• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temporary Dorm Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jezus53

So I just got back to university this year and I had to quickly come up with an idea for a new computer case. See, I've been waiting for the Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 to come out this August/September. Well once the 29th rolled around I decided I needed a case fast so I could finish some summer projects. So here is my rushed shoe box build.

i7-3770k (undervolt to .960 with a modest overclock to 4.0Ghz)
ASUS Maximus IV Gene Rev.3
16GB (4x4GB) G.Skill Ripjaw 1866Mhz
Samsung 830 256GB SSD
Seasonic X650
Shoe Box from Target

I'm fortunate this mobo came with power and reset on the board. The reason it looks kind hacked up is because I started to put the mobo one way but realized the power/reset buttons would be in the middle of the box.
At first boot the temps were pretty high (mid to high 60C), which I expected, but quickly jumped into 70-80C range. After ripping apart a few times I realized the heatsink had a broken clamp so it wouldn't push in all the way. I had to get some pliers and pull it through then lock it in place. Now it's happily chugging along at the upper 40C to low 50C with silent cooling.
I'm thinking of tossing my 5850 in there just for fun (which I will post pictures of course) and adding some support to the top cover. Over all I'm pretty happy with this so far and almost debating on not buying a new case at all!

Please excuse the quality. Cheap camera phone is all I could use!

Attachments

• CAM00391.jpg
    CAM00391.jpg
    680.2 KB · Views: 351
  • CAM00393.jpg
    CAM00393.jpg
    552 KB · Views: 365
  • CAM00394.jpg
    CAM00394.jpg
    650.7 KB · Views: 355
  • CAM00403.jpg
    CAM00403.jpg
    637.3 KB · Views: 352
They keep comin' back!

Cardboard has long been used for PC modding... better for ducts and other minor implements than the case itself! Although, I did once run an IRC server out of a cardboard box...

Cases provide shielding (keeps electrical noise in) and structure, to protect your expensive goodies. Also a nice large ground, ready to take a death sentence from your fingertip (static electricity) instead of your motherboard. I've actually gutted some Athlon XP / Pentium 4 beige boxes recently for more modern builds. Works out excellent since I don't care about looks, and holds the parts well. Heck, even an old Dell tower would do the job in a pinch.

I would have loved to use an old desktop but I tossed about 5 cases a little over two years ago thinking they would never be useful. I am currently regretting not keeping at least one!

A little update on this I guess, I found I had put the fan on top in the wrong direction even though I checked five times before putting it on. It was pulling air out, causing the cpou cooler to fight it for air. Once I reversed it temps went into the low 30s. I thought high 40s to low 50s seemed high, even for a shoe box! I also added my 5850 to the mix. It was a little bit of a challenge, but I managed to get it in there. I'll post pics of it later.

So Ben333, you gave me the urg to try the ducting idea. My window for the dorm is just above where my computer is so how could I pass up the opportunity? I give you my wonderful duct! It's made from two 12 soda packs as the main ducting and the top window part isa cereal box, and a couple smaller boxes taped together. There's two Xigmetek (not sure on specifics) fans connected in a very hobo style way to a 7V power supply I took from an ethernet switch I wasn't using. This runs to the fan on top of the box and flows directly onto the CPU. And boy is it cold. Currently outside temps in the evening (during my heaviest use) are high 40s to low 50s. And during light use (watching gsl on one screen and browsing the web on another) gives me CPU temps of around 28C. During gaming (World of Tanks is the only game I've played so far) I'm around mid to high 40C with it peaking at 50C rarely.
You may notice I also added a GPU. Unfortunately I don't have that cooled by outside air yet, but during the light use it stays almost always at 52C, which is hotter than normal but not by much, and in gaming goes to low 70C. Overall I'm super happy about this and will be sad to see it go, but I plan on getting a legit case this black friday. hope you've enjoyed!

Attachments

• CAM00463.jpg
    CAM00463.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 248
  • CAM00464.jpg
    CAM00464.jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 244
  • CAM00465.jpg
    CAM00465.jpg
    665.7 KB · Views: 245
  • CAM00459.jpg
    CAM00459.jpg
    773.3 KB · Views: 245
  • CAM00458.jpg
    CAM00458.jpg
    431.2 KB · Views: 250
  • CAM00457.jpg
    CAM00457.jpg
    656.4 KB · Views: 260
:thup: Nice man! The 'ol window duct mod, wether it's from a window AC unit in the summer, or just the outside air in the cooler seasons has got to be the most effective way to run cooler on a budget, period. Not to mention it's free.

Only thing that sucks in the winter is home heating is EXPENSIVE lol

I always wanted to do a nice setup involving an insulated case /w supply & return ducts to the window. Basically running the PC outside, but keeping it indoors...

:thup: Nice man! The 'ol window duct mod, wether it's from a window AC unit in the summer, or just the outside air in the cooler seasons has got to be the most effective way to run cooler on a budget, period. Not to mention it's free.

Only thing that sucks in the winter is home heating is EXPENSIVE lol

I always wanted to do a nice setup involving an insulated case /w supply & return ducts to the window. Basically running the PC outside, but keeping it indoors...

watercooling? :thup: just keep it away from north / south walls :D

Back