• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Official Overclockers.com Notebook Retailer List And Rating System -- Vote Now!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
One of my complains about some of the 10 givens here is that eventhough there are some problems with the laptop, the user gives it a 10 because they believe the other features make up for the problem, I don't agree with this otherwise I would give my compaq a 10 aswell, I mean if there is something you dislike that means the laptop doesn't deserve a perfect 10.

That is reputation not score... Just because one person gave a score of 10 dosen't mean that the rest of the world also would give a 10... the more votes there are will reinforce the likelyhood that the given score is correct...

I'm working on a formula to figure a precise way to calculate a reputation value based upon score, votes, and standard dev... It's no easy going... every time I come up with a good reputation value there is always a situation where the formula has a divide by zero and thus gets infinite rep and other such nonsense... I've tried vectors and trig to come up with a good way of doing it but nothing seems to work so I just guestimate based upon what it should be... ibm has 11 votes which makes it's score count more. if there was just a few more votes for sager then I might switch em because sager has a lower standard deviation... I'm also working on a way to have standard deviation effect the score because if you have a high score 9.0 and a high standard deviation 2.5 and the highest score you can get is 10 which means you will have an extera 1.5 on top which can't be added which means the laptop is gennerally exceptional except when you have a problem and then your experience is VERY VERY BAD... I just like to try and figue stuff out like that when I'm bored but lately I've been too buisy to be bored...

Ozzlo, you ever thought about politics? You seem to have a knack for it! :D

Yes, I'm joking!

Thanks for "clearing" that up. :D

steve

I've had 2 Averatecs (not on the line up, probably for a good reason). They both sucked. The first one went ba and due to budget, I got another one. Took it back within 1 week. Overheated so bad, the screen would turn red. 6/10 for the 1st one, it lasted through an 8 month "trip" to Iraq, the second one gets a 4, the only good thing about that one was you could watch a dvd without booting into Windows. I had an HP for 4 years, worked great, and never had any issues what so ever, 10/10. Now have a Gateway/EMachine. It is pretty good, sometimes the AMD64 3200+ seems sluggish with the 764 megs of ram, and the touchpad is flakey. 7.5/10

Sony 9/10
Top of the line screens. Good second hand value. Over priced though, but the product is extremely good and strong. But the battery life suffers due to their wonderful screens.

Samsung 9/10
Support sucks. The laptops are extremely well engineered. Very limited noise. Over priced though. Most have finger print scanners. Good expansion and the 2.1 speakers are greats. Battery life beats most on the market. 6hours 15mins new on mine.

Tiny 1/10
Not listed I know. I have had experience with one. Cheap and tacky. They have gone bust again aswell.

updated...

AND compaq gets it's first 10 so far... which would have raised it's rating haden't a 4 been given the the post just above

I Have good news...

I just saved a bunch of money on my Accadential damage warrantee... LOL JUST JOKING (sike)

Actually this database has just broken 100 votes way to go everybody who voted and lets keep it going to 200

acer 10/10 great battery life 5+ hours :-D and a great screen and very good software to control every thing from the cpu speed to the lcd brightness

2 Acer's here 10/10 on them -- runs very smoothly I'm even folding with it and doing regular work at the same time no slowdowns and turning in good scores too. Its the Aspire 3003 with the 3GHz. Mobile Sempron. Wasn't too sure about it when I bought it but I gotta say those 15.4 wide screen crystal bright monitors are worth every penny. Battery life is crap with the standard 4 cell battery but I have 2 8 cell replacements on the way for 80 a piece.

Dell - 6/10 worked great for about 6 months then slowly went to crap.

Compaq - 7/10 Old presario -- bullet proof but slow

IBM - 9/10 - Ran great abused the heck out of it and no problems.

Last edited:
TidyBowl- 3 GHz mobile Sempron?

I have only used one laptop. It was a Dell. Absolutely no problems with the laptop itself, very nice. (10/10)

Alienware -9/10

I recently configured and ordered an alienware area51 7700m to replace my beloved emachines m6805. I'll start from the beggining an dlet you all draw your own conclusions....

I saw an ad they had in maximum PC that mentioned a $400 discount on all laptops for mentioning that ad (august issue I think), so I went to the website but couldnt find any info on the promotion...but I configured the laptop the way I wanted it and gave their sales department a call. The guy I dealt with was very curteous and even helpful(!), and he said he would check with his manager and see if I was eligible for the discount....I had to send him an email formally asking for the discount and describing where I'd heard about it...blah blah blah. After that was all taken care of, he said I would recieve a mail-in rebate form for it, as wellas a form for a mail-in rebate for shipping costs. All was good, I recieved regular emails updating me on the status of my order and the production phase my laptop was currently in. unfortunately, I ran into a problem with the internal tv tuner card I had selected, it was just after the hurricaine that I placed my order, and Alienware is based in FL, so they had a few problems with some of their inventory, they called and emailed me and asked what I would like ot do, I said I'd like to wait for the tuner card to get back in stock and then they could ship it....apparently there was some confusion, because they refunded the money for tuner card and shipped the laptop without it. I got my laptop and searched for the rebate forms...but they werent there....so I called them, and got to talk to the same guy (he gave me his extension number) and asked how I got the rebate...he directed me to the online PDF form for the shipping rebate, but then proceeded to tell me that he had "instantly applied" the $400 discount. Well, I asked to talk to his supervisor, who gave me the same story, and apologised for the confusion..but I'm still out $400. I have since purchases the internal tv tuner card, and there are actually directions on their website on how to remove the Keyboard and install it, none of which voids my warranty...which I thought was pretty cool. aside from the laptop being more expensive than I planned, everything went well, the tech support people are good, the online knowledge base and personalised support areas are great. When calling them on the phone, they try to keep you on hold as little as possible, and if its longer than they estimate, they actually check back in with you and make sure you're still there...they have even called me back at a later time when they needed to research some information. after all is said and done, Im happy with my purchase, and the laptop is the mercedes benz of portable computing.

Well, I just built-up my first IBM T23.

I'm even more impressed! Still doesn't Overclock! :bang head But it is a 1.13 GHz, with a capability to go to 1.2. Has all of the great features of my T20-22 stuff, and a lot of the parts will fit as well. I found a 60 GB 7200 RPM HDD, and a 80/5400 so I'll have plenty of storage room. Now, I need to find the adapter to put a HDD in the optical/floppy drive bay. Ebay has them every so often, for $40 or so.

That 7200 RPM drive really increased the way this feels. You'd be surprised just how much a slow drive slows you down.

Oh, can I say 10/10 again?

steve

Toshiba Satellite M20. Paid about $1200, can't remember too well. 1.3GHZ Pentium M, 512mb of DDR, and Intel Extreme Graphics 64mb. Its 3 years old, boots kindof slow, and battery life is only 1 hour and 58 minutes. Solid though. One time i had it running, closed the lid, had it still running, and dropped it. Picked it back up, worked as if nothing happened. Same thing when i tripped over the power cord, and had it fall 3 feet down to the floor. Still kept on running!

2nd edit: I'd rate it 7 out of ten.

I just built an asus a6u.
freakin barebones notebook!
9 out of 10 simply beacause its the only amd model and has sis graffics.

UPDATED...

wow acer is doing most impressivelly.... I had an acer desktop system and it totally sucked... looks like acer got their act together... in other news IBM has once again PULLED AWAY from the competition and increased it's lead over dell... because acer has such a low stdev i'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and stick them up with IBM for best reputation this time around...

I'm working for a place which recieved 65 hp NC6120 laptops. I needed to setup one as a master computer and use a cloning machine to clone the HDD's and make all of them the same.

I would rate them 8.5/10's. They felt pretty well built (same as dells I've worked with) and none of them had any problems with pixels, batteries not working, drive errors or little nit picky things. The only complaint would be that the covers on a few ('d say 10%) were scratched but I'm not sure if this was done by CDW or at HP. The laptops were 1.6 P-M's 1 512 dimm, 40 or 60gb HDD's (half had 40's half had 60's) Battery life was impressive right out of the box, I never tested one full charged, but I would have to put in the cloned HDD and let it boot up and go through Sysprep and change the computer name and such, and one time I forgot about one and left it on for 3 hours and was still able to come back to it and do 30 minutes of stuff on it and shut it down and it never ran outa juice.

Overall I was impressed with these HP's over any dells I've used (600m's, 9000's and 9100's are the only newer ones I've used)

had 2 Dells so far and they both served me well :

1- DELL c840 Latitude , 1.7 , 2 GB 333 Mhz , 64 MB Nividia g0 440 Score : 10/10

2- DELL Inspiron XPS GEN2 , 2.13 , 2 GB 633 Mhz , 256 6800 Ultra

scrore : 10/10

cheers

Back