• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Official Overclockers.com Notebook Retailer List And Rating System -- Vote Now!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i have had a p1 toshiba, Great machince for the time, bad cd-rom drive desiegn. Just for the fun 8/10
dell latitude cpx (p3) screen went dead, dvd rom died ran hot cause the fan died line out jack broke off. for the price the laptop just didn't last, therfore long term preformance of dell flagship laptop product 6/10
When i picked out my latest laptop the choice was between mdg (mdg.ca) and dell. mdg operates through stores so i called two of them. The first one ran out of laptops then hung up on me, the second informed me that the laptop i was looking at need a 160 dollar battery and 70 dollar ethernet card bring the price way past dell meaning their advertisments lie. Even theough I have and will never own an mdg I give it a 0/10 cuase i know they suck that bad.
So far ordering from dell has been fine

To update this for my newest dell, the inspirion in my profile id give it a 7-10.
Battery life is good, about 4 hours. heats up a bit but the fan is rarely on. preformance in basic games such as medal of honour and rise of nations is fine, i have not tried anything newish. I also like some of the dell supplied software such as the software updater and wireless manager, however it also ships with aol software. The keyboard feels nice, not very cramped. The deseign is functional and plain. Finally i find this computer light and easy to carry.
My complaints are the screen, which has a terrible 1024x768(or something like that) for a 15.4 screen. The audio connectors are also poorly made. Dell does not ship with the system restore cd's anymore and instead all my critical files are stored on the hardrive which makes life more difficult to upgrade my harddrive. Then thier the whole 1-2 weeks for shipping thing.
Dell also messed up my order, I ordered a extra battery, they forgot it. I called them and after 5 departments and 2 + hours on the phone two extra batteries where shipped out, they also sent me two routers instead of the one i bought. I know i just got 200 bucks in free stuff but they still screwed up
In the end, compared to anything else this dell system was a good value with the extras like a backpack full of goodies.

Last edited:
My humble opinion is that Fujitsu-Siemens Computers should be added to the list. Maybe it's mostly European brand but I have had two laptops from them so far and they both truly owned. I bought my present laptop around year - year and a half ago. It was one of the first laptops with 3.06 p4, sxga, ati 9000 etc. I would give it 10* rating.

oh yeah i can still play hl2, nfsu2, gta5 and the like at pretty satisfying graph levels :p

dell 0 out of 10

I will tell you all why I have rate this way for dell. It is not because the laptop that I got was not bad. NO the laptop is about a 7 of 10. I will said that dell does make good laptops, but I a problem with dell itself. Everyone grab a bag of popcorn cuz here is my story.

I took out a student loan to buy a laptop (for my school work), a camera, a printer, a backpack for the laptop, some software for the pda/laptop and a pda (just for the heck of it). **Side note the only things that I bought from dell where the the laptop, backpack, software, and pda**

Well, I placed my order online. For the first two to three weeks everything was ok. Then one saturday while I was at work my mom called me to tell me that dell called and they had cancelled my order. So I called them and asked them what was wrong. Them told me that my Debit Card was decline and that I needed to call my bank. So I called my bank and asked them about and they told me that I had a 1000 dollar credit limit. Ok so I called dell back and told them this and they said ok. Well two weeks later I get another call from dell saying that they cancelled my pda, backpack, and software. When I called to question them about it they told me that my debit card was decline again. When I asked them how much they were puting on their in one day that it was over the 1000 dollar limit and I told them that that was their problem, and they said that they would run it again (500 that day 500 the next day). I said ok and that I would call them in two days to make sure that everything. Well, when I call they said that they cancelled the ENTIRE order. I said wtf to them and processed to tell them that they better get things straight and get my order to me ASAP. **This is where my mother gets involved** I told my mom everything that had happen, and she called dell. They first hold up on her and when she called back she told to everyone but the janitor there at dell. Well she finally got someone that she could understand and he told us that the order was cancelled and that I would have to re-order the entire order, but he told me and my mom that I would get my backpack and the software that I order for free, but this would not cover the three bounce check that I am about to have. The catch is that I would have to order it on my mom banks account. Ok that was not to bad, so i moved my money over there to her account. THE NEXT DAY, my bank account was hit for the following 2 pdas (700 for one, 500 for the other), 2 laptops (1000 for one and 1200 for the other), 2 softwares (60 each) and 2 backpacks (80 each). Well when mu mom and I both call from different phones that hold up on us both. Finally we got through and talked to someone with some senses and they refund me for one software and both of the backpack, but they said that they could not and would not refund me for the laptops and pdas. While me being a person who hates people that screw me over just like everyone else. I got online to get a company number. Well, I found one and I called them and my mom called them and the told use that it was there mistake and that they would refund me one laptop (1200) and pda (700) **Another side note - they where both the exact same** Well, I got my refund for the lap[top, but not the pda. This was in March. I have been fighting with them to give me my money back. I have had about 10 checks to bonuce, my bank was about to sue me and put me into jail, and they have not give me my money back. According to dell I should have my money back today. **I will keep you updated**

I am overall happy with my laptop and pda ( I wish that they could do a little more ) but when you go through what I went through I how could you not score someone that way???

^^^^wow^^^^^ that sounds like crap we currently own a dell, but we never call dell support generally because we don't have any problems with the computer.

I got a toshiba laptop and i would give it a 9 out of 10 has not failed me yet.

that is a very crappy experience - but one thing - it is not dell's faalt you have a $1000 limit on your debit card -was this a daily limit or weekly? (sorry if i miss-read)

but yes - i DO fully understand the getting money back part - i have had to wait almsot 2 months for some palces to do anything, and that is even with daily phone calls and emails to them - since my bank wont revese a charge without the company calling them :(

that is daily charge, but i told them every time i call after i found out that i have a limit

ps i finally got my money friday

OK, another Dell vote. 2/10.

Background info: About a year ago, I ran an old IBM Thinkpad 560x. It was a P233MMX, originally built for Japan (Kana AND English on the keyboard! Really l33t-looking.), and found by me on eBay for $100, no OS. It ran, but it was on it's last legs and held together with duct tape. My parents were worried about me losing all my schoolwork and not being able to write papers etc. if it died. So my dad decided to get me a new laptop. One caveat: It had to be a Dell, because his employer has a deal with them, and we would get a $200 discount. Anyway, I got an Inspiron 600m.

It ran, mostly. After I cleaned out all the junk that OEMs like to smear all over their systems (For the last time, I DON'T want a free trial of AOHell!!), I got down to using it. It was a different typing experience than my old Thinkpad. The keys were bigger, but they felt insubstantial and mushy. Then I tried actually putting a load on the system.

Here's where I found some problems. The fan on mine was in a corner (right under the "`" key, above tab). There was a hole in the bottome for sucking air in, and a hole at the back for blowing it out. In between was the fan and fins on heatpipes. The fan had a nasty tendency to suck air in from the intake, and then blow about a third of it back out the edge of the same hole. I fixed that by jamming some index card inside the thing, next to the offending part of the vent. And it did indeed increase airflow over the fins.

Another problem then came up. The chipset and the GPU (An R9000) are cooled by the same heatpipe. The GPU chip and RAM were in one compact square. (it looked like the GPU was cross-shaped with four RAM chips in the corners). Anyway, the about a fourth of the square had no contact with the heatpipe. I could tell it was overheating, too. I got artifacts even in relatively low-stress games. (think "Age of Empires 2") So I had to break a copper fin off of an old desktop heatsink, and glue it to the heatpipe with ASA to get full contact and stop the artifacting.

I didn't particularly like having to mod the system just to make it work, but it did now, and for a time, all was good. Then, one day, I tried to use the floppy drive that came with it. It couldn't read anything. I tried a bunch of disks, nothing. Then one disk just wouldn't eject. I wiggled it out with needlenose pliers and through it away. Thinking it was a bum disk, I tried another. The drive ate that one too. By now, IIRC, windosws couldn't even see the disk drive. Toast.

Then we have the A/C adapter. There's a little LED on it that glows green when the adapter is plugged in and capable of supplying juice. One day I plugged it in. No light. I jiggled it a bit, and the light came on. I thought it was a fluge, maybe I hdn't plugged it in tight enough, or something like that. Anyway. over the weeks, this became a very frequent occurence. To make it more time consuming, the adapter would often decide to light up for a split second (bringing the LED to full brightness), and then die, which I wouldn't know for another five seconds as the LED faded. One day, it just stopped lighting up at all. I had had a similar problem on another laptop. There, one of the wires was looslely connected, and reseating it with a bit of help from a soldering iron solved the problem. So, since it was dead now anyway, I broke open the PA12 adapter. Nothing loose that I could see. Anyway, after a few electrical shoks, I got it running again. Then, a few days later, it died for good.

Did it run? Yes. But I went through a whole lot to make it run and keep it running. I would count it out on cooling problems alone. My mom's owned two Dell desktops, both have run into severe problems due to overheating, and my laptop was no different. This was the last straw: I'm never buying anything from Dell again. Ever.

Oh, BTW: That IBM Thinkpad 560x it still going strong. The batteries are shot and the headphone jack dosen't hold a plug well because it's chipped, but it's showing no signs of dying. They don't make 'em like that anymore...

with my dell experiences - even being in Central America has been a 8/10

out 2 dell dekstops / 1 dell poweredge sever and 2 dell laptops

all work flawless - only bad thing we had was a bad DVD drive and it was replaced in 2 days.

igive an 8 because their upgrades are over priced. - they wanted $500 US for 1ghz PIII slot 1 CPU - i thought the "upgrade package" as they called it included 2, and never did they state it was onle 1 CPU - so this is why only an 8.

Toshiba: 1/10, my model had overheating issues and toshiba's fix was a bios update that slowed the cpu down up to half its speed and denied that it was a problem. Almosted had issue fixed using advice from forums made specifically for this issue, but then it got stolen. My friends new toshiba (2004) also overheated and died, so they get my 1. Do no have to count since my toshiba was bought second hand and if this is for first had opinions only, but if second hand opinions count, then include it. Both of these laptops were entry level satelites.

Apple: 9.5/10 Just got a new 1.2GHz g4 iBook. Mixed feelings, but the design is great, ram and wifi card slot are actually easy to get to when you read the manual, right under the keyboard. Comes with some OS X, and some decent software although some of it is trial. Haven't had to deal with support yet, but from ipod experiences when I almost rma'd it, pretty straightforward. Only downside to what is included is it doesn't come with tv-out adapter which probably costs thems pennies to make since its just a phyiscal adapter as the video card supports tv out and they have their proprietary port. Packing and presentation top notch. Major downsides are price and slow hardware, but you are paying for the design, easy of use and reliability and ability to use OS-X. Their airport extreme also doesn't play nicely with some routers, but software update helped and that required just pressing a button, which updated everything I needed to current updates. 9.5/10 for not including tv-out adapter, and the airport extreme not being 100% wifi compatible with all wifi certified routers, I have unplug my netgear sometimes to connect. Have not OC'd, but the models before mine have OC'd fine according to mac forums.

Still mixed about apple as being a computer for me, but it's more a mobile device than a portable computer if that makes sence. Mixed feeling are personal just because I never really used an apple since my powerPC, product seems great and is just as expected. I have my desktop for computer use.

I currently own an Asus M6N and I'd have to give them a 9 out of 10. I've owned the laptop for a little more than a year and had no problems whatsoever. I like the fact that I can format and reinstall Windows on my laptop without having to worry about destroying a crucial backup partition which leads to my next rating...

I'll give Compaq 3 out of 10. The first laptop I owned had a 233MHz Penium MMX cpu. I only owned it for a week though since the battery refused to fully charge. The second laptop I owned was also a Compaq (yeah I know I should've learned the first time around...) with a Pentium III 500MHz cpu. I learned the hard way not to format the hard drive completely since it also erases the recovery partition. That made the recovery cds that came with the laptop useless. To Compaq's credit, I did call them and ask for another recovery cd set which did work upon arrival.

ok I have to vote again since I've had my new 9300 for awhile and i will give it an official score of 9/10. The only problem I had was a screen with a few dead pixels and dell is shipping a new screen to me to replace. I've been on tech support 3 times and each time I got an english speaking tech 3 times in a row and they got my call within 2 miniuets every time!!!! which is completelly unheard of.

I am kind of disappointed that I fell short by about 450 3d 05 marks of my goal of 5000 but i still have one mod up my sleeve.

I've sucuessfully pinmodded my processor to 2.26ghz and programs like centrino hardware control and i9kfangui really make this laptop shine. Temperatures (after cpu and gpu overclocking and application of as5) are about 51 cpu and 53 gpu which is completelly livable since I'm not overclocked all the time.
power consumption is a little higher than my 8600 but that is to be expected with the larger screen. giving me 3-3.5 hours compared to the my old 8600 which could do 3.75-4.25 hours.

I have plans to mod a backlight in for my keyboard using one of the usb terminals (i might as well use em cause there's no way I'm gonna be able to need 6 usb ports at one time.

I purchased 2 gigs of DDR2 ram from newegg and mem tested them 5 passes with no errors. now I have a 1gb virtual ram drive and I tossed my paging file on it which made things quickin up quite a bit. the only downside is when I manage to use up all 2 gigs of ram and the computer has a heart attack and dies (oh well I don't use 2 gigs all that often and I can easily fix the problem by sticking the page file back on the harddrive).

having a subwoofer built into the bottom of the laptop is a nice touch and definatelly improves the sound quality over other laptops with songs with big bass.

overall this laptop is a beast the performs good and looks good too. there's lot's of room for modifications and I even have a plan in the works to make an xps2 lighting system which dosen't exist on the 9300 using the solder points on the mainboard.

PS I should have the scores updated sometime sunday since it's been like a month since they've been updated.

Hi. My Name Is Pavlos And Im From Greece.

Im Intersting To OverClock All My NoteBooks.

I Have 3 Models And They Are Very Slow.

1. FUJITSU-SIEMENS E4010 (CENTRINO 1,4Ghz) (RATE 10-10)

2. TOSHIBA SATELLITE SA50-543 (CENTRINO 1,5Ghz) (RATE 5-10)

3. HP ZV5374EA (P4 3,2Ghz) (RATE 8-10)

DELL (RATE 10-10)

Which Programms Should I Use To?

:)

updated...

wow there was some brutal scores given there dropping the averages for the 4 heavy hitters dell, Ibm, toshiba, and HP.

Gateway 9 outa 10 - they replied to me even if they couldn't help.
HP/Compaq 5 out of 10 - their customer support has been lacking lately... plus their products have been slipping :(
IBM 10 of 10 -customer support & products are first rate :)
Dell - I had an OLD Dell CPI. That thing took a licking & kept on ticking. 10/10.

Sager 10/10 My NP3880 has been awesome, and also very overclockable if I wish.

Toshiba 9/10 It held together nicely, although ran too slow for me.

Dell 6/10 Ran very buggy and slow for me, wasn't too durable either. The tech support also now all lives in India and can't really speak English well.

UPDATED...

Ya know I would update this thing more often if I ever got more than 8 votes.... but somehow it seems people stop voting if I don't keep updating... it's kind of weird but oh well...

I have added The Standard Deviation of the scores to the list just because I was Bored with people not voting and I wanted an excuse to update :D

IBM has a score of 8.86, and Sager has a score of 9.0, but you give IBM a higher score, in the bold print.

(Not that I'm complaining, I like my IBMs!)

Are you weighting the amount of scores?

(And yes, I didn't give IBM a 10, since they have limited gaming capabilities.)

steve

Back