• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the things I do for my computer...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I remember in electronics we had some industrial caps that were like 3 farads we'd charge them and short them out on the chairs and it send a spark about a foot long off the contact point and almost weld itself to the chair.. theres an equation im trying to dig up for capacitor discharge... but its not looking promising. Its in my notes somewhere. But depending on the cap itll estimate how fast they can discharge. I got my share of *bleeps* in modding also. Soldering irons falling to the floor and burning a hole in the carpet, dremmel slipping when cutting and the cutting wheels flying off in 39042940 directions, forgetting to wear saftey glasses when cutting plexi and I wold recommend wearing a full body suit if you cut plexi with a dremmel since the little bits of flaming plastic go into ur skin and stay there. What else, working on an old AT psu adding some molexes and forgetting it was plugged in.. that was fun.. punching the front of the case and my hand go straight through the 3 empty bezels slicing my hand on the sharp metal pieces inside. I can write a book.. lol theres plenty more.. You are not alone.

LOL Bouklah. These things are dangerous, no? Thanks for the tip about the plexi. I'll definitely make sure to wear long sleeves (well, I'd have a coat on anyways since I'll probably be doing it outside) and gloves. I've got a nice, thick (3/8") sheet of plexi i'm gonna use for a glowpad.

hehe

I was in electronics class one in my sophmore year of highschool. anyway or teacher was a bit of and idiot and left us to our own devices most of the time. We had a big box of caps in the back room and a small charging unit. These were huge caps, bigger around than my forearm and about 15 inches long. We charged about a dozen of these things up to their limit and started having 'fun'. (We took some care to be wearing thick soled shoes and very thick rubber gloves. We setup the caps and touched a screwdriver to the 2 leads. There would be a real bright flash and the screwdriver was very throughly welded to the cap., We also welded 2 stacks of 10 pennies into 2 solid lumps.

As opposed to a couple of big cold cathodes. Hmmm. I likey. Do the UV LEDs put out any visible light at all? If not, it would really rock since there would be no visible illumination, yet the flourescent stuff is still glowing.

I have tried UV LED's in a cdrw mod I did. The UV LED's didn't put out enough UV light; however, they did put out a good amount of visible light. They didn't light up the UV paint like I planned so I removed them and replaced them with a 4" cathode. I'll post a pic If I can find them.

Ok found a pic but it's pretty fuzzy. Probably has about 4v going to the one on the left and 2v on the right.

UV LED.jpg

Back