• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The things people throw away

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xtc4u

The night before garbage day last week i saw my neighbor had placed a computer case out on the curb. I went and checked it out and it had the motherboard and CPU still but the rest he musta kept. I took it home and put it aside. I finally got bored enough to pull the CPU out to see what it was and such. Well heres the specs i could find right now.

Motherboard is a Abit KT7A no version number on it anywhere. Doesn't have the RAID. No biggie i can find out lots on this board elsewhere.

The thing i really want to know is what CPU this is? It is an AMD but no idea what speed or whether its a duron athlon or what. When i looked at it the core where the stepping markings would be had what looked like baked on thermal grease. So i pulled out the trusty acetone and a q-tip and after 30 minutes if scrubbing i can finally read the numbers.

A1100AMS3B
AVHA 0104UPBW

Well now that i just typed that in i figured out its a 1.1Ghz CPU but what can i see for an overclock with the Motherboard and CPU setup?? Would it be worth putting back together and making it a folder? So many questions. Thanks for any replies folks.

CPU

Looks like a Tbird 1100. Probably can OC a little if its not dead. Yes, it can fold.

Well I just went over and asked him about it. He said everything was fine with it. So i guess i just gotta do some cheapskate shopping and find a PSU, Vid, HDD, maybe a floppy and RAM for it. Someone posted a link once to a CPU database type page where you entered the numbers and it would bring up info on the CPU and stuff. Anybody know this link??

Hey, that's a great deal. Those CPUs fold great, I used to have a Duron at that speed (it's gracing my sister's computer now).

Tell him before he throws any other electronics out to give you a chance at them if he would.

Xtc4u said:
Well I just went over and asked him about it. He said everything was fine with it. So i guess i just gotta do some cheapskate shopping and find a PSU, Vid, HDD, maybe a floppy and RAM for it. Someone posted a link once to a CPU database type page where you entered the numbers and it would bring up info on the CPU and stuff. Anybody know this link??

If you just want a lame computer for folding, you probably don't need all of those components... ask the folding forum, I think I read something about the minimum requirements for a folding box there.

wow lucky dumpsta find:D

i found a perfectly good printer once... just had some switches messed up; lucky i had the same model already so i jut got it out and compared the 2 for any and all differances:D

Well it will probably be more than just a folding computer. My fiance wants me to build her a computer. Since she just surfs the net with it I figure i could set it up for her. When shes not on it I can have it folding which will be 85% of the time. Should be fun to see what i can get it to do.

When I think of all of the perfectly good stuff that gets sent to landfills, etc., it breaks my heart.
Don't these people realize that there are people out there who don't have even one computer?
Much less the 2 or 3 they ought to have.
Right now I'm down to only 5 working computers!
I'm definitely going dumpster diving when the Chico State students bug out this year.
To heck with pride, I'm talking about saving computer stuff here!

Nice score by the way. You'd be surprised at what KT7A's are going for on ebay, especially the RAID ones.

I've found a perfectly working HP Laserjet 4MP, WITH toner, at the dump.

Amazing... lots of old Pentium computers; the fastest I found, I think, was a P166. Too slow for folding...

Back