• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal Compund Shootout

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i e-mailed chillblast and asked if they store/ship it cooled. hopefully i get a good response but unless we get this stuff shipped properly it will cure on the shelf instead of on the cpu, which is probably why it isnt working for those who ordered it already. it isnt exactly obvious that you have to cool this stuff, so lets hope some e-mails give us some info

Despite the refigeration-element people do seem to be getting some good results. The link near the begining of the thread to xtremesystems or something has people raving about it, plus the two reviews at geek and the other one. I can't wait to see how deppow does.

I'm a big thermal paste fan. Sounds stupid, but the $$$/temp ratio of a good paste is far far far beyond anything else. I don't understand how people will shell out tall money on a big heatsink then be too cheap to get a good paste...

--Illah

ill be watching this one from afar. i really dont think its better stuff. mostly becase i didnt see a list of the ingrediants of this new stuff. i mean therees not much out there that conducts better than silver and the AS boys have been using that for years now, im sure they perfected it.

phantom punisher said:
ill be watching this one from afar. i really dont think its better stuff. mostly becase i didnt see a list of the ingrediants of this new stuff. i mean therees not much out there that conducts better than silver and the AS boys have been using that for years now, im sure they perfected it.

Yes, but silver particles limit how thin the thermal compound joint can become. Perhaps the Shin Etsu stuff squeezes out better with heat and pressure. That's the only way I could see it being a substantially better thermal compound.

I too would like to see more info from the manufacturer. Maybe someone needs to let their marketing department know that if their stuff is really better, they need to get the word out and explain why.

i mean therees not much out there that conducts better than silver and the AS boys have been using that for years now, im sure they perfected it.

thats not entirely true. im not saying they use diamonds in their thermal compound, but there are ways having controlled heat transfer (ie... out of the cpu, but not in)

who cares how they do it so long as people get better temps. not the review guys since they can be bs'ing but the people in this forum who tried it. lets see what their temps are and then we can decide how good this stuff is for ourselves

big_bertha said:

thats not entirely true. im not saying they use diamonds in their thermal compound, but there are ways having controlled heat transfer (ie... out of the cpu, but not in)

who cares how they do it so long as people get better temps. not the review guys since they can be bs'ing but the people in this forum who tried it. lets see what their temps are and then we can decide how good this stuff is for ourselves

its entirely true that theres not much better than silver at conducting heat. and for controled heat transfers? heat flows from high to low. im not sure what your saying is clear in english. and of course ill belive the people of this forum witch is why i said ill be watching. but i think i can guess at the out come of a oem product thats been around for a long time without being put in the spotlight. but hey, i hope im wrong, that would be great to drop a degree

There may be other properties which were more appealing to oem's than the thermal conductivity. Longevity would be high on their list.

wildfrogman, you got that link for those thermal pads you say are good? i got a sample comming to me, im gonna compare it to as3 on my cpu, and when i make my die sim, im gonna try it on there too

In case you've not seen this thread, have a look. It has some good/interesting links. In particular is a review that used P3 (on-die temp measurement?). AS3 wins.

I would say this tends to raise the issue of experimenter techniques and if they can control them. Else somebody ain't on the up & up. :mad:

Last edited:
In particular is a review that used P3 (on-die temp measurement?). AS3 wins.

That review is problably the worst paste comparison on the planet. A 5C difference between as2 and as3 with less than a 30 watt load is impossible. That would equate to a 15C difference at 100 watts. The real difference should be 1c or less with a 30 watt load

deepow, how are your temps doing. Have you seen any improvement yet?

seems like paste application could have been better maybe? The guy didnt cycle the shin estsu stuff, it is fairly thick if i remeber right and performs better after it gets warm almost like a thermal pad. Then allowed to cool down and it thins out and then performs like it normally does.

The company did respond to my question,
The G-751 is a better performing thermal grease in comparison to G-749. FYI - the G-749 thermal grease has been discontinued. The replacement thermal grease (same formulation) is G-765. The difference between the G-749 and G-765 is the company that supplies us with the filler.

Best regards,
David Dalesandro
Shin-Etsu MicroSi
10028 S. 51st St.
Phoenix, AZ 85044

My temps remain the same as when I use AS3. Don't see much if any difference.

wildfrogman, sounds like it needs to be cycled? Any suggestions? Now that I got this stuff I might as well try to set it up as best I can. Right now my conclusion would be to use AS3, much easier to apply and get same results. :D

This post deleted by its "derogatory and insulting" author so that it will not be (so) necessary
"to defend the little guys against the tyranny of the know-it-alls."

Last edited:
G-751

edited by cw823

4. We do not permit advertising OF ANY KIND! This includes posting your URL, offering items for sale or trade Or announcements of new sites This applies equally to commercial and private ads. We do permit Senior Members to post their URLs - this is the only exception.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't consider that advertising, to be fair. We asked questions regarding a product and an employee of the manufacturer was generous enough with his time to answer them in the forum. Of course to ensure this is not a problem, you could simply email one of the members who has contacted you, and they can quote your email here. It's semantics true, but I'd bet that none here would have issue with it.

The G-751 and G-749 are different thermal materials. Please see attached pdf files.

Shin-Etsu has discontinued the G-749 product. The replacement (same formulation as G-749) grease is G-765.

i got a response too. seems similar so now we know. i am still curious about that other stuff so i e-mailed dave back. heh. he is reading it here and in his e-mail.

hopefully someone will do a "scientific" test as BillA suggested. dont have any so i cant but first people need a test rig NOT in a case. that gets rid of other heat interfearence

Back