• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Great KingMax PC2700 debate. Let's end it.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
PilotPC said:
I bought KingMax PC2700 from Newegg.com thinking it was the good stuff (DDR333) and after reading about it being "fake" DDR333 on another forum, I took a look at mine. Sure enough, it is the "-7" 7ns stuff. I paid $77 per 256mb stick for mine. Now it's up to $95 I believe. I'm kinda ****ed off, but I don't do any real wild overclocking, so I don't think I'll go through the trouble of RMA'ing it back to them. Something is definitely fishy about this all though. It should be classified as "fraud". That's like selling a "Pentium 1.4" running at 1.2. Not cool. I'm currently overclocking my XP1600 to 1.53Ghz using a 145Mhz FSB and it runs with no problems at all. Getting 2200&2100mb/s Sandra memory scores.

I also paid $77, on Dec. 26th from Kommax, and I also got the 7a stuff. But RMAing it was easy- not a hassle at all. The only reason I ordered it was to get the -5ns ram, and when I called Kommax, they said to send it back with a not explaining my position and what I wanted them to do. He said if it was not my own error they would "make it right", and they did- I overnighted it to them, on one day, they got it the next day and shipped the right stuff back out hours later. I got it the following day, and it came with the reciept for them having credited my account back the cost of shipping it back to them. I was so pleased with how swiftly they resolved the issue that a few days ago I ordered two more sticks. In the "comments" field of the online order form I asked them to be sure and send the -5ns chips, and so we'll see probably today if that worked. I'll go check my box in a little bit and see what's there.

You ordered a specific product, and they did not send that product to you, so you should feel comfortable demanding that the proper part be delivered.

Wahoo I got my stuff today!!! Got the 05 with the factory sticker. Nick is a great guy. Glad I got all this straighten out, all I need now is a new mobo and cpu.

Northwood or XP 2200?:eh?:

so is the -07a 5ns ram or not. Why would kingmax sell the tiny BGA as some being 5ns and others not? I thought all the 333 from Kingmax was 5ns. i haven't seen any different anywhere.

I emailed Crazy PC telling them they sent me the -07a instead of the -05a which I wanted and I haven't heard anything back yet. How long did it take fo ryou to get your response.?

Again, the -05 is 6ns ram not 5ns ram. I have yet to see any program id the chips as 5ns ram. Anyone have different info?

grdh20 said:
Again, the -05 is 6ns ram not 5ns ram. I have yet to see any program id the chips as 5ns ram. Anyone have different info?
According to Kingmax it is 5ns. Programs can make mistakes.

SuperFLyJimmy said:
so is the -07a 5ns ram or not. Why would kingmax sell the tiny BGA as some being 5ns and others not? I thought all the 333 from Kingmax was 5ns. i haven't seen any different anywhere.

I emailed Crazy PC telling them they sent me the -07a instead of the -05a which I wanted and I haven't heard anything back yet. How long did it take fo ryou to get your response.?

I assume you are talking to me. One question for you first though: do the Kingmax stickers on your RAM say MPM or MPL? Just curious...if they say MPM then they are only 300MHz rated for sure.

To answer you: I got the response within 24 hours. I emailed in the middle of the day and had a response the next mid-morning when I checked my email again. Also, if you call the (248) area code # they will call you back. Heh, I wonder if Nick is getting ****ed yet exchanging all this RAM. Unfortunately, they will probably sell it to someone else who is happy enough if the sticker says "DDR333." Oh well....

yeah thanks. Hell witem for gettin ****ed. the shouldnt cheat people. Yes they say MPM#######. SO i got Scre*ed huh?
Yup Ill be calling them later. Thanks for the help.

Where on the kingmax website does it say any of their modules are 5ns? I actually have a pdf spec data sheet that one of their salesmen sent me on this part # and it says that they are actually 7.5ns chips. (thgis may be the original spec and since changed) I have only seen the -05's, which I have 2 of, read as 6ns. If anyone can point to a "kingmax" web page where it says 5ns, please show me. I now resellers are advertising it that way, but I beleive that they are 6ns chips and not 5.

SuperFLyJimmy said:
yeah thanks. Hell witem for gettin ****ed. the shouldnt cheat people. Yes they say MPM#######. SO i got Scre*ed huh?
Yup Ill be calling them later. Thanks for the help.

I would not assume it was the vendor's fault. This has happened at numerous places, it seems Kingmax may be supplying them with wrong memory types. Remember, be nice and you'll get a pleasant response back. Be mean and they might too....

grdh20 said:
Where on the kingmax website does it say any of their modules are 5ns? I actually have a pdf spec data sheet that one of their salesmen sent me on this part # and it says that they are actually 7.5ns chips. (thgis may be the original spec and since changed) I have only seen the -05's, which I have 2 of, read as 6ns. If anyone can point to a "kingmax" web page where it says 5ns, please show me. I now resellers are advertising it that way, but I beleive that they are 6ns chips and not 5.

Yeah, good point I have searched the Kingmax site high and low. The problem is that they only have pdf data sheets for up to 300MHz PC2400 modules. So it is kind of hard to know exactly what the deal with the 333MHz parts is when there is no data to go by. I just want chips that run >=a66MHz, pref@cas 2, and the -05's seem to do that. Kind of like different CPU steppings, ya know?

Im sure it isn't the vendors fault. But f they sell it they will replace it all the same. I have no problems with the vendors, and I am always nice as long as they are. I use to be a vendor and I know what it is like.

Yup mine isn't the 5ns 333mhz stuff. I was at 155fsb and was getting errors all the time at 2-2-2. I set it to 2.5 and they were gone. My stick has the MPM and -07a on it. I called Crazy PC about a replacement. Emailed and left a message. Hopefully they will respect that they sent me the wrong stuff and replace it. My Order slip even says. Kingmax PC2700 333Mhz Tiny BGA which it obviously isn't. Let yall know what happens.

Hehe oops I made a mistake in my post Superfly. It should be:
MPL=300MHz for sure.
MPM=333MHz according to Kingmax.

I need to relearn the alphabet it seems... M comes after L :)

Back