• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Linux Desktop Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
image.php

PS: System and setup is in my sig :D

|
|
\/

Last edited:
Ok, so the picture has to be on a website to use that. Do you know if I can use webshots for that? If not, I will give it a try.

Not really a screen shot but, yay, got MythTV working...

http://knightmare.kicks-***.net:8081/tv.jpg

I'm currently in the process of building a mythtv system. I'll post back and let you know how it goes. I'm building gentoo on the mythtv front end atm. I'm still waiting for some components to get here for the backend (eventually, the backend will double as a frontend in my room).

At the moment, the hardware looks like this:

Back end:
Athlon XP 2400+
Abit NF7-S2
512MB PC3200 DDR
2x160GB Hard drive (nowhere near kaltag's 2.4 terabytes lol)
4 MB S3 virge PCI SVGA card
Hauppauge PVR 500 (2 tuners, 2 mpeg-2 hardware encoders on one board)
350W Fortron PS
Cheapie big case

Front end:
Athlon XP 1500+
MSI Micro-ATX Motherboard
eVGA MX4000 video card with hardware MPEG-2 decoder
Sound Blaster Live! sound card
6 GB hard drive
NEC 3540A DVD Writer
512 MB PC3200 DDR
Micro-ATX black case with included 300W PS
ATI Remote Wonder II

I'm totally new to this, so I'm not sure how well this will work. We'll have to wait and see, I may need to upgrade some parts. The front end is nice enough looking, small, and quiet, so it won't bother me under the TV in my living room.

At the moment, I'm planning to stream over 100 mbps ethernet. If that won't cut it, I'll upgrade to gigabit ethernet.

MRD, Both setups you have there should work fine. I can get 2 clean streams over 100mb. Anything more and the pipe is saturated.

Thanks for the advice Kaltag.

BTW, any advice on how to get the hardware mpeg-2 decoder on the mx4000 video card to work? What do you have to do to get that going?

MRD said:
Thanks for the advice Kaltag.

BTW, any advice on how to get the hardware mpeg-2 decoder on the mx4000 video card to work? What do you have to do to get that going?
No problem. Just add "xv" and "xvmc" to your use flags when you build X and and the mplayer/xine libraries and mythtv. I'm a xine fan. Then you can specify the display driver to use for playback in xine to either xv or xvmc. I use xv and I get about 3-5% cpu usage watching a DVD on the athlon XP1800.

Been awhile, whats everyones gui looking like nowadays?
E17...
http://knightmare.kicks-***.net:8081/e17_3.png

Last edited:
Back