• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Official Q9450/X3350 Overclocking Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice, i can't seem to get above 3.7ghz, because my Core 1 alwayas fails. It sad, i can boot at 4.0ghz without crazy voltages, (less than 1.3625 (intel's max spec)), but core 1 always fails.

Will do. I won't really trust anything until it passes at least 24 hours of stress testing. memtest too, but I find prime95's blend test finds some errors memtest doesn't, or possibly just takes longer to find. I doubt I'll ever *need* clocks this high if 3.8 turns out to be solid. I'm leaving for 10 days so I'll leave it on some test for that whole time.

Update the bios to v706. CoreTemp says idle temps at stock were mid forties with core#0 running 6-7 over the coolest. Reseated the HS with no change. I have made it to 3.2ghz with vcore at 1.25v/GTL .63%/PCIe 100/others on Auto. Currently running prime small FTTs. Load temps core#0 runs 65-6 others 59-60. I willing admit I feel like babe in the woods with the ASUS bios.

Update: Passed 2 hours Prime without a problem so bumped the FSB to 425 the remainder of the settings stayed the same. I think 3.2 is like like the 'free' 3.0 ghz OC on a Q6600 GO. Vdrop/vdroop is very good on this board compared to my DS3L. Vcore at load is 1.232v from 1.25v bios. Back in Prime with no problems so far. Overall temps increased 1-2 degrees. I am wondering how accurate CoreTemp is as Real Temp on my Q6600 is 5-6 degrees cooler than reported by CoreTemp.

Update 2: Set the vcore to 1.3 bios/1.288 load for 3.6ghz. Primed for 1 hr and passed all cores but hung on shut down. The build is for a webdesign workstation for someone else so I backed it down to 3.2ghz and prior settings and letting it run prime for 24 hours before releasing it.

Last edited:
Mine's currently doing 450x8 with 1.31v, but I just chose that voltage based on judgement. Running great though and surprisingly cool. 29c idle / 44c load. VID is 1.2115v.

3Dmark06 score of 15774 with a 4870 at stock speeds (haven't tweaked it yet).

Right now, I have my Q9450 OCed to 3.0Ghz on an ASUS P5E3 Premium mobo, but I really think the temps are too high. Using Real Temp, my temps are as follows:

Idle: 33, 40, 42, 42
Load: 51, 56, 56, 57

I'm using a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, lapped and I'm even using the 'Penny Mod' where you place a penny between the bracket and heatsink base in order create greater contact with the CPU. There's also a 120mm fan attacted to the heatsink. Why the high temps? I've seen people with the same heatsink and at higher clock speeds with lower temps. I'm I doing something wrong or am I bothering myself for nothing?

Last edited:
I remember trying different GTL settings but in the 780i, but can't remember which I used. I think each chip needs it's own setting for this for best effect.

Q9450 / SLAWR / C1
Gigabyte ud3r
4gb g.skill pc8500
thermalright xp120 (true on order)

Max run:
4.0ghz @ 1.4125v (1.39-1.40 idle 1.38-1.39 load w/ load line calibration on (it helped))
500x8
DDR2-1000 Dram @ 2.1v
prime 95 stable 20+ minutes then backed it down 40-45c idle / 69-70c load (neeed TRUE)

got to 4.1 @ 1.425 but didnt want to take it any higher.

Current 24/7 clock:
3.8ghz vcore 1.35 (1.33 load)
40-45c idle / 64c load

Last edited:
I have a Q9450 parked in a XFX 790i Ultra mobo. It is cooled by a Zalman CNS7900 fan (not the best, I know). The case is fairly cool, considering the room temp is probably 25 degrees (summer in New Zealand) and it accomodates a GTX850 3-way SLI (running at shock). I also have a whopping great 1500W PSU. I'm running 2x2Gb OCZ DRR3 1333 Gold at stock volts (1.7v) at 9-9-9-26 linked, so running at 1450Mhz.

I've been meaning to OC the CPU for a while, so I upped it to 2.8GHz with no problems. After running it at 2.8Ghz, no voltage changes, I upped it to 2.9Ghz, again with no problems.

A couple of times now I'm go to start the machine and it has failed to post, going into a safe post mode. Adjust the setting back to 2.8 and it boots up fine. If I shutdown, enter the bios and change it to 2.9Ghz, on this second boot it works fine.

I'm not sure why it is doing this. It seems to bee a cold start issue (!!??), which is odd. This also makes it difficult to test (as it seems to only occur when switch on for the first time in the morning).

The core temps according to realtemp are low to mid 40s at idle and low to mid 50s under load. Accounting for the high ambient room temp and air cooling, this not too bad, I think. so I'd rule out cpu temp.

Should I up the voltage a little? I've read that 3Ghz without voltage adjustments is not unheard off with Q9450s.

Also, what is the deal with lowering the voltage? Whilst I understand this will lower the core temp, i always thought that you increase the voltage when overclocking.

Back