• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temp sensor problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GreatSaski

I had been using AMD Overdrive to monitor my cpu temp. for a while. A few weeks ago I installed an updated version of it and ever sine then, the temp's shown for all 4 cores -256C. I've tried a couple other programs like speedfan and coretemp but they say either 0 or -128. Is there a problem with the motherboard's sensor?

Odd for a 940BE to do that. Was a copy of AOD (Overdrive) included with your motherboard and, if so, did that version work OK?

I asked about your CPU because when non-quads have their other cores unlocked the temp sensor doesn't function correctly. Obviously not the problem in this case ...

Yeah, overdrive was already installed when I got the PC. I have an XPS 630. The one that was installed worked fine. It wasn't until I uninstalled it and installed an updated version.

If I ever bought an "off-the-shelf" computer I wouldn't use any software except what the manufacturer provides (or hardware either, for that matter). There's no telling what they've done to it, what kind of hardware they're using, or anything else, which is why I don't buy off-the-shelf. I did it once back in 1991. It was my first computer and it wasn't so easy to build your own then. It wasn't very easy in 1994 when I built my first rig but after all the headaches with the first one I wasn't going to buy another off-the-shelf ever again ...

Last edited:
Though I didn't have exactly the same problem as you, I found that not all versions of AMD OD work correctly with all motherboards and chipsets. If you installed the latest version then unistall it and try some earlier versions.

Back