• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TFC XChanger 480mm radiator - still any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Schousboe

Hey Oc's,

I am currently building a new water cooled PC in the Phanteks Enthoo Primo. Highly recommendable by the way :). I am building primarily with used parts, also the water cooling parts.
I have already bought a thin XSPC EX480mm with four EK Vardar fans, and i now need a thick 2nd radiator to put in the bottom of the case.
I have been offered a six-year-old TFC XChanger 480mm 6cm thick rad, in a good condition, but i am concerned that it might not perform well compared to nowadays radiators as the Ek-CoolStream XE 480mm rad or the XSPC RX480 V3.

Has anyone been testing out the old TFC XChanger recently, and can tell if it can keep up with the newer rads? :confused:

If they worked well back in the day radiators didn't change how they worked. The design for the Swiftech rads hasn't changed since release and they still are dead middle of the pack. I wouldn't fret using it.

My main concern would be the condition of the rad instead of the performance itself.

What are you planning on trying to cool by the way?

My main concern would be the condition of the rad instead of the performance itself.

What are you planning on trying to cool by the way?

I bought the rad off cheap. I have cleaned it with citric acid and flushed with distilled water. It was really dirty and the citric-acid-water was all blue because of the amount of calcium in the radiator.
I'm going to give it a new white paint job today and i think it will come out nice.

I'm going to cool a overclocked 4690k CPU and two overclocked 970 SLI.
In a Phanteks Enthoo Primo with the TFC XChanger 480 rad, XSPC XE480 and a XSPC RX240 rad. I know it's completely overkill, but i'm doing it for the aesthetics. :p

Sounds like a nice setup you got there. Just make sure this rad is completely clean and ready internally or you'll just compromise the rest of the loop.

The BLUE was because you overdid the citrus.... An Acid. Maybe....

Which turns copper blue in suspension. Basic chemistry. Or you bought a rad that was full of blue dye from someone else's mistake.

Get a bit of copper wire, dribble a lemon on it. Watch.................... Next morning..... Oops!

You need to rinse clean the mistakes and make sure it's not funny liquid dyes. , empty, maybe let sit for a few hours full of hot water, shake it to the max, do it again and again......, drain, rinse, do it again and again. Once you think you got it clean, fill with HOTT water, let sit on the table for 2 days and drain into a glass bowl and see... If it's BLUE it's prolly dye.

Which won't hurt the loop, it could not be perfectly clear. That's up to you.....

Acid in strong quantities on copper... Makes the sky BLUE........

Should get great delta temps with very little noise with that much rad surface

put up some pics when you get this together :)

Back