• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

temps, temps, temps, what temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yes, core temp max is displayed as 42c, add 12c to that to get the core temps with this cpu.

Well, 54 C is still within the cap.

How many grand rug rats do you have?

I have only one grand rug rat but i hope for a few more when we get you know who out of office and the kids move back out of the house.
how many rug rats have you?

i can't raise my cpu nb voltage, lower right vertical slider in amd overdrive, it is at 1.1 and when i adjust it and hit apply, it returns to 1.1.

Like I am fond of pointing out, AMDOD is buggy. Do you have CPUNB in bios?

I was starting to get the feeling it was about time to go into bios, and I thought racing filled my brain with junk and destroyed my life.
you lucky *******, i only have one and he is three.

before i start into the bios,
#1 how do i prep windows
#2 can i keep overdrive and use it as a monitor

ok, found prime 95 and figureing out how to setup and use it, any help i can get will be helpful

have set my core speed, multiplyer and voltage in bios, running prime95 large fft, now my core run 2800-4000 and it will be 4 at 2800 then the same 4 at 4000, what have i screwed up?

Last edited:
more that i have learned.
#? i can use amd overdrive to monitor my system when overclocking but, turbo core is enabled as default. turbo core MUST be turned off or it will confuse the computer and me to no end and cause many what are called bsds.

I have decided to start ALL OVER, bios reset to factory defaults, no clocks and will run prime 95 'blend' for 17 hours (give or take). This will tell me if I even have a starting point for a good solid overclocking machine or a true rickshaw.

The middle->back portion of your motherboard manual should provide you with bios options and how to navigate. The pdf can be downloaded from here.

I have gathered both manuals today.
i also found on that site a supported cpu list and a spec sheet and here is what i found on those.

my processor is not on the supported list.

the board socket is listed as am3, and my processor is listed as am3+

do I need to be concerned at this point with these issues?

thank you very much psykoikonov and trents

Last edited:
awesome new cooling system

i have embarked on a new cooling system for my very hot running fx8120.
I think that this radiator from a 1.6 liter honda and huge evaporative swamp cooler is really going to keep my power hungery, hot running cpu at bay.

Attachments

• PICT0012.JPG
    PICT0012.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 17
Okay, having re-read the entire thread and getting A-retentive as I often do, I found this. It is the only temp monitoring software that I have found that "specifically" addresses the 15h, bulldozer family of cpus. I take that back since I know that HWMonitor in version 1.8.5 which was released specifically for AMD FX processor reviewers and was available for download for such reviewers for review at the release of AMD FX processor. Note: I do not pay any attention to the idle temps of the processor as we are not worried about idle temps. Most sensors are very inaccurate at idle since they are designed to indicate approach of high temps for cpu throttle back or shutdown.

•Added support for AMD family 12h (Llano) and 15h (Bulldozer) CPUs.

I have downloaded and unzipped and run OpenHardwareMonitor on my Intel mobo that I am very very familiar with and its' readings. Due the fact that OHMonitor is adjustable in its' freeware version and is accurate against other familiar readings...I will be swapping to OHMonitor.

Perhaps since it says it supports 15h Bulldozer/FX processors, perhaps it will read Max Temps of FX processors more accurately. Only some of you with an FX processor can tell or try to tell.
RGone...ster

Attachments

• 1OpenHWMonitor.gif
    1OpenHWMonitor.gif
    88.3 KB · Views: 16
monitors

I'm willing, I am just learning to use my bios and make adjustments there.
what would you like me to do?

Not really necessary that you do anything. I just was looking for a temp monitor that may work better for FX processor. You have FX processor so download OpenHardwareMonitor and see if it seems more accurate at full load under Prime95.

That is all.

Oh it is not using an installer so wherever you download to just make a shortcut to the executable (after unzip) and put shortcut on desktop and click shortcut to open/initiate the program.

monitors

Rgone, i use amd overdrive to monitor cpu temps and also hardware monitor. i feel at this point in this thread that amd overdrive monitors core temps and hardware monitor displays socket temps, i will make a pull tonight with all three open and post the screen shot.

on my 955 machine both of these monitors agree
on my fx8120 machine harware monitor reads 12c lower, as you can see in the screensots i have already posted.

Back