• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Chimp Challenge Folding Race for 2013 Announcement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adak

It's That Racing Time of the Year!

The Great Chimp Challenge
Folding @ Home Race!​

Start: Saturday, April 13th, Noon (Pacific Daylight Time)
Finish: Tuesday, April 23rd, Noon (Pacific Daylight Time)

What: It's the big yearly charity race to increase awareness and
recruit volunteers for the Folding@Home medical research project.

We ( Overclockers.com: Team #32 ), are racing against:

Custom PC & Bit-Tech: CPC
EVGA
Hardware Canucks Forum: HWC
Overclockers.net: OCN
Tech Power Up!: TPU
TSC! Russia : TSC
Overclockers Australia: OCAU
Vietnam Global Team: VGT

Want to race with us? We'd love to have you join us!

Go here, and download the program that folds, using your computers spare cycles:

Stanford University, Folding@Home website:
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

The website will help you pick out the right version, for your system. Highly recommended: the FAHControl v7.3 or above.

Pick out a unique folding handle for yourself, and test it here:
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-main#ntoc31

You will want a unique folding handle!

And by all means, get a passkey while you're "nearby":
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/getpasskey.py

You'll receive no spam from it - it helps F@Home with the bookkeeping of the work units AND it gives your account AND your team, a *LOT* more points after several days of folding.

We ARE the 2012 Chimp Challenge Champions - but this is a handicap race, and that means it will be tough to repeat that victory - but we are going to do it, or melt Stanford Folding@Home servers, trying!!

We love our Lucky Monkey image!

jadedmonkey.jpg

This is a notice ONLY. Please don't post into this thread. Thanks.

Last edited:
< Bump to keep the CC Announcement, on the front page >

I have this posted around the interwbs...I will try to dedicate 3 laptops and one home PC to this. Hope it works! Im not concerned with winning, I find this form of socialization medical research absolutely amazing!

I am so enthralled in just now finding out what this means for possibly the entire world that I am going to dedicate myself to this for a long time!

Godspeed!

Why don't you ask the mods to stick it instead of bumping it?

Because I wanted it up to the top of the forum, NOW. Patience takes a flying leap when I'm getting ready for a race.

Zoooooooom! :bump:

You've seen my avatar right? Do I strike you as a patient guy? :shock:

@EckoInLasVegas:
FAH is a very computationally intensive task. I greatly admire your appreciation for the research being done, but keep a strict eye on those laptops.

They have very little air circulation, and have a real problem with heat build up. Unless you can run them on power from the wall, AND be sure they can run cool, I don't advise using a laptop for FAH. I run my own laptop for FAH with no problems, but many laptops just don't have the thermal design to handle it.

And definitely, don't run them with the battery!

@EckoInLasVegas:
FAH is a very computationally intensive task. I greatly admire your appreciation for the research being done, but keep a strict eye on those laptops.

They have very little air circulation, and have a real problem with heat build up. Unless you can run them on power from the wall, AND be sure they can run cool, I don't advise using a laptop for FAH. I run my own laptop for FAH with no problems, but many laptops just don't have the thermal design to handle it.

And definitely, don't run them with the battery!

+1

I'll second this. I have some older laptops (IBM Thinkpads r52) that had poor circulation and that cause major heat build up inside the casing.

Now, I will be folding on the same laptop again for this challenge as I did last year (Lenovo 3000 n200 with Pentium Dual core @1.86Ghz) and that has really great air flow just because of how well laid out it is.

*Not my pic but looks Identical to what I'm using*
IMG_7388.jpg

Just remove a panel and your already at the CPU, Heatsink, and Fan. No need to tear the laptop apart.

Temps never pass 60c under load unless it's somewhere that's really warm (85+F). Which is nice as just a few C's more, the fan would run at full speed (normally run at medium speed).

Now in past this laptop only got about 1k PPD. although a WU I just turning recently for T32 (making sure I got everything correct at my end before the challenge), I was getting a reading of nearly 2k ppdon the 10085 WU. (I will be having a core i7 920 at stock clocks helping out once in a while but it cant be a constant folder.)

But just to reiterate what Adak stated, watch the temps. Some laptops just dont like it. :salute:

I have an Asus G73, G74 and a hgih end HP DV7....always plugged in. They should help a fair amount. Plus I ran my work PC all day.

Make sure you have permission to run it on a computer, before you start folding. FAH gets a bad name from folders who don't have permission first, and takes a very dim view of it - they have to. Also, in many states that might be viewed as theft of computer service or some such. (I'm no lawyer).

I'm well aware of what this means. I attempted to explain the insane possabilities to my boss. He is quote the ignorant fool and understood none if it. Plus the work PC is made up of all my parts from home.

Have the laptops running full tilt right now. Go noisy fans, go!

Question though since I'm new at this. I threw my desktop at it while I'm working cause I wanted to see how it would do. Are these numbers fairly normal for my setup?

Attachments

• folding.PNG
    folding.PNG
    30.7 KB · Views: 299
It's higher than normal for a 2600K, but how's your temps?

You know that Vcore of 1.5V will prematurely kill your cpu, right?

That's a great system, Pvt.Dancer.

Thanks, but the CPU doesn't get that hot but I had to stop folding on this PC because I was working and was making life harder lol. the rad on here is overkill for this CPU, and the 1.5 wont do anything as long as you keep it cool enough. and at a point the 2600K had hit a high of 38K PPD lol didn't last long but still.

Question though since I'm new at this. I threw my desktop at it while I'm working cause I wanted to see how it would do. Are these numbers fairly normal for my setup?
I have a 3570k at 4.5 with a 690 and you are in my ballpark!

1.5 isn't a reccomended voltage on ambient really. That said, keep folding!

Back