• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Threadripper thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Here are two more reviews:

https://www.techspot.com/review/1465-amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-1920x/
http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3015-amd-threadripper-1950x-1920x-review

Overall it seems like AMD did a very good job on the Threadripper. Bang for buck trumps Intel as does performance in production workloads in general. Gaming performance is less than impressive and performance per core lags behind Intel, but these are minor issues considering what these sort of CPUs are really meant for. Furthermore, based on the value for money Threadripper represents, I can't help but thinking that Epyc will be a big success once released...

Definitely not a gaming CPU compared to Intel's cheaper offerings (with less cores of course). And single-threaded performance is no different or slightly worse than Ryzen (not unexpected). The tweaks you have to do based on workload I find to be pretty annoying to have to change between core/gaming mode and the UMA/NUMA memory setting in order to get the best performance at any given application.

Last edited:
Yep, you can say it's not a gamer chip 10k times, and still gamers show up and state the obvious. That being that it's not great for gaming. :)

For its intended uses however, threadripper appears to be a very nice product offering somewhere between 20-30% better performance than Intel's flagship at the same price point(lower at the moment), while consuming 5-10% less power. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more reviews, particularly with regard to x399 motherboards.

Definitely not a gaming GPU compared to Intel's cheaper offerings (with less cores of course). And single-threaded performance is no different or slightly worse than Ryzen (not unexpected). The tweaks you have to do based on workload I find to be pretty annoying to have to change between core/gaming mode and the UMA/NUMA memory setting in order to get the best performance at any given application.

I think it's good to have the option of switching between the two, though. Based on Hardware Unboxed's tests, it didn't seem to make a huge difference either way, so those that want to use the CPU for gaming can pretty much leave it in NUMA mode and those that want to concentrate on production workloads can just leave it in UMA mode. The programs one uses of course also dictate what the effect will be, so users might have to do some testing to see what works best for them at the moment. It will be interesting to see if and how the software developers take Threadripper's architecture into account in the future and what improvements (if any) BIOS updates bring.

It is pretty much exactly as I expected , but the low core single core still makes me sad this is a SS from a pauls hardware review on youtube vs me running the same test . I guess Im waiting for the next round of CPUs before I upgrade again . As I do zero production work I only use this system to game , and I haven't found any of my gaming lacking @ 1080p .
CPUpark.JPG

mine.JPG

So there you have it. Threadripper offers nothing for gamers that the 7700k can't provide more of...for less bux.

Holy crap, when did the computer world begin revolving entirely around video games?!? I have yet to see a single discussion about this HEDT product that didn't devolve into a discussion about how fast it can run solitaire. lol

Well despite the lackluster minecraft performance I went ahead and ordered a 1950x, 4x16GB, an x399 board, plus various water cooling & storage parts. Guess I'll just have to pass my time doing something productive since it's going to suck at running starcraft. :eek:

Anyone seen PPD in Fah with a TR yet?

So there you have it. Threadripper offers nothing for gamers that the 7700k can't provide more of...for less bux.

Holy crap, when did the computer world begin revolving entirely around video games?!? I have yet to see a single discussion about this HEDT product that didn't devolve into a discussion about how fast it can run solitaire. lol

Well despite the lackluster minecraft performance I went ahead and ordered a 1950x, 4x16GB, an x399 board, plus various water cooling & storage parts. Guess I'll just have to pass my time doing something productive since it's going to suck at running starcraft. :eek:

For most ppl it is about how it games .
What programs will you be running on this system , always excited when some one really has a need for these extreme $ cpus (not want need ) .

Last edited:
I have been in the forums every day for 3 years and I see less and less each year folks actually needing PCs for productivity. There are only a few folks that need the cores for productivity or Game streaming. My brother in law is a professor at Auburn university and he teaches a class in CAD and they don't render on the PC's it is all done in the cloud.

Well it's either that or Openstack that's the only reason to have so many cores/threads but even at that it doesn't deliver.

It's not the viewpoint of ' the computer world', but in our small niche/market/forum I'd bet from being active on these forums for the last 12+ years that 90+% of the posts regarding better performance/upgrades/etc are to get higher FPS in a game or being able to play a game with higher settings than they could before. We don't have many users that use their computer for HEDT projects, the most active area outside of gaming usage would be for folding@home discussions, but I don't know what type of PPD one of these CPUs could give, but it'd likely be much less than you can get with 2 GTX 1080s that you can snag for the $1000 it costs for the CPU itself.

Yeah, I'm just old I guess. Doesn't seem like it was so skewed to gaming even 10yrs ago. It's not just here btw, nearly every single discussion or review follow up of threadripper seems to end up focusing on FPS in xyz game. This despite the fact that buying a 16/32 CPU for gaming is just flat out burning money for no good reason. Most of it is epeen related I suppose.

...also while I realize people are doing a lot of this processing remotely, I'm not a fan of having all my data floating around in cyberspace. I'll continue to store my data locally as I've always done.

Nope. Threadripper appears to have 4 dies, but two are just blanks. The two active dies are arranged diagonally and the two blanks are there for stability according to AMD. The downforce on the huge IHS is significant and AMD's logic here seems sound as it's easy to imagine there'd be long term problems with just two dies on such a huge package. This makes perfect sense as Epyc is exactly 2x threadripper and we know that it uses 4 dies. So Epyc/2 = quad channel memory and 64 PCIe lanes.

Ryzen is two CCX's on a single die.

I am wondering how much of an increase in 3dmark/catzilla that core count would give...

I don't know what catzilla is even. lol ...but I think Ryzen and Threadripper had nearly identical scores in 3dmark. IOW 3dmark just couldn't scale with all the cores/threads. The only thing that interests me with regard to all this gaming stuff is possibly having fun fiddling with all the ways in which threadripper can be configured. UMA/NUMA + Game/Compatibility modes seem like they'll be a bunch of fun to monkey with. Plus nearly everyone is going with 4x32GB ram due to the crazy memory prices, but I got an unbeatable deal on 4x16GB, so the local NUMA modes should be even more appealing when each die still has access to 32GBs. Games are crazy sensitive to the increased intra and inter die latency of Threadripper, so some of these tweaks actually show some real differences.

I forsee difficulties with my social life in the near future. I suspect GF will get jelly if I'm tweaking a motherboard for a week str8. lol

Gaming benchies...naturally. ;p

Perhaps when I finally retire this ancient 7950 or it releases its inner blue smoke...whichever comes first. Heck the only game I've played in months is Counterstrike Source for a few minutes just to blow off steam. Shooting up the CTs can be rather therapeutic I admit.

Gaming benchies...naturally. ;p

Perhaps when I finally retire this ancient 7950 or it releases its inner blue smoke...whichever comes first. Heck the only game I've played in months is Counterstrike Source for a few minutes just to blow off steam. Shooting up the CTs can be rather therapeutic I admit.

You know PCs are all about gaming these days lol.:D

Back