• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The DIY discussion thread: post your projects!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
techun said:
yay, at least someone's still building things
my 12" DVC crapped out on me, so im going to put a different sub into that box around december 25th :p
What kinda box did you have it in? How did it sound? I love my DVC, I think it was about as good as you can get in that price range.

it was in a sealed box with a 250 watt amp

i forget the dimensions of the box i made, but they made it sound great, it's a pretty big box, im going to guess 3 cubic feet

Let me preface this by saying that I am terrible at making unimportant decisions... therefore I need your help.

The story: I built an extremely sturdy box (read 65 lb braced out the A) and had a phoenix-gold Xenon 10xd4 in it. Recently when it was being moved the box was dropped (ugh). The dropper is no longer my friend (kidding) but the magnet assembly was permanently fubared. Therefore I am now in the market for a new sub.

Specs: The sub will be used in a 1.77 (before driver displacement) cubic foot box with two mounting inlays (one for 12 inch drivers, one for 10 inch). This is closer to 1.55 ft^3 after driver displacement. It will be powered by a Mackie 1400i in the bridged configuration (most likely power will not be an issue).

What I've looked at: Obviously I've glanced at the shivas, daytons, NHTs, and most recently the TC-Sounds (I was the most intrigued by TC-sounds)

What I want from you guys: Any suggestions for what you think the best driver would be given the enclosure.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Here's are some I'm trying to decide between:

Dayton 12 DVC: http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~ac..._dayton_12_dvc/

Elemental Design 13kv.2: http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/pr...&products_id=31

TC-sounds db-500 12 or 10:http://www.tcsounds.com/db500.htm

Any suggestions?

^^^

Take the TC.

I have a project in the works, im making a new enclosure for my TC's. Wont get started until I can afford some MDF though :(

techun said:
it was in a sealed box with a 250 watt amp

i forget the dimensions of the box i made, but they made it sound great, it's a pretty big box, im going to guess 3 cubic feet

I now have the Dayton 12" high output reference series sub in it..delight to the ears. And a pioneer 7.1 receiver :)

Hey guys! It's been a really long time since I was on here. I just realized all my pictures have broken links! I'm going back and adding all my old stuff to Picasas and redoing all my posts as best I can. I will also post some pics of my current system (semi-DIY). Sadly I have lost a decent number of pictures so I will do my best to re-edit my posts to make sense and not have broken links. Hopefully I can get all my posts fixed over this week end.

Thanks,
Ryan

Last edited:
Hey guys! It's been a really long time since I was on here. I just realized all my pictures have broken links! I'm going back and adding all my old stuff to Picasas and redoing all my posts as best I can. I will also post some pics of my current system (semi-DIY). Sadly I have lost a decent number of pictures so I will do my best to re-edit my posts to make sense and not have broken links. Hopefully I can get all my posts fixed over this week end.

Thanks,
Ryan

Good to see you again man! Looking forward to your new system :) Also thanks for getting those pics back up. Had nothing to refer to anymore for good DIY Sonotube setups ;)

I figured Id post this here...my 3W single-ended triode I built a couple months back. Single-ended has such a fluid ghostly sound to it. Its the oldest amplifier technology out there, and sounds the best IMO. This one uses a matched pair of monoplate Sovtek 6B4Gs for the output, a NOS Sylvania 6SL7GT driver, and a NOS Tung Sol 6AX5 rectifier. The power transformer is a Dynaco PA774, and the output trannies are NOS James 6113HS units. The output transformers were the most expensive part...$200 for a matched pair.

newbase1.jpg

Something I already have all the parts for, but I've been too busy or lazy to build it while going to school. Parts have been sitting in boxes since 2000. :shrug:

Teaser plots. two 5"x26" vents or Six 18" PRs

Subwoofer.jpg

Will consist of two 18" Seismic 8196 drivers and six DIY 18" 3kg PRs in a 600 liter enclosure. Based on a 1x18" + 3x18" cube sub design by Deon Bearden called 'theBeast'

Seismic 8196
293-674_L.jpg

'theBeast'
The New Beast.jpg

Last edited:
Something I already have all the parts for, but I've been too busy or lazy to build it while going to school. Parts have been sitting in boxes since 2000. :shrug:

Teaser plots. two 5"x26" vents or Six 18" PRs

View attachment 91343

Will consist of two 18" Seismic 8196 drivers and six DIY 18" 3kg PRs in a 600 liter enclosure. Based on a 1x18" + 3x18" cube sub design by Deon Bearden called 'theBeast'

Seismic 8196
View attachment 91360

'theBeast'
View attachment 91361

I didn't know you had such a blatant disregard for small animals in a 5sq block radius. ;)

That is beyond simply being "TheBeast" That is the destroyer of worlds, the harbringer of the end. And I want it in my HT room nao.

Hello.

First DIY speakers! Went to a local friend who's dad is a antiques dealer and as geeky as it sounds went to see his sons train set. Went up, and discovered these.

a768ae83.jpg

In shock and horror as a hifi geek knew that these were kinda special, even though they look like a pile of crap. (Name - Davenport DS10's)

The plan, change all the comp's diffrent plugs to make everything easyer. Then finish the cabs with a nice deep cherry red varnish :)

Cost - Nothing so far, they were about to be thrown to the fire! :/ Glad i saved them good strong sturdy cab's!

(Sorry about spelling, its not going to get any better so please dont complain)

Last edited:
thinking of doing a new speaker box build with woofers and amp I am currently using.

I have a (bash 300) set up in parallel to two (Dayton QT255-4 10" Quatro Subwoofer 4 Ohm)

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-750&FTR=bash 300

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-550 &FTR=295-550

They are in two separate boxes (tuba 24's)

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/T24.html

New idea is to make a table in the center of home theater area holding both 10"s and running the bash300 in parallel again, but with added what I think are called diaphragms. Diaphragms, only the paper woofer, no voice coil. I would have 2 powered woofers, and 4 10" diaphragms.

How does that sound? pun intended

sealed of course.

These are the first woodies I've tried making for my Grado headphones.
With two more updates.
Almost ready to put together.

Attachments

• 900x900px-LL-1a5bc086_P1020528.jpeg
    900x900px-LL-1a5bc086_P1020528.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 177
  • GrCup2.jpg
    GrCup2.jpg
    893.1 KB · Views: 166
  • Grado old new.jpg
    Grado old new.jpg
    630.2 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Here is what I have been working on lately.

First is my Grado SR-80i. Custom headband, canare miniquad single sided re-cable, home done padauk wood cups with oak & padauk distancers, home done oak adjusting blocks, and Grado L-cush pads

Second is my Grado SR-60 (non "i" model). Custom headband, canare miniquad re-cable, home done oak shorty cups and oak adjusting blocks.

Third is the CMOY I built about 5 or 6 years ago but finally put it into a decent wood enclosure made from a solid 5x5x2 block of Zapote, hollowed out, reinforced, drilled for components, and two 1/4" x 2.5" boards for the base/access cover which is simply hot glued into place.

Attachments

• IMAG0697_BURST002.jpg
    IMAG0697_BURST002.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 168
  • IMAG0683.jpg
    IMAG0683.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 165
  • IMAG0666.jpg
    IMAG0666.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 165
Very nice!

Here's some I'm working on in African Mahogany

Attachments

• AfrHah1.jpg
    AfrHah1.jpg
    541.9 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Very nice cups! Are you using a lathe, CNC, or the hole saw method?

I have a couple cylinders of Zapote wood I still need to turn, in the lathe. I will most likely sell them off. I have a drill press now and will be experimenting with some techniques to get some cups produced for cheap.

One last run on the lathe of Cocobolo and my sets will be all done. :)

Very nice cups! Are you using a lathe, CNC, or the hole saw method?

I have a couple cylinders of Zapote wood I still need to turn, in the lathe. I will most likely sell them off. I have a drill press now and will be experimenting with some techniques to get some cups produced for cheap.

One last run on the lathe of Cocobolo and my sets will be all done. :)

I'm using the hole saw method although it's not the best. I had to put feet on my latest ones for the ear pads and have to use a hair drier to soften up the plastic on the headband so it will fit. I'd like to sell some on ebay but I think Ill sell them with a headband on.

Here is my latest pair using Cherry. The black cherry has a shimmer to it that doesn't come out in the pics.

Attachments

• Grado cups.jpg
    Grado cups.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Back