• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The process cannot access the file because it is being used by...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Does a different file extension make a difference?

Maybe windows is confused and thinks its a screensaver file (.scr), which is interfering with the rights. Grabbing at straws here.

Nope.. If I change the file ext to .txt or .rtf I get the same result.

Is a virtual machine easier to work with?

In your case, maybe. You mentioned running Linux as your main OS and a virtual machine would allow you to run Windows at the same time. No dual-boot required.

No I don't run Linux. I should dig into that I guess. But only because I need the the game/DX support to test my scripts and admin the servers.

So..I think I found the problem. My approach to this was flawed. The way I was testing if this occurs with different file extensions was starting out with the original .scr file and if it wouldn't save without error I would rename it to .txt, .cfg, .urm, .rtf etc. But...starting from a freshly created .txt, I can edit that file and/or rename it to anything and it will behave correctly until I renamed it to .scr ..then the problem starts again. I can rename that same file to .txt, .cfg, .urm, .rtf etc and the problem will stand. So it's explorer.exe holding onto the .scr extension right? Is there a way to remove that association? .scr is an extension the Quake3 engine uses to execute scripts. But I understand that in the Windows environment it's a screensaver extension. I think that has something to do with it. Obviously XP never grabbed on to it before like this though.

Edit:
????

I'm stumped..

Last edited:
*Fixed. Changed program association with .scr extension from screen saver to notepad++. Argg, so simple. Was driving me crazy..lol

Back