• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the "perfect" intel o/c'ers motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LuckMan212

I was thinking about what my ideal motherboard would be/wouldn't be and since I've been toying with so many of them lately and none were exactly right I thought I'd put this list together. What do you guys think am I missing anything or do you agree/disagree? I was thinking if we get a bunch of peeps together maybe I could email abit or asus and they'd listen.

my dream board:
--------------------------
i875 chipset
ICH5R southbridge
up to 3.25vdimm volts adjustable in 0.05v steps (no mod required)
stable up to and over 300fsb
good working AGP/PCI lock at 33/66 even at high FSBs
gigabit CSA LAN
NO built in Audio
1394 built in (Ti controller, not VIA please)
USB 2.0 (duh)
6-phase power with big beefy caps + coils! (take a hint from Gigabyte)
lots of fan headers, can never have enough of these (at least 4)
do not put caps near the edge of the PCI slots that will get in the way of certain PCI cards
enough space around CPU + Northy socket for mounting big heatsinks / waterblocks
allow 3rd party SMbus monitoring software (no crappy "uGuru" please)
thoughtful placement of connectors:
--ATX + 12V conns close together and near to edge of mobo as possible
--IDE conns face parallel not perpendicular (like on AI7) to keep cables neat
--AGP slot should allow RAM to be swapped without removing vid card
No extra "cool" proprietary/useless connectors like:
--Asus WiFi slot
--funny FPIO connectors
--weird comm slots that take add ons and cards that nobody will ever buy/use
"Fail-proof" BIOS without having to reset CMOS every 5 mins. (bios-savior like feature)
cool color (red/black/purple) and rounded corners on PCB

anything else I forgot???

LOL... yeah well 'dare to dream' right?? I just dont see how hard it is to design a great mobo. I sat down for 10 mins and came up with it.

anyone can say they want these features, its a matter of implimentation. You should try to acctually design the board, not just say you want things. If you were to hand over a completed schematic I'm sure one of the mobo makers would love to produce your board.

Barly any of the 875 chipsets run up to 300MHz anymore.

6 Phase power?!?! are you insane? The highest I have seen on any gigabyte board was only 3 phase power.

yeah I know what you are saying... but I am not an EE otherwise I would design my own board. Those guys are and they do it for a living -- it's just that I think they get it wrong when it comes to choosing what features to put on their high end/OC boards.

I am not saying there arent some great boards out there but we are talking the 'perfect' board so of course everyone's opinion will differ slightly. This is just mine.

as for no 875s running to 300 I think that is more due to the design of the boards since after looking at sites like hiPro's Abit mod site where he adds caps here and there, cuts traces and changes resistor configs all in the sake of stability + higher OCs-- it seems it can be done it might just require more components. I guess most mobo makers figure out how to make their boards work with the least amount of components to make them cheaper but not necessarily more robust.

6 Phase power?!?! are you insane? The highest I have seen on any gigabyte board was only 3 phase power

the GA-8KNXP has a 6-phase power design (DPS2) that looks really nice esp. when running PressHots. LINK

$350 aint bad when you factor in the Dual Ultra320 scsi... but again here we have a case of "why in the world did they put that onboard"?? This board could be sold for $200 if they pulled that feature out and then you would have a great solid board for a bit more than the rest but you would save the $$ and frustration of having to buy multiple boards just to find one thats nice and stable for OCing

the same card is made without the scsi, actually, the same mobo is made in what? 4 diff versions ?

Mine has a problem with PAT and Corsair XMS ram, im trying to get resolved.. oh well...
B!

Give me 875p performance, STABILITY, good cooling on the nb (stupid early ic7 and is7 fan), vdim uses 5v line and allows up to 4v in bios even though 3.7v is the most I would probably need, sata controller that has no problem at fsb's over 300 aka agp/pci lock doesn't crap out after 300 fsb, vcore up to 1.9v, vdd up to 2.2v, good boot times, and randomly comes with a check made out to me for $10,000,000...I would like a mobo like that....

lots of gigabyte boards now have 6 phase power, not just the 875 one
the sis 655 one does as well
gigabyte likes their dual power setup, and i like it too :D

Yeah, I will do that. I want a 939 nforce 250 that doesn't limit my oc'ing in any way shape or form, has fantastic performance, and it has to cost under $100. Now that I have my perfectly reasonable mobo, which company should I have manufacture this for me? I think I might go with Aopen, I like their last round of a64 mobos, and I think they would be more than willing to build this for me :D

Back