• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Thing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I update the first thread with pics as to not have pics burried in subsequent posts/pages... but I need to grab the SD card for the pic I forgot to take off the camera with the HS's installed, and a the screen shot of it actually crunching (gonna install a temp monitor too for the pic).

This whole experience was... :fight: ... :comp: ... now :bump: :clap:

A picture is indeed worth a 1000 words!!:D

Hey Steve did your Mobo have "node interleaving disabled" by default? If so I can save a reboot to check it. Or anyone else with a SM H8QGL-IF+ same question. This is pertaining to Tear's Kracken wrapper.

If you will install Thekraken, disable Node Interleaving, per Tear's guidance. I do not remember what the BIOS default is for that setting.

If you will install Thekraken, disable Node Interleaving, per Tear's guidance. I do not remember what the BIOS default is for that setting.
Yeah. I am trying to avoid the reboot;)...When I restart, I restart as I normally do correct? "The Kracken" will run from now on? Steve just did this so I think he will remember. My times have gone down about 2 minutes, from 24:25 a frame to 22:34. I only have 5 frames of Data though. 3 frames without Kracken 2 with it on.

If his was off I am not going to bother checking it...I'm pretty sure I saw it as off.(Even tough at the time I didn't no what it was for).

Yeah, I read up on that, but dont know the setting in my BIOS, there is not much in there to tweak much... Spread Spectrum, C0 states, stuff like that, but nothing on the "Node" stuff...

Pray for good weather, and most of all, power to stay on... the countys around me in Kansas where I am at are under tornado watches and to the west, more are under warnings... none here yet, but the wind is howling, and I can still see clear sky above, but lightning all around me :( I have a great surge protector, but I need to invest in a UPS system... If only I fired up my rig for folding a few hours earlier, my first W/U would be finishing right now! Oh well!!!

:rain::chair:

Yeah, I read up on that, but dont know the setting in my BIOS, there is not much in there to tweak much... Spread Spectrum, C0 states, stuff like that, but nothing on the "Node" stuff...

Pray for good weather, and most of all, power to stay on... the countys around me in Kansas where I am at are under tornado watches and to the west, more are under warnings... none here yet, but the wind is howling, and I can still see clear sky above, but lightning all around me :( I have a great surge protector, but I need to invest in a UPS system... If only I fired up my rig for folding a few hours earlier, my first W/U would be finishing right now! Oh well!!!

:rain::chair:
Yeah I hear ya.. the UPS from my 2600K just got confiscated that thing had run almost 300 wu's without a fail.

If I had started with the V6 client Sun instead of the V7 would have had one turned in as well. I really envy those faster CPU's. I feel confident Leonardo will slip us some insider Knowledge on his OC...:sn: He hangs out here cause we are so nice. You know those folks at the [H] hate puppies? Its true!:p

Oh yeah! I forgot I have their IRC loaded in my mIRC client... I will hop on over there when I get my courage up! I am too loyal of this team and the help I get here ;)

I feel confident Leonardo will slip us some insider Knowledge on his OC...

Hey, be nice! :) I hang out here and at [H], but I belong to neither Team 32 nor 33. Sorry, I don't have any 'insider' knowledge on overclocking G34 CPUs apart from what I already related here: it's a process involving flashing the RAM to allow a new JEDEC, a custom motherboard BIOS, and a Linux app installation called Juice, which enables the non-default motherboard and RAM settings to execute. I did not perform all those steps on my 4P hardware. I sourced my hardware - some new, some used, from several sellers. If I were to magically receive all new components for a new SM/4P build at my doorstep, I wouldn't be able to perform the 12.5% overclock without jumping on the [H] IRC and hoping one of the fine gentlemen there would have time to walk me through the several, potentially risky steps in the process. There are only a handful of people - in the world - that know how to do it from start to finish. Oh boy, now I've made sound conspiratorial and 'denied.'

MUST HAVE INFO ON OVERCLOCKING!!!

If I were to purchase new hardware for a second 4P build, I'd probably just cough, tighten my belt, and buy faster processors, rather than go the overclocking route.

Last edited:
Oh, not at all! those guys are nice, I chatted with them a while back to introduce myself incase i needed a fast 4p answer... but so far, all my requested info has been answered just fine for me here. Dont worry, I dislike intra-team drama...

I think I will be fine without OC'ing it... with all the oddity's and my extreme noobish server and linux-foo, I would hork somthing up! and then my wife would literally bring the phrase "ITS CLOBBERIN' TIME" to life! LOL!

I would hork somthing up! and then my wife would literally bring the phrase "ITS CLOBBERIN' TIME" to life! LOL!
Ah, 'The Wife Unit,' 'She Who must not be Displeased,' 'The Commanding Officer,' 'The Accountant.'

I know the story.

Thanks Tuigi, I have boinc set to no new tasks as soon as its done. I'll shut it down and plug the second one in...don't ask me why I only plugged one in, I wondered which 2 to use then got side tracked and forgot to plug the second one in. Any thoughts on which 2 to use? I still have not found definitive info on them. 2 are along the edge and a 3rd is slightly inboard of the other. I guess its logical to use the 2 next to each other on the edge. The sticky on them just said use 2 if under heavy load.

Thanks Leonardo, i ordered that one you linked, i dont think I have a 4pin eps. funny how many of those cable's were BO'ed on newegg.

Shouldn't matter. Just as long as it's providing the juice to the MB. I also use the two nearest the edge, but for no particular reason other than it makes the cabling neater. Plus, if I ever have the need to plug a third one in, it's much easier to get to the one that sits further into the MB.

Well, I had PowerNow enabled accidently (the TPC guide said to disable but I missed that) and after a random reboot while at work (kids I think) I went in an disabled it... my TPF went from 14:40's to 14:12! I just wanted to know too, incase it was a random error, could having PowerNow enabled crash the comp when I have that TPC installed?

Also, any one find a good way to cool the top right CPU? As you can see in my set up I have the "hot blowing the hot," and I cannot rotate due to spacing width of the cooler... Is that top right CPU "node 2 and 3"?? I only ask because it is running in the 50's the rest are 35-41... I will re seat the cooler too just incase.

Your best bet for improving cooling on the top right CPU would be to improve airflow across the heatsink vanes. Yes, I can see that there is no room between the top and bottom sinks to put a fan there. What you could try is to seal off the sizable gaps between the heatsink's fan and the heatsink itself. I assume the fan's orientation on that heatsink is pulling air away from heatsink and blowing it towards the ceiling of the computer case. It is most likely pulling air from the gaps between the sink and the fan (least resistance), and not pulling enough air off the warm vanes of the heatskink itself (higher resistance). Seal the gaps between the fan and the sink and the unit should then remove a lot more warm air from the heatsink vanes.

What are the warmest core temps that TPC reports? What is the delta from the coolest cores?

Last edited:
Screeny of my temps...

screenshot1ph.png

This is the reason I am probably going to spend the extra $100 on the boards that don't have this orientation.

Steve, that's definitely too much of a temperature spread. The spread on mine, same board configuration, different CPU fans configuration - all push orientation, is 10C. I am certain the problem with the 'hot' CPU is not a matter of circulating warm air, but a matter of inadequate airflow over the heatsink vanes.

Last edited:
Just by "hanging" two fans in a push pull configuration on the heat sink of the CPU in question (from the front, through, and back) ... sort of like a "box of fans" around the heat sink... all my temps dropped ~2-3 degrees, and Node 2/3 dropped to 46... thats 10 deg!!! Good for now, until I can configure something more perminate.

Back