• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The HATE for sony discussed in vivid detail please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OC Noob said:
I wouldn't write off one of the best, if not the best, game programers ever based on that. A producer he is not, but he is an absolute master with game engines.

I'll grant you that. He's a master with game engines. But as far as taking his advice on the potential of something... I don't know... I just keep thinking of that billion dollar studio down in texas or wherever it was... where him in the boys basically spent most of their time eating pizza and pushing back release dates, and telling the world about how much better than everybody else they were.

He played the media like a fiddle for the better part of two years before it all went tumbling down. A character not entirely unlike... Rob Leifeld (don't know if that was his first name) from the comic book world, Eric Bischoff from the wrestling world, hmm... there are a lot of these guys. I'll think up more later.

Well I am actually someone who falls in the middle area. I do not hate them but do not love them. Their products for me have always been of good quality, though I have disagreed with a few business decisions they have made. Blu-Ray and Cell are both very impressive technologies and IMO don't get the respect they deserve around here(mainly Blu-Ray) simply because they have the Sony name on them. I honestly don't fully understand the hate but I think a main reason is people around here like Nintendo so they then decide they must hate ever competitor of Nintendo and over play ever little thing Sony does. Also a lot of people feel they got screwed with the old Sony Disc fiasco a few months back.

Just a short question here...

Why does it seem that everyone is convinced the PS3 is doomed if Blu-Ray falls? Switching over to the winning format--whatever it is, personally, I don't think it will be either of the two--wouldn't be honestly that hard, would it?

welco said:
Just a short question here...

Why does it seem that everyone is convinced the PS3 is doomed if Blu-Ray falls? Switching over to the winning format--whatever it is, personally, I don't think it will be either of the two--wouldn't be honestly that hard, would it?

Who knows what will happen, but there really isn't a good reason for them to switch formats at any point. I guess if the new movie format of the future turns out to be Ritz crackers they may make an add on drive and so would MS, but BR isn't going anywhere for a while and if they did use a Ritz cracker drive to replace the BR drive mid console cycle it would have to be backwards compatible with all the BR/DVD games.

Its not going to happen.

OC Noob said:
Who knows what will happen, but there really isn't a good reason for them to switch formats at any point. I guess if the new movie format of the future turns out to be Ritz crackers they may make an add on drive and so would MS, but BR isn't going anywhere for a while and if they did use a Ritz cracker drive to replace the BR drive mid console cycle it would have to be backwards compatible with all the BR/DVD games.

Its not going to happen.

Yeah but it would get confusing at parties when I was trying to figure out if it was a movie or an Hours' de ourve(SP?)

"STOP EATING MY DVD'S!"
"Polly want a DVD err cracker?"

Adragontattoo said:
Yeah but it would get confusing at parties when I was trying to figure out if it was a movie or an Hours' de ourve(SP?)

Hors (means "outside of") d'œuvres (means "centerpiece," "masterpiece," main dish)

Correct pronunciation: "Or- Doveruhs"

Looks to me like Sony is just one of many companies in an industry-wide search. Sony just seems to be next on the list.

Your post skews available information to make the company look more evil and nasty than they probably are in this incident. Sony has also stated that it will co-operate fully w/ the DoJ.

My post does nothing except list a slashdot link (I'm not the one who submitted it to slashdot either)... I'm not trying to hide anything.

rainless said:
I'll grant you that. He's a master with game engines. But as far as taking his advice on the potential of something... I don't know... I just keep thinking of that billion dollar studio down in texas or wherever it was... where him in the boys basically spent most of their time eating pizza and pushing back release dates, and telling the world about how much better than everybody else they were.

He played the media like a fiddle for the better part of two years before it all went tumbling down. A character not entirely unlike... Rob Leifeld (don't know if that was his first name) from the comic book world, Eric Bischoff from the wrestling world, hmm... there are a lot of these guys. I'll think up more later.

well you said hes a master of game engines, hes telling you whats more powerful and what type of performance to expect.. so why wouldnt you trust his word? He is the premier game engine developer, thats all they do is work wtih graphics pretty much.

If anyone is a good indicator of what to expect it would be from someone like him..

Falcon-K said:
well you said hes a master of game engines, hes telling you whats more powerful and what type of performance to expect.. so why wouldnt you trust his word?

Because he's a bit of a jackass.

I hate Sony, but not for the above mentioned so far.

SOE ruined EverQuest, they absolutely obliterated SWG. They will ruin, and have already began to ruin Vanguard.

They can all burn in hell. :mad:

Well, maybe not hate Sony, but definately those in charge of SOE.

:beer: :beer: :bang head :beer: :beer: :eek:

rainless said:

John Carmack did not do Diakatana, John Romero did. John Romero also helped start up Ion Storm which are the offices in Dallas you are talking about. I went to the opening party they had there and it was an amazing office and great party. Waste of money, but amazing.

Carmack did started ID. They did the original Wolfenstien, Doom, Doom II, Quake, Quake II, Doom III, etc. He's a great engine dev. Much more than John Romero. Romero didn't really design too much worth mentioning.

Now, to the topic. I hate Sony for what they did to SWG. I could careless about anything else but the destroyed a game that I really enjoyed.

Gobo said:
John Carmack did not do Diakatana, John Romero did. John Romero also helped start up Ion Storm which are the offices in Dallas you are talking about. I went to the opening party they had there and it was an amazing office and great party. Waste of money, but amazing.

Carmack did started ID. They did the original Wolfenstien, Doom, Doom II, Quake, Quake II, Doom III, etc. He's a great engine dev. Much more than John Romero. Romero didn't really design too much worth mentioning.

Now, to the topic. I hate Sony for what they did to SWG. I could careless about anything else but the destroyed a game that I really enjoyed.

My mistake. Confusing John Carmack and John Romero. Still I wouldn't take anyone's word on what THEY perceive to be a consoles limitations before 90 percent of the publishers have even made a single GAME for that console. I remember what those exact programmers were saying about the shared memory for the PS2. Apparently they found a way around that. And let's not forget all the miracles of latterday SNES and Genesis.

What's SWG?

swg is star wars galaxies, it was one of the most in depth MMOs out on the market and SOE tried to turn it into star wars: world of warcraft edition... and it failed miserably. Probably 3/4 of the player best left within 9 months.

The game is just getting content back it had for years now after almost a year after the "new game enhancments"

I find people talking about the "power" the ps3 has to be really funny. The fact that the 360 launched a year earlier and will still be able to compete grapically says a lot. The true power of the ps3 is sony's hype machine, making everyone think that this thing will blow everyone out of the water, and that intel and amd will die in the face of the allmighty cell. From what I understand the cell didn't even come close to living up to the expectations of Sony. The original idea was that the cell would also function as the GPU, but sony wasn't able to get that to work and essentially had to have nvidia bail them out with one of their GPUs. Its funny how you see the number 2.18 TFLOPS touted as being a benchmark of how awesomely powerful the ps3 & the cell are, but only 9% of that number comes from the cell...the other 91%? Nvidia's GPU.

In the end, who cares if the ps3 has a little more power than the 360? Both will look relatively the same, some ps3 titles will low WORSE than some 360 titles and vice versa. Power isn't the end all and be all of consoles, xbox is more powerful than ps2...ps2 still sold far more units.

I like Sony but then again I only buy their tv's..

I just had to put a 21 year old color set down.

I still have two other XBR monitors that rock.. made in 93 and still look good..

Dual comb filters..heh

onx said:
I find people talking about the "power" the ps3 has to be really funny. The fact that the 360 launched a year earlier and will still be able to compete grapically says a lot. The true power of the ps3 is sony's hype machine, making everyone think that this thing will blow everyone out of the water, and that intel and amd will die in the face of the allmighty cell. From what I understand the cell didn't even come close to living up to the expectations of Sony. The original idea was that the cell would also function as the GPU, but sony wasn't able to get that to work and essentially had to have nvidia bail them out with one of their GPUs. Its funny how you see the number 2.18 TFLOPS touted as being a benchmark of how awesomely powerful the ps3 & the cell are, but only 9% of that number comes from the cell...the other 91%? Nvidia's GPU.

In the end, who cares if the ps3 has a little more power than the 360? Both will look relatively the same, some ps3 titles will low WORSE than some 360 titles and vice versa. Power isn't the end all and be all of consoles, xbox is more powerful than ps2...ps2 still sold far more units.

...but the Xbox managed to take a significant amount of market space because of the fact that it was more powerful. I already posted about this. In games that are released for both systems people will have a tendancy to buy the PS3 version because it will look and play better. Just as people bought Xbox games over PS3 games. And that year difference between the releases? It's SIGNIFICANT. As proved, once again, in Xbox vs. PS2.

The 360 is by no means the slouch that the PS2 was, but they are still ironing out the kinks in the Cell. Will be for the next year or so. Once you can actually use all the pipes of the system... it'll be reckoning day.

Zatrix said:
PSP movie sales have made a TON of money for the sony psp.

Im thinking blu ray will do just the same for ps3 not to mention all the games.

Either way dvd will be replaced soon, either by blu ray or hd dvd

Not totally replaced but im sure blockbuster will start making a small section and then expanding it every few months?

REMEMBER vhs tapes. you cant even find one in blockbuster anymore. Unless its in a big bin for like 3-5 bucks

I'm afraid you're mistaken about UMD making much (if any) money, for anyone. Sales have been utterly abysmal, and distributors are dropping the format quickly:

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2626&Itemid=2

Back