• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal Compund Shootout

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hmmm

The description of the 751 compound sounds just like the syringes that used to accompany retail intel P-MMX chips. I used to have stacks of these syringes filled with a thick grey compound and used them for years until they dried out to the point that I couldn't get them to spread evenly. Although I thought highly of the stuff I never saw the disparity between it and white thermal grease or AS3 demonstrated in that test. Unfortunately I don't even have an empty syringe to check the numbers on at this juncture. Intel switched to white compounds applied the the HSF in the early celeron days and I haven't seen the grey filled syringes since.

All you guys keep posting, I'm tempted since it's only $10 after shipping but I have a near brand new tube of AS3 right here, I don't wanna waste the tried and true. Let me know how it does for you all.

--Illah

this is not the first time i have heard of this stuff. i do believe this is what intel used to use on its old pentium chips as indicated above. http://www.chillblast.com/ has it and is where i ordered some. i havn't tried it yet since my AS3 combo is working good, but maybe when i have too much time to kill i will put some of this stuff on my cpu and go for it.

Skou. Im interested in the bulk buy. You should make a thread for it... First find out how many tubes ya get for 100$ then total all fees, divide by number of tubes, and have folks sign up and paypal ya the moneys plus shipping to them (Please tell me you live in continental US.) Once you've got enough interested, make the order. If we are short folks. I might be able to take a few extras off your hands. Hell, if you get a good amount for that price I might take alot of them off your hands if your up to it. :)

Anyone get their's yet? How's it going? The price isn't much of an issue for me, it's cheap. I just don't wanna tear up my system if it's not any better than AS3.

--Illah

I talked to SSSam, he said the only place I can sell stuff is in Classifieds, I will probably get some to test, then think about selling it there.

steve

Got a tube of shin etsu g-751 and am trying it.

With repeated uses of AS3 I've found the best result I can get is my cpu running 9C above ambient. See sig below for setup.

Just applied shin etsu last night and am currently running Prime95. CPU is running 9C above ambient, yes same as AS3 initially. The link above that started this shows a big jump after some burnin time, I'll see.

It is much more like wood filler if you've ever used that, a thick putty. Does not spread as smoothly as AS3 but I used pretty much the same technique. I can now see why Freeloader tried all the variations in applying it.

I'll post after 3 days just to let ya know what happens. My bet would be, little change. :beer:

The ONLY thing valuable about this article is the list of compounds
that may not have been know before.

The rest is completely worthless. Ultimately web sites like this
fall on their own sword.

to bad they didnt use an internal diode for temp monitoring......... Personally i think for best long term a good thermal pad would be best as it would be sticky and mold the the cpu and heatsink. Also making sure if the computer gets bumped the heatsink~cpu junction doesnt get messed up. Ohwell, only time will tell, for quick testing or a few months then reaply paste the thermal paste is fine i think. Just i dropped 3 full C reapplying arctic alumina paste after it was on for around 4 months 24/7 run time, rebooted once every 3~4 days....win98se with a UPS and works pretty good for win98se stablity wise.

I hope it ends up dropping. That site mentioned surprising drops between days 2 & 3. There was also a link to some other forum where the members were praising the stuff. Even if the site has skewed results that shows something...

But yeah, keep us posted.

--Illah

deeppow, how full was the tube you recieved? the tubes I recieved had .4cc in each, while the tubes from chillblast had .6cc. Since the sizes are different, I'm thinking the formula may be different as well.

deeppow, how full was the tube you recieved? the tubes I recieved had .4cc in each, while the tubes from chillblast had .6cc. Since the sizes are different, I'm thinking the formula may be different as well.

About 4.5 so I would assume the same as .4 you got. It says "Shin-EtsuMicroSi www.microsi.com" on the side. Going down into their site and you find link which notes G-749 (not G-751) and its properties. (You've previously noted this fact.) Shows a "representative" thermal conductivity of 2.9 (W/m °K), about the same as gold. I sent an email to MicroSi asking the difference between 749 and 751. I'll see if I get an answer.

There is also a review of G-751 at meetthegeeks. Similar results as the initial post. Wonder if 751 is a new composition that is not yet released?

Last edited:
i sent an e-mail as well to them to see what is going on

do you guys know that the g-751 needs to be refrigerated in order to work properly. if its shipped without ice packs it doesnt work... which would explain why some people didnt get the expected results. you even have to store it in the fridge. on that geeks web page i found this which is the review of a NEWER shin etsu thermal paste

http://www.meetthegeeks.org/ourreview/2002/shinetsu7798d/

what do you guys think of that?

It may be that this stuff is highly suceptable to seperation. My stuff was in shipping for ten days with no "medipacks". Who knows if ajigo kept it refrigerated at all.

From what I read on other forums, chillblast doesn't actually carry the "new" stuff, only the original g-751 formula. It's hard to say when this new, non refrigerated version will become available. Hopefully, those e-mails will give us some info.

Back