• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal Compund Shootout

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
wow, ive never heard of most of those...that shin-etsu stuff looks good, i might have to get some :) i dont keep up with exchange rates, but £7.5 seems kinda high though. not to mention £15 shipping on a 2 oz package lol, maybe there is some other place to get it

Newegg has both the Coolermaster with SE, and the Shin Etsu compounds. I got some a while back. Don't remember the price.
Haven't used either yet.

Great find on the review. I had never seen that site before but I will be looking at it regularly. thanks for the link. I always thought AS3 was the best. Guess I'll try some of the g-751 goop or maybe even the coolermaster goop.
Heres a couple questions, Does the compound break down after prolonged use ie; 2/3/4 months? Should it be reapplied on a regular basis?

The company that makes (imports?) the shin etsu grease is close by, I'll call them- see if they will sell to me.

steve

Unfortunately the Inside Project review was done with:
"Hardware monitoring by using a flat thermal probe placed next to the CPU die underneath the shim and HSF
Any movement of the probe when changing compounds or any contamination by the compounds invalidates the results. Not to mention the severe secondary heat path. It’s sad that so many hardware Sites have such terrible test methodology.

I've been testing the shin etsu g-751 for the last couple of weeks and the results haven't been too good. I heated the compound first so I could apply it as thin as possible. The results after running prime95 for 72 hours was 1C better than the generic grease that I was using (sil mor). This was with a maze 3 and xp@1833mhz with 1.95 volts. I reapplied the stuff many times with no improvement. I also tried it with 2 other computers with the same results. water temps were accurate to +/- .5C and cpu reads in 1C increments. I ordered 3 tubes of the stuff from Ajigo with all 3 tubes showing the same results. The website that did the test showed the shin etsu to be 7C better than the sil mor with a 60 watt load. Since my cpu has a 50% higher load, the results should have been 50% better at around 10C. While my testing equipment is not state of the art, there is no way in a million years that I could be out by 9C. Either the stuff Ajigo sent to me is not g-751, or the stuff is bogus.

Freeloader there are other possible explanations for your results with Shin Etsu.

The review linked said that "Shin Etsu is expected to take 3 days to cure at medium/high heat, and that's when it is supposed to shine."

I have not been able to find any information verifying or elaborating on that statement. However if it is true, it brings up a couple possibilities.

You said that you heated the Shin Etsu up for easier spreading. Maybe heating the material up caused premature "curing" and limited the effectiveness of the compound.

In the review,the testing was done using an aircooled heatsink instead of a water block. Maybe the waterblock stays too cool to allow the material to "cure". The material in contact with the heatsink/waterblock may need to get hot in an installed situation in order to work correctly.

I don't have any facts to back any of this up, but I think these are issues that may need to be considered.

As I have said, I ran prime95 for 72 hours (3 days). I also tested it with 2 other computers and heatsinks, alpha pal 6035, and a stock pentium 3 heatsink. I also tested it without warming it up first, but the results were all the same. In one test, I ran the hsf at 7 volts to increase the temp and improve curing, but the results were the same. As I have mentioned, I bought 3 tubes so I tried everything under the sun to make my investment pay off.

I have talked with the local company, they will sell me a sample but I have to pick it up. their minimum order is $100, but I can get 1 tube. If it works as stated, maybe a bulk buy?

I will talk to SSS about this.

Freeloader said:
As I have said, I ran prime95 for 72 hours (3 days). I also tested it with 2 other computers and heatsinks, alpha pal 6035, and a stock pentium 3 heatsink. I also tested it without warming it up first, but the results were all the same. In one test, I ran the hsf at 7 volts to increase the temp and improve curing, but the results were the same. As I have mentioned, I bought 3 tubes so I tried everything under the sun to make my investment pay off.

Disappointing to hear this. I'll probably try mine out, in hopes you got scammed, but I'm a lot less optimistic now.

If you haven't ordered yet, you may want to try chillblast.com instead of ajigo. The tubes contain 50% more stuff. This may be because its a different formula. There is a g-749 formula that ajigo may be pawning off as g-751. The tubes aren't labeled with the formula number, so it would be easy for them to get away with it. The g-749 formula has been reported to be identical to my results, as tested by other users.

Back