• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Idea's Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoL

I figure OCF could use one of these? Anyone looking to acheive a goal and not know how to do it? :bang head Ask here! :eek:

lol in the XS thread we got alot of this:

"I want to cool with phase, its so cool, how does it work? Wait I dont have the attention span to find out. W00t I am going to make an auto cascade guys. Oh dont worry my dad is a mechanic I know what I am doing. Why isnt my torch lighting the gas has been on for an hour in the garage with a closed door. I want -100C with 300w load coolant temperature on a single compressor with a power draw under 400w, silent, oh and I am 12 and I have $20."

:rolleyes:

Good idea nol, lets see some questions so we can all learn something new.

:santa:

The reason why I like this forum better than XS is people are kinder, friendler and more helpful, less "clicks" to contend with and a lot less egos and self proclaimed experts. Mosts posts here are thought out and have purpose, either to inform or get help on something, rather than XS which is more like a global chatroom for computer geeks of all ages, requiring mods to constantly step in and stomp flames out. Keep in mind everyone's a novice at some point and it's in everyones best interest to share knowledge politely and treat people with respect. As for me, I'm 49, an expert at somethings, noob at other things, but always welcome new people, try to help out when possible, and very grateful of others that have helped me.

By the way :welcome:

EDIT: Ok here's some noobish questions:
I'm thinking about buying a water chiller that can pull down to -40. Can my Alphacool 1510 handle this cold.?
How about the Danger Den x1900 water block.?. Got a feeling the acrylic cover may be a problem...

thanks

Last edited:
Alright, I'm not sure of precisely what sorts of questions you're looking for in this thread, but I'll try to bite.

The time has come for me to rework my converted A/C chiller. I'd like to hear your thoughts on HX'es. Plate HX'es look perfect to me, compact and very high surface area, but very expensive as well. There are some other designs I've heard of too...tube-in-tube, two tubes sort of wrapped around each other with opposing motion, etc. Then there's the old standby of simply keeping the A/C's evap. Discuss?

Resevoir in-line!
Get a 1" pipe from homedepot, take 16" or so, make an evap with 1/4" pipe coiled in a spiral a few times, and place inside the 1", the liquid goes inside the pipe.

I was aiming more for like a reserach and development thread, people get ideas ( EDUCATED ONES ) and post here and we could figure out a solution.

proth said:
The reason why I like this forum better than XS is people are kinder, friendler and more helpful, less "clicks" to contend with and a lot less egos and self proclaimed experts. Mosts posts here are thought out and have purpose, either to inform or get help on something, rather than XS which is more like a global chatroom for computer geeks of all ages, requiring mods to constantly step in and stomp flames out. Keep in mind everyone's a novice at some point and it's in everyones best interest to share knowledge politely and treat people with respect. As for me, I'm 49, an expert at somethings, noob at other things, but always welcome new people, try to help out when possible, and very grateful of others that have helped me.

By the way :welcome:

EDIT: Ok here's some noobish questions:
I'm thinking about buying a water chiller that can pull down to -40. Can my Alphacool 1510 handle this cold.?
How about the Danger Den x1900 water block.?. Got a feeling the acrylic cover may be a problem...

thanks

yeah but the levels of expertise and information runs dry here fast. Unlese you are new to the consept and have no expirience there is not much here to learn :(

I have seen acrylic covers crack and the rubber seals frezze and crack. Get the Silverprop Cyclone FusionSL for the gpu, it has a brass top, you can take the seal out and braze it shut. Alphacool 1510? Try it but I wouldnt trust it, not as low as that chiller you are getting goes.

Gautam said:
Alright, I'm not sure of precisely what sorts of questions you're looking for in this thread, but I'll try to bite.

The time has come for me to rework my converted A/C chiller. I'd like to hear your thoughts on HX'es. Plate HX'es look perfect to me, compact and very high surface area, but very expensive as well. There are some other designs I've heard of too...tube-in-tube, two tubes sort of wrapped around each other with opposing motion, etc. Then there's the old standby of simply keeping the A/C's evap. Discuss?

Well there are the plate hx's and there are the coaxial hx's. Nol described the coaxial hx. Plate hx's work better and are smaller but cost more. You get what you pay for.

Exactly, but also never pump into a palte hx, wayyyy to much restriction.

NoL said:
Exactly, but also never pump into a palte hx, wayyyy to much restriction.

Quiet the opposite it seems. I dont know which once you tried but mine act more like a big rez then anything restrictive.

It makes sence too if you look at it. If the flow can not go down bwteen two plates it moves to the next two then on and on. The added area of the openings the flow can go though is very large.

maybe there are different types but I hooked up some tiny pumps to mine (26 plates) and it flowed very well.

You sugesting to pump out of it instead of in to it?

Yes, with my mag3 I was losing alot of head/flow by pumping thru, temps were even bad, reversed the pump and woohoo!

NoL said:
Yes, with my mag3 I was losing alot of head/flow by pumping thru, temps were even bad, reversed the pump and woohoo!

Have some info on your HX? Pictures? I am very curious. So switching the pump placement made a huge difference hu. I need to try that. Thanks.

NoL said:

Well wonder with mag 3 even pipe in pipe will do well with -30c :p NOL... open up at plate HX and tell me how much volume it has between plate :p It is tad bigger than 1/2" ID hose we talk about anyway... (actually a lot bigger) There are -30c to -40c chillers running in using plate HX just fine...
Besides, if you guys saw recent copper tubing price jack up... cringe... tube in tube is not that cheap to home make anymore -_-;

Anyways, here is what I've been pondering...
Some kind of variable sized HX... where HX ratio can be controlled... without being wasteful... basically this is one MAJOR problem with mixing gas in SS for very cold temperature. To play safe and nicely, you need to have certain amount of HX happening in SLHX and making it precise on load for each situation isn't easy. If there is a way to make heatexchange variable, I can easily make -55c 200w loaded single stage units that is safe to use :)... let's start thinking :)

Variable sized HX, you'd need a coaxial with multiple outputs that you could solenoid. To open up whichever suction hole you want. Or just get a pressure control on the suction.

NoL said:
Variable sized HX, you'd need a coaxial with multiple outputs that you could solenoid. To open up whichever suction hole you want. Or just get a pressure control on the suction.

This is more for SLHX :) Volume and heat transfer matters a lot here so trying to think if there is a way to control that... :p
Pressure control doesn't cut it from my experiments...

jinu117 said:
Anyways, here is what I've been pondering...
Some kind of variable sized HX... where HX ratio can be controlled... without being wasteful... basically this is one MAJOR problem with mixing gas in SS for very cold temperature. To play safe and nicely, you need to have certain amount of HX happening in SLHX and making it precise on load for each situation isn't easy. If there is a way to make heatexchange variable, I can easily make -55c 200w loaded single stage units that is safe to use :)... let's start thinking :)

How about variable flow HX?
Bi-pass plumbing though the HX being used for controll.

*edit* I just thought recently that this could mean complete by-pass when I was thinking more on the lines of controlling the flow, I wouldnt know what would work best in a refegerant system if it were water plumbiung I would plumb two T's or Y's out of the line and put a Gate valve between them the "HX" (or whatever you were wanting to controll the flow though) would be on the loop between them, close the gate valve 100% flow slowly open it to by-pass it some.

Last edited:
Ok here's some noobish questions:

thanks

i would guess so, but there is one way to find out :rolleyes:

No most pumsp cant handle -40c, and neither can most acrylics. Time to get brass or copper top.

Will DD put a metal top on those blocks per request?

I dont like the idea of using anything plastic :p

Back