• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal paste...strips?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sannakji

Registered
I've mostly used stock fans or heatsinks that came with pre-applied paste in the past. Once I tried the bead method myself on a cooler that didn't have any pre-applied and it did not go well. Bad temps despite it being a great cooler and the paste looked burnt when I ripped the cooler off to check. Maybe I applied too much. I know its a super simple process, I'd rather just not have to deal with it. Are there strips available online that I can just apply to the cpu that will then melt once its all booted up so I don't have to worry about it?

Something the size of a strip that you can actually handle will be too much paste for sure.

Just a dab, slightly smaller than a small pea, is all you need.

Well, this hypothetical product would be shipped in peelable paper I'm supposing. Basically what you find on the bottom of Corsair AIO's and the like. I'm sure they're applied to the heatsink in the finished square state.

Yes, and what you find pre-applied on things like AIO's is too much paste.

Can you even put too much paste on? most of it should squeeze out to the edges of the cpu/heatsink boundry. With the clamps you get with the coolers I don't think you'll leave any xtra if you attach firmly.

Yes, and what you find pre-applied on things like AIO's is too much paste.

Huh. I always got decent temps with my h80i (perhaps because it ran like a harrier jet) and when removing it I didn't notice an excess on the chip.

Can you even put too much paste on? most of it should squeeze out to the edges of the cpu/heatsink boundry. With the clamps you get with the coolers I don't think you'll leave any xtra if you attach firmly.

Yes, you can. Ideally it should cover the IHS without any running over the side. If it runs over the side you're hurting temps.

Huh. I always got decent temps with my h80i (perhaps because it ran like a harrier jet) and when removing it I didn't notice an excess on the chip.

Especially on the smaller CPU like 115X Corsair has too much TIM. When you remove that and apply new you should drop a few °C just from the better application.

Back