• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal paste upgrades to GPU..worth the hassle?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eco_bach

Hi
Anyone try this thermal paste upgrade mod to your GPU?
If so, what were your results? Worth the hassle?

Just ordered some Arctic MX4 for my CPU and wondering if I should try this with my 3 GTX GPU's.

Sure, nothing wrong with swapping out TIMs. Just be sure your GTX's don't have a warranty sticker that you have to break off thus voiding warranty. I've always swapped TIMs on all my cards. I've used MX4/AS Ceramique and Noctua's NT-H1.

You are wasting time and risk the warranty of your GPU's for 3/4c drop max, maybe nothing...

Manufacturers do a proper job nowadays, and even better job on high end cards.

You are wasting time and risk the warranty of your GPU's for 3/4c drop max, maybe nothing...

Manufacturers do a proper job nowadays, and even better job on high end cards.

Not true my brutha. Most of my card's factory TIM was horrible and temps to match. Once I swapped out the TIM, temps improved by quite alot. I got into the habit of redoing the TIM on all my cards because of that. I have yet to get a card that the TIM used actually works as it should and is not globbed on by some 5 year old in a sweat shop.

I tried it on some, but can't say I noticed any useful difference in the ones I've done. Unlike CPUs we go die to heatsink here, so there isn't as much scope for a thermal gradient.

Op, what three video cards do you have and what do these cards do, game, mine, fold? The other thing I would be interested in knowing is have you had these cards since new or are they second hand.

I have found it necessary to romance thermal paste on some of my gpu especially older cards that I picked up second hand. This was more due to the age of the paste and it drying out mire than anything else.

So as far as replacing the paste, if the card runs fine under normal conditions and is not over hearing it is probably not worth the hassle especially if your card employs thermal pads that have to be messed with as well.

If on the other hand your card is overheating normally or if you compare the card to others with the same exact card and your temps are unusually high than it may be a candidate for a thermal paste replacement.

Lastly, if these cards are mining or folding 24/7 than it may be worth replacing the thermal paste even if it only gets you 3-5 degrees. The cards will benefit by any heat reduction when used under these circumstances.

Op, what three video cards do you have and what do these cards do, game, mine, fold? The other thing I would be interested in knowing is have you had these cards since new or are they second hand.

I have found it necessary to romance thermal paste on some of my gpu especially older cards that I picked up second hand. This was more due to the age of the paste and it drying out mire than anything else.

So as far as replacing the paste, if the card runs fine under normal conditions and is not over hearing it is probably not worth the hassle especially if your card employs thermal pads that have to be messed with as well.

If on the other hand your card is overheating normally or if you compare the card to others with the same exact card and your temps are unusually high than it may be a candidate for a thermal paste replacement.

Lastly, if these cards are mining or folding 24/7 than it may be worth replacing the thermal paste even if it only gets you 3-5 degrees. The cards will benefit by any heat reduction when used under these circumstances.

Agree with Loch. :thup:

Agree with Loch. :thup:

Thanks for the reply!
1 TitanXP 1 yr old
2 new GTX 1080 FE's

Used almost 100% for GPU rendering.
Air cooled so rendering temps high 60's even with maxed fan rpm.
Not maximum 24/7 , but on average 12 hour renders 2-3 times a week

This isn't technically a mod. I just call it replacing the thermal compound.

For new GPU's, I wouldn't bother, they have decent compounds on recent cards. For used cards that are 4+ years old, I tend to always replace the compound, mainly because when I buy used GPU's they tend to be dusty or have heat sinks that are covered in hair and I pretty much always have to take them apart and clean them.

That said, I have seen 6-8°C temperature drops on older cards with old thermal paste after its dried up.

Not true my brutha. Most of my card's factory TIM was horrible and temps to match. Once I swapped out the TIM, temps improved by quite alot. I got into the habit of redoing the TIM on all my cards because of that. I have yet to get a card that the TIM used actually works as it should and is not globbed on by some 5 year old in a sweat shop.

I pretty much always replace mine and all but once it helped. My 5870 looked like crap but I never even got as good of temps as the stock application the entire time I used it somehow.

I wound up doing this unintentionally the other night, when I was picking apart my pny 1050 ti for cleaning. It was already past the point of no return (with this little red NO circle sticker on the final philips screw), and then i realized I had disturbed the TIM when the two glops fell apart between the heatsink and die. It was particularly sloppy in its stock application, so I cleaned it up and replaced it with Noctua's compound, though for the card I doubt there will be much motivation for its users to mess with its stock config.

I wound up doing this unintentionally the other night, when I was picking apart my pny 1050 ti for cleaning. It was already past the point of no return (with this little red NO circle sticker on the final philips screw), and then i realized I had disturbed the TIM when the two glops fell apart between the heatsink and die. It was particularly sloppy in its stock application, so I cleaned it up and replaced it with Noctua's compound, though for the card I doubt there will be much motivation for its users to mess with its stock config.

Yeah there are cards that have some sort of warranty sticker over one of the screws. Once you damage that, it's all over. Might as well go all the way and finish the job.

Back