• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Dremel Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would like to emphasize how GOOD the Diamond cut off wheel is. IT is MUCH better than the fiberglass reinforced wheels for cutting steel. It is well worth the $12 I spent.

btw,when using the Diamond cutoff wheel, don't let it cut you...it hurts...a LOT....:mad: :p

Oh, what has been said about the diamond cut off wheels.

They're awesome. I brought mine for $12 for 4, and they're the best investment I've made in modding.

Compared to the normal ones and the fiberglass-reinforced ones, there is no comparison. They don't break much, they last for damn ever, and cut better!

I went through 40 something normal cutoff discs and then I did the same amount of work with 1 diamond disc.

exothermic said:
Oh, what has been said about the diamond cut off wheels.

They're awesome. I brought mine for $12 for 4, and they're the best investment I've made in modding.

Compared to the normal ones and the fiberglass-reinforced ones, there is no comparison. They don't break much, they last for damn ever, and cut better!

I went through 40 something normal cutoff discs and then I did the same amount of work with 1 diamond disc.

Yup, I agree :D

I just got my dremel a few weeks ago and I'm loving it. Only problem I've been running into is the expensive pricing on some of the bits. After buying a few necessary bits, I found it is much better to buy these things in kits.

When I first bought the dremel, I picked up some heavy duty wheels for $5 since I'd be using cut-off wheels the most. A week later I find that for $10 I could've bought the 69 piece cut-off wheel kit that includes the same amount of heavy duty wheels, the standard wheels, some fiberglass wheels and some of the monster wheels. Kinda sucked, but I learned my lesson on that one.

Second problem I've run into is wasting about $3 on the multi-purpose cutting bit #561. I bought the Multi Purpose Cutting Kit which conatins the 2 drywall bits and the #561 bit, but the 561 in the kit was different from the one I bought seperately. The one in the kit cuts much better and has a tighter spiral than the one that didn't come in the kit. Next time I go to the hardware store, I'm going to talk to one of the hardware guys and ask why that is(along with an email to Dremel).

So anyways, a couple dollars wasted here and there, but I'm a fast learner so I'm ok. I would like to pass on this info so others don't make the same mistake. I also figure I can learn some more from the people posting in this thread, so all corrections or tips are appreciated.

First things first, sounds like I'm gonna have to go pickup some diamond wheels to test them out.

Second, where is a good place to buy some of the harder to find kits? I'm most interested in the Carbide Cutter Kit #693. Those tungsten carbide bits are pretty expensive and I'm pretty sure I could find a use for all the ones in the kit instead of buying them seperately. So far the only store I've found that has them is http://store.yahoo.com/tylertool/drempowtoola.html . I've checked with Lowe's and Home Depots in my area and they don't carry it along with the online stores.

Last, for now, how hot is too hot for the dremel? I had a generic imitation dremel that I used for about 45 minutes once that got too hot and burned out. Sometimes while doing some hard cuts on my case(where I can't use a jigsaw), I'll be using the dremel for 30+ minutes with few cool downs and I wonder if it'll give out like my generic dremel did...? I've read 2 mod guides where the guys' dremels broke down and had to finish projects without them. Any advice on extended use?

Any other information on the dremel you might find important to know, I'll appreciate. Also, any kits or particular bits that you recommend are good to know(for example, I like using the #199 High Speed Cutter for plastic drive covers).

After doing some searching, I found this seller on eBay
CLICK ME!
or add thomasaxel1999 to your favorites.

*EDIT #3*
I just checked the ebay link I posted and it said user invalid. He changed his name so I updated the link. It goes straight to his feedback. Click on Items on Sale on the right to see his stuff.

*EDIT*
Here's the link to his website if you don't like dealing with eBay or don't have an eBay account. His store prices aren't as much of a deal as his eBay auctions, but worth comparing to where you would normally be buying.
CLICK ME!

*EDIT #2*
If he's not selling on eBay at the moment, you'll have to go with the store. He randomly goes through periods where he won't sell on eBay anywhere from a couple weeks to a couple of months.

He sells all Dremel® tools, bits and kits. For the cheaper smaller bits, you're better off buying at your usual dremel tool retailer, but for some of the other more expensive items he has some great prices.

I kept looking around for the Tungsten Carbide kit and the cheapest I could find was $30 not including shipping. This guy on ebay has it for [buy it now] $21 + $3 shipping. Not only that, but I'll probably pick up the kit along with a diamond wheel ($10 buy it now) and maybe a multi-purpose accessory kit and save on shipping.

Maybe I love my Dremel too much?

Last edited:
very nice guide, people should make sure to go slow take your time, and do it right,, the beifits definitly are well worth it,,,,

That seller on ebay is very good. I have just received a kit i bought from him, fast shipment, and VERY good prices. I got a whole nice big kit with all kinds of accesories. Tomorrow i am going to test out my new dremel.

picked my dremel and all accesories nib at an estate sale...item were purchsed and never used...cool for me now off to the mod extreme lab hooowaaahaaaaaaa

I'm planning on doing a little modding to my Lian-Li tomorrow with my new Dremel, and that guide was really helpful. I'll post here with the results when I'm finished.

Very good tools similiar to Dremel come from the german company Proxxon, they are especially for detailed work and modelling. There is a large range of products so you'll find a special tool for nearly every procedure. Extremely recommendable :thup:

http://www.proxxon.com/

Back