• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Fall of Crackdown

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
The critics are... for once... all in agreement:

http://digitalcentralmedia.co.uk/crackdown-3-review/

...Crackdown 3 is a TERRIBLE, terrible game.

But what's significant is that all the buzz around Xbox has been about all he "progress" they've made and ground they've gained since one of the worse console launches in history. How much they had changed... and how much they were looking to turn things around.

I actually got an Xbox One before I ever had a PS4. A friend of mine loaned me his and refused to take it back for FOUR YEARS. In fact... he never DID take it back. He sent some other friend to come pick it up so that guy could play Red Dead Redemption 2. Back then the system had a lot of promise and not a bad amount of exclusives. The Rare Replay, the Halo Master Chief Collection, Killer Instinct... just to name a few. I think one of the first games that I fully paid for was the Gears of War Ultimate Edition.

Little did I know that would, essentially, be as good as it ever got. Sea of Thieves flopped, Halo 5 stumbled, and now... their biggest and most high profile exclusive of 2019 is a complete and utter failure. And those are the highlights... On the down low, for me at least over in Europe, either certain features or AL of Xbox Live are down about as often as they are up. Sometimes it doesn't detect my Xbox Gold membership. Sometimes it doesn't detect my Gamerpass. Sometimes it won't sign me in at all. The wait is usually HOURS... not minutes.

I honestly can't remember any significant PS4 downtime since I got the console in 2016. I'm sure it WAS down at some point... but I never noticed it. None of the core features were ever not functioning. Then there are more annoying things like the ever-changing, but never really improving XMB.

But Crackdown really spells TROUBLE for Xbox. How could they not KNOW that they had a problem on their hands? Why would they hype a game that they HAD to know wasn't going to meet anyone's expectations? The only reason I can think of is that they had no alternative. There was nothing in development and nothing coming in the short or long term. They have been RIDICULOUSLY bad at securing the exclusives that made the Xbox 360 so great.

Crackdown 3 was their best shot...

...and their best was terrible.

I think it shows that they had to re-do the game multiple times. The production was a mess and seems sloppily thrown together and hoping that people would want the same experience they got a decade ago from the first one. The problem is games have advanced A LOT since then, and if you don't keep up with the Jones's in some regards the game will feel dated. And from multiple reviews (mainly Jeff Gerstmann's at giant bomb) stating that even after all the hype of adding the bombastic Terry Crews as the main character, his quips/voice is so faded you can barely hear him saying anything when he's talking. Apparently also the multiple is a mess of mediocrity and poorly thought ideas.

Too bad, I did really enjoy CD1 when it came out that long ago, but man they really dropped it.

I think it shows that they had to re-do the game multiple times. The production was a mess and seems sloppily thrown together and hoping that people would want the same experience they got a decade ago from the first one. The problem is games have advanced A LOT since then, and if you don't keep up with the Jones's in some regards the game will feel dated. And from multiple reviews (mainly Jeff Gerstmann's at giant bomb) stating that even after all the hype of adding the bombastic Terry Crews as the main character, his quips/voice is so faded you can barely hear him saying anything when he's talking. Apparently also the multiple is a mess of mediocrity and poorly thought ideas.

Too bad, I did really enjoy CD1 when it came out that long ago, but man they really dropped it.

Wow... I keep forgetting that Jeff Gerstmann ever existed and that he left IGN and started Giant Bomb after that review fiasco. I'm thinking I probably should've supported him... which I would've!

...if I hadn't forgotten about him! :lol:

Yeah the orginal Crackdown was AMAZINGLY fun. Me and my best friend... driving around that town.. shooting up the place... Those were good times.

I mean not NEARLY as good a time as we spent playing the first Gears of War... but good times nonetheless.

Yep absolutely, just for clarity sake, he left/was fired from Gamespot, he hasn't ever done any work with IGN.

Somewhat ironic is that CBS bought Giant Bomb a handful of years ago, putting them right by (in the same building as, even) Gamespot as they are both under the same parent company.

Yep absolutely, just for clarity sake, he left/was fired from Gamespot, he hasn't ever done any work with IGN.

Somewhat ironic is that CBS bought Giant Bomb a handful of years ago, putting them right by (in the same building as, even) Gamespot as they are both under the same parent company.

Yeah that was it. Gamespot. Fired for writing an honest review. :)

I would've given him MONEY to start GiantBomb... had life not interrupted.

Back