• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The process cannot access the file because it is being used by...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Goatz

Registered
Hi Forums,

I am getting this error all the time with Windows 7. I open a text file I want to
edit, then go to save my changes and I get this error:

"The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process".
EL0ef.png

I have full admin rights, running Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1. From a bit of research I have seen where many others have been experiencing this problem or something similar too. The only "fix" (that doesn't work all the time) is to close explorer.exe and then restart it to "release the handle"? Anyway, this is not acceptable for to money and time I spent upgrading/configuring this new OS from XP where I never had this problem and seriously cuts down my productivity.

Is there a fix for this? Has Microsoft even acknowledged this as a bug yet? I can duplicate this scenario the second or third time I try to edit/save/delete a text file and I know that explorer.exe is the problem or a big part of it in any case. I don't want to go back to XP x64 but having to deal with this headache 10-20 times a day is just too much to ask.

Thanks!

Are you sure another process/program isn't using the file you are trying to edit?

I see it's a text file with code, so I'm assuming a program accesses it to run the code. So, if that program is using that file in any way, you can't edit and save it.

The only time I've ever had this issue is when I'm trying to edit a program's config file, but I forgot the program was still running. I just had to make sure the program and its processes were closed before I could edit and save.

Hi..Nope nothing else is running the file. No apps running in taskmngr either. The script has to be saved to a .pk3 and then loaded into the program's root before it can run. I've worked 1000's of hours editing code like this on XP and had no probs. I'm at a loss here man..

Hi.. thanks. I installed Unlocker, ran it, right clicked the file (that's locked again) but no option to unlock ..tried "take ownership" too:

vdB3s.png

I have full admin permissions too :eh?:

EBmwr.png

Save the changes to another file and bounce the system. I'm not sure how to check open files in Windows beyond that. I'd just use "lsof" in Linux and kill the offending process.

EDIT: I deleted your duplicate post that was below mine.

Hmm.. ok. This is a bunch 'o crap. Only reason I switched to 7 was for the DX11 support. How could MS leave their poster child with such a glaring flaw? I'd switch to Linux but I admin for some game server hosts and need the compatibility.

**Sry bout the dbl-post ..Internet dropped and hit reply a couple times.

No worries about the double post, it happens. I agree that they could handle this a lot better, but I'm pretty sure it is low on their list. Just like network drives not connecting at startup and a few others!

When was the last time you rebooted your computer? Do you have the same issue at stock clocks? I've had file permission problems on occasion, but a reboot always clears it up. :shrug:

:EDIT: I see that you have Notepad++ installed. Do you have the same issue with Notepad++ that you do with Notepad?

I reboot a lot, but the problem reoccurs after 1 or 2 saves. Same thing happens with notepad++

Found this in MS forums: http://tinyurl.com/6q3c6a7

Seems to be an issue long standing and a bug inherent with Windows 7.

Last edited:
Can you bring up the advanced page under the rights tab you displayed above, and show us the "effective" permissions listing for one of these files?

I would also check ownership of the files under those advanced options.

You forgot to click on the effective permissions tab on that screen. Other than that, you are pretty much where I wanted you to be.

While you are at it, I'd also like to see the owner tab on that page.

I may not be any help really, as if there isn't anything funny on either of those tabs, I'm not sure what to do next. Hopefully I see something that doesn't look right on those tabs, then we can fix it.

For the effective permission tab, I think you have to select your username.

Ya, the owner tab looks fine.

Just need to select your userid then screenshot the effective permissions tab... Everything looks like it should be fine, but the effective permissions is the best way to find out for certain what rights your account has over the file.

I put my user name in and closed it out. Tried to edit the file and after the 2nd edit got the same error. Oh well. I want to thank everyone for their help on this. I might have to just install XP and dual boot when scripting I guess.

ltlNk.png

Back