was with the cpu interface disabled.

Right now I"m up on 233FSB (33MHz over the rated 200mhz from Corsair)

Processor #1 : AMD Athlon XP (Model 8) / 8FA3242A
Platform : Socket A (Socket 462)
Vendor String : AuthenticAMD
CPU Type : Original OEM Processor (0)
Family : 6 (7)
Model : 8 (8)
Stepping ID : 1 (1)
Brand : ----
APIC : ----
HT Log.CPU Cnt : ----
Name String : AMD Athlon(tm)

Internal Clock : 2455.84 MHz