• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Official Overclockers.com Notebook Retailer List And Rating System -- Vote Now!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I too have seen overloaded operating systems on pre-configured computers, even my IBMs.

Luckily, doing a clean install on a Thinkpad is quite easy, and all of the drivers are easy to find.

What really gets me, is doing a clean install, and not being able to find the drivers, to get the rig running. Then, you HAVE to use the crappy install OS discs.

steve

UPDATED... It's been awhile since I updated but it's finally summer so woot...

@Soichiro- I Updated your score for ya...

Updated...

Sorry bout my not so quick update this time guys... I had a very buisy summer and I have just moved.

Please Please Feel free to keep adding your scores... I will always get them updated er... um eventually. Actually now that fall is setting in I should be back to my once a month schedule.

And no as far as I know there's no way to pinmod a macbook pro. though I have some theories, I've yet to get my hands on a core duo notebook and it seems that I probably won't ever cause I'm too poor to afford a new compy.

Dell 9 out of 10 for multiple good systems including the one in the signature below.
Toshiba 8 out of 10 for my old P25.
Gateway 8 out of 10 for my MX7118 a good solid work machine.

Here's my dealings with lappys:

HP: 8/10 (older omnibook 6100, used)
Toshiba 7.5/10 (dad's work notebook)
Gateway 3/10 (bro/sis HAD to get the cheapest notebooks...:mad: )

And my current Lenovo T60 gets a :drool: /10
Lenovo(IBM) 10/10

The core duo rocks my socks, even with the lesser x1300 gpu its okay w/games released this year. Great cpu/gpu power, perfect screen, dvd-rw, slim jet-black case (that doesn't flex), and my favorite - mouse 'stick' thingy with replacable tips! Also got a 3yr warranty for free, so I'm set.

hmmm.... what score should I use to represent :drool: lol...

I just got a IBM x60, my girlfriend has a R32, my dad has a T42, my cousin has a T42 and my sister has an older R series. They are all running like champs except for my cousins because he had to get a new battery due to the samsung battery fiasco (a guy in the airport had his start on fire! and it left a burn mark on the floor where he dropped it). But his computer now has the new battery for free of course and is running again. I live in Rochester MN where the AS/400 was first built (my dad was on the project) so maybe I am a bit biased but for the build quality it is perfect. My laptop has holes in the bottom so that if I spill something on the keyboard it just drips out the bottom instead of killing the computer. The computer has Active Protection so if the laptop tips rapidly (like being pushed off of a table) or gets shook the harddrive head gets parked to prevent data loss. I get 9 hours of battery life on my 3.3 lb laptop which is what portability is all about. Nevermind the IBM (now Lenovo of course) customer service is legendary. All this adds up to a score of...

IBM = 10/10

I have dealt with compaq 7/10, dell 8/10, and acer 7/10 as well but they just don't have that feel.

I see a lot of 10/10's on here just because "it is still going." Give some examples or reasons of why it deserves a PERFECT!

For the record in respect to the whole Lenovo/IBM thing, I think there needs to be a difference between the Thinkpad and the 3000 series from Lenovo. I would say if it says IBM it is IBM in spirit because the same people are designing it but the 3000 series actually leaves something to be desired in my opinion because the build quality is completely different.

Last edited:
My turn :p

IBM: 7.5/10

Am I crazy? Probably. T40 has had: graphics issues (when hooked up to two monitors the laptop monitor gets all fuzzy), wireless issues (doesn't work). Previous T30 just didn't work out of the box :(

But it's a damned workhorse.. even a 1.6ghz Pentium M can do some serious stuff. It can play HL2 a med settings and still get around 45fps, all on a Radeon 9000. I'm moderately satisfied with it.

Lucky my dad works for IBM.

Asus: 9.5/10 Considering how much I abuse this laptop and the only problem has been that the rubber feets fell off and I'm thinking about how best to glue them back on.

Also Ozzlo could you please show how skewed the distributions are? Because standard deviation is wonderful if they are symmetrical (ie bell curve or the likes) but if its skewed then its not so good. Since I believe all of them to be skewed.

It's been so long since I had Math 241 and it will probably show lol.

Well, woulden't a high score with a high standard deviation mean that most of the scores are just above the average but with a number of scores way below the average. Ill look into this further next time but I don't think the graph would skew in the opposite direction easily for 8+ scores.

"A large standard deviation indicates that the data points are far from the mean and a small standard deviation indicates that they are clustered closely around the mean." (from wikipedia) however that does not say in which direction they are and if a company gets 10,10,10,4,10,10,10 then mean and standard deviation would be rather useless no? So I don't know how best to represent this but maybe a bargraph for each company with the number of scores for each rating? Or start removing obvious outliers?

yeah but that would remove the random bad experiences people have. I mean every so often a dud does get shipped out to somebody and they call tech support and the end up with a person who diden't want to come to work that day.

those scores might be outside the norm but if I remove them then that will affect the overall notion of quality. I mean if somebody says that the laptop is absolutely perfect and gives a score of 3, that's one thing but otherwise I'm not in the mood in partaking in common statistical practice of modifying the data. ;)

I will see about maybe generating some curves but I think just the notition that a higher standard deviation Implies the occurance of random bad experiences is good enough.

But isn't the overall point of this thread to show an overall trend of quality and this would exclude duds by definition? Because one such dud would be rare but could have a significant impact on the data. Hence why I recommend removing them. However even if you keep them you would need a more graphical way of representing the data.

In my opinion the data is not bad unless somebody says it was the best, most perfect laptop they ever had and then preceeded to give it a 4.
that's the ONLY BAD DATA, and nobodies done that...

being able to show that the vendors do screw up every now and then is showing the overall trend of quality.
I definately take into account my odds of purchasing a dud when I'm shopping for laptops...

I'm not going to modify the data, that would make this poll even more based just upon opinion than experience which is what some other members earlier on were worried about.
Originally Posted by 9mmCensor
The quantitative listing of manufactures for laptops like this is flawed because peoples needs and expectations are taken into account for their numeric assesment of the gear.

This thread has been an experiment from the beginning. I do enjoy the feedback I've been given, I've gotten many Ideas for Improvement from various feedback. I will work on a clearer defenition of the standard deviation and try to show how the curves are skewed (even though they are all skewed about the same way) the next time I update which will be whenever I get 4 or 5 more votes.

Last edited:
Just picked up HP dv9225 with AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60 2 GHz and 2GB DDR2
also has a geforce Go7600 256 card. 17".
My first laptop for travel.
just a day now and love it.
I didn't think I would like Vista 64bit Ultimate edition but it's OK if you have the memory to feed it.

Back